Hacking How to play games region free for everybody

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
*Update*: Apparently this only fixes the color issues of 50% of the games with them

This only works, if the following conditions are met:
- you get the game to work at all, but with wrong colors in SoftChip with disc region video mode and force language if necessary
- the game doesn't have a special protection against this or an unknown error when doing this(Rygar for example is one of the games that doesn't work with video mode patches, and for example in Madworld you can't access the home menu if the video mode is patched)
- the game doesn't have other .dol files
Some of the games listed here under need IOS Version patching:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123307
have other .dol files. And Sam & Max Season 1 and FarCry most likely have more too.

How to get import games to work in general:
1. Check if your prefered loader is able to run the game in your video mode. To "select" the video mode force either NTSC or PAL60(don't use PAL 50 on NTSC games!) in Gecko OS or Gamma. If you have for example a PAL Wii and a NTSC game, in SoftChip, system settings video mode sets to PAL and disc region video mode sets to NTSC. If the game doesn't work in your video mode, try the other one.
2. If the game doesn't work with both video modes, try to force the language of the game and to force the language of your Wii and try both with both video modes.
3. If you get the game to work, but only with wrong colors one of the 2 following methods hopefully works for you

Import users and modchip users:
Don't be confused by the fact that SoftChip is called backup launcher, you don't need a cIOS to use this. But you should select the IOS the game wants, if you have logging in SoftChip(or my toy) enabled, you can get this info from the logfile under /SoftChip/ on your sd card. You could use IOS36 for nearly all games if you are too lazy to look it up.

Softmodders just need to set the toy to IOS249 as they need to do it in SoftChip.

Let the toy do the work

Step by step guide:
1. Get my toy, R7 or higher
2. Select to force language if necessary
3. Select the video mode your want
4. Select "Patch video modes"
5. Run the game

How to fix color issues with import games with unpatched discs and/or originals with manual main.dol patches[avdvanced users only]:

Requirements:
- 1:1 copy of the game(best is completely unpatched) or original disc
- sd card

- my toy R7 or higher

- the Generic Wii Patcher (or anything else to patch the main.dol)
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77938

How it works:
The main.dol from the game contains the video mode(s) used by the game and can be patched to use other video modes. My toy allows you to load the main.dol from the sd card instead of the regular loading from disc.

Step by step guide:
1. Download the 2 tools and "install" them
2. Run my toy while the game you want to play is inserted. Select "dump main.dol"
(if you have autoboot enabled in SoftChip you need to tap(not press) 1 to enter the menu)
3. When the dumping is finished, plug the sd card into your pc
4. Start the Generic Wii Patcher and open the main.dol on the sd card under /SoftChip/GameID/
5. A: Hit search in the video mode section and patch the direction you want to patch(PAL->NTSC or NTSC->PAL)
B: Click at advanced and patch the video modes you want to patch, manually
6. Save and plug the sd card into your wii
7. Run the toy again, make sure you selected the video mode you want to start the game with
8. Select "load main.dol"
8. Hit A and have fun

PS: If you don't want to use my toy everytime you play the game, you can use it to test the main.dol patches and integrate the patched main.dol into your .iso before (re)burning.

Download:
R8:
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/vit...ppatchtoyr8.zip
Thanks Arm for the mirror

Look inside this thread for mirrors when the link is dead!

D

Deleted User

mine is a ntsc wii the game is wii music and my tv is ntsc too and yes i did

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how long does the dump take? is it just dumping the main.dol ?? sorry i would try but im sitting in an airport waiting for my connecting flight home..

also does this work for all games? i.e. going from pal-->ntsc ???

Posts merged

andy249901 said:

lol i was just going to ask about pal wii music to ntsc...too funny

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
andy249901 said:

Hmm, you opened the main.dol which the toy dumped. Clicked on search, then patch Pal to NTSC and then Save (not save wip)?
If you did, i'm sorry, this doesn't help you, i was sure this works for all games. If you are not sure, please delete the files before you start over from scratch.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Valgreen said:
how long does the dump take? is it just dumping the main.dol ?? sorry i would try but im sitting in an airport waiting for my connecting flight home..

also does this work for all games? i.e. going from pal-->ntsc ???

It dumps all files which are loaded by all loaders. These are 2 unknown files(32 byte each), the bi2.bin, main.dol and fst.bin.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
andy249901 said:
i guess it does not help then cuz i tried again thanks anyways

Hmm, does the game boot up at all? If you select disc settings video mode ALL games(unpatched 1:1) should be bootable, but in their region video mode. (black&white for some people but working)

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ether2802 said:
Why is people having troubles with games diferent region of their Wii's?? is it because of the STD TV's??

It mainly because some us tvs seem to be very cheap. I would need it because i use a rgb cable and can't play anything in NTSC video mode with this.(i would get the red&black playback i mentioned)

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
STD = standart
tongue.gif
; and aparently my TV supports PAL signal too 'cuz I can run all the games thru the Disc Channel and none have a problem (rebooter on Gamma), but when I want to go back to Menu the Wii light stays green but the tv shows nothing, only when i use PAL games

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wiisel said:
so this runs like softchip and uses the main.dol as like a config??

No this runs my toy, which is a modificated version of SoftChip r74. Ok, in fact it loads the main.dol from disc as usual, but then overwrites the main.dol in memory with the one from sd card.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
STD = standart
tongue.gif
; and aparently my TV supports PAL signal too 'cuz I can run all the games thru the Disc Channel and none have a problem (rebooter on Gamma), but when I want to go back to Menu the Wii light stays green but the tv shows nothing, only when i use PAL games
maybe true but STD also is the abbreviation for "Sexually Transmitted Diseases" at least that's what it means in America.
that's why i found it kinda funny tv's getting aids and such lololol.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
all its doing is booting the game after i launch the dol cant get any menu up
should i load it before i put the disc in?

edit*
inserting disc after launching gives black screen until the disc is inserted then it boots the game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill