Hacking Whiite-Linux Installer!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Yes, true. An easy Installer, which you can set up on Windows or Mac was released on Dec 09 2008. Basicly, the Installer runs from the Wii, you only have to copy some files to a USB-Stck and the SD-Card. Very useful for all the Noobs outthere. Instructions:

QUOTE said:
Required:
-USB-Keyboard (--> For the Wii, not the PC)
-USB-Stick
-SD-Card
-PC/Laptop (Linux, Windows, Mac)

1) Backup the contents of the SD card you use for The Homebrew Channel
2) Get http://downloads.sf.net/gc-linux/whiite-li...r-BETA1.tar.bz2
3) Open it and copy the whole "apps" directory with its subdirectories and files to the root of the SD card that you use withThe Homebrew Channel
4) Get http://downloads.sf.net/gc-linux/whiite-li...0.1_2.6.27b.tar
5) Open it and copy the following three files to the root directory of a USB stick (copy them as is, do not decompress them):
- whiite-linux-installer.conf
- debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar.bz2
- whiite-linux-kernel-2.6.27b.tar.bz2
6) Connect a USB keyboard and the USB stick to the Nintendo Wii
7) Boot The Homebrew Channel with your SD card inserted and select the "whiite-linux Installer" icon
8) Once the installer has booted, and shows the welcome screen, you have to decide wether you:
- (option A) put a new *BLANK* SD card into the front SD card slot
- (option B) *ERASE* the card that is currently inserted and that you have backed up on the first step
9)Follow the installer instructions, and choose an appropiate size for the Homebrew Channel partition.
10) Once the installer has finished it will reboot your console.
11) Boot The Homebrew Channel with your SD card inserted and select the "whiite-linux k2627b" icon

Important:
- DO NOT REMOVE THE SD CARD WHILE LINUX IS RUNNING
- ALWAYS SHUTDOWN LINUX CLEANLY (CTRL-ALT-DEL IS OK)
- If you choosed (option B) before, then you can manually copy back the the FAT partition of the SD card the contents backed up on the first step

I'm just trying it..takes some time to install, but it's easy, looks good and works!!!

QUOTE said:
If you want to install XWhiite, download it here, rename it to debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar, and replace it on the root of the USB-Stick with the already existing debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar!!! Continue then like before.

f you want to install Gentoo, download it here, rename it to debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar, and replace it on the root of the USB-Stick with the already existing debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar!!! Continue then like before.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
nicksasa said:
yea thats out for a couple of days and whiite sucks xwhiite or gentoo is way much better

Yeah, I know, but If you want to install one of these, I think it isn't that hard to rename the required Packages for xWhiite and Co and place it at the same location...it should also work then, I think..
unsure.gif

EDIT: Installer worked, very smooth install, Whiite works too!!!

EDIT2: Now trying to install XWhiite with the Installer...wish me luck!!!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Edited.
wink.gif

Now trying to install XWhiite with the Installer...(Only renamed the filesystem and putted it in the same direction...)

XWhiite also worked!!!!!

Look first post for Instructions!!!

intestlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is their any way I can unpartition my SD card after doing this? I accidentally ran the installer with my 1GB sd card and I installed whiite by accident instead of Xwhiite, is their any way I can still unpartition my SD card or reinstall xwhiite over the already installed whiite partition.

intestlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
Why don't you just back up what is on the partition you can see which contains the homebrew stuff and format t and then copy all that back.. then do the installation steps with the xwhiite instead..

Following me?

Yah, but when I format the SD card, it doesn't format the partition that the whiite installer made, and when I try to delete the partition through the windows management, it gives me a fail error. If you know any way that I can format the partition the whiite installer made me, then please tell me how to do it.

intestlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
air2004 said:
heres a link for it
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html

THX, I will try it out. You can find the password and login stuff on CODE wiibrew.org

Edit: I tried it out and it works like a charm THX a lot I thought my SD was going to be dead forever lol. When will that channel come out I can't wait?!!!! One more thing, whenever I run the installer, it shows that it is untarring and all that stuff, but when it finishes at 100%, it turns to a black screen and stays that way. When I turn the wii off, and turn it back on and I go to the homebrew channel with the inserted SD card that was partitioned, I don't see the whiite linux app that is supposed to show up which the installer was supposed to create. Does anybody know the problem?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
air2004 said:
Anyone know the root's password though ? I cant login into it

It's whiite
wink.gif

QUOTEWhen it finishes at 100%, it turns to a black screen and stays that way.

Yep, had that before...but not on 100%...I solved it simply with pressing a Key on the Keyboard...looks like the installer goes in "Sleep" or something, if it goes too long...

BTW: Will try Gento today with the installer.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Little Update:

Gentoo seems to install fine, but it takes very looooong...

Instructions:
QUOTE said:
If you want to install Gentoo, download it here, unrar it, rename Bliight-beta.tar to debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar, and replace it on the root of the USB-Stick with the already existing debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar!!! Continue then like before.

But like I said, seems...I get an Error (Failed to start the X-Server, etc...)

@ganons: Sorry, I don't know...I don't have an Ethernet-Adapter, so I can't download it...

intestlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got XWiite to work, but I don't see any start bar at the bottom or top of the desktop. Does anyone know how to enable it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-