Hacking system menu 3.1, please help!!!

WilliamAlanBaile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I am trying to perform the twilight hack, install the homebrew channel, use the wad manager and backup loader on my friend's wii... but she has system menu version 3.1u. I know I don't want to do a full nintendo update to the latest 3.3 and then drunkenly try and figure out how to undo the damage, so is 3.1 ok to install the homebrew listed above? I was under the impression 3.2 is needed. Please help!

Do I do a full update, or can I manually update to 3.3 (but not the late-october version)? Or is none of this needed?

WilliamAlanBaile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok, no wiiware but everything else is fine, including using the wad manager and backup loader?

and, hah, like anyone uses their real name on the internet

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not under the new 3.3 but under 3.1 yes. So best stay there... or throw in Mario kart or something that will rbing you up to 3.2.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Slowking said:
Not under the new 3.3 but under 3.1 yes. So best stay there... or throw in Mario kart or something that will rbing you up to 3.2.
Mario Kart is only 3.1 (With a game specific update). open the iso and look at the included wads - no 3.2.

Install HBC and Wadmanager - then take the wads from bushings recovery disc (the one for your region of course) and install them on your wii (ios first, then system menu). Reboot and you are at 3.2.

Install starfall if you so wish. Pointless updating if you don't want starfall though - nothing needs 3.2/3.3 yet.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm also interested in updating my system menu (3.1e) to 3.2 in order to install starfall.
My wii is not chipped, so the recovery disc is out of the question I figure.
How would I go about this ?

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
You extract the wads from the recovery disc and use wadmanager to install them as per my previous reply.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cool thanks.
I guess I'll need an app like extractpartition (?) or something to extract the wads ?
Will this extracting of the wads be somewhat self explanatory ?

Asking for the whereabouts of this recovery disc would be not allowed on these boards right ?

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Check http://hackmii.com/ for the disc - bushing made it and released it on there iirc - it's definitely on rapidhsare if you look. Make sure to get the one for your region.

Trucha or wiiscrubber will be able to extract the wads from it. Simply a case of right clicking and choosing extract, then choose a destination.

Do it for the IOS wad and system menu wad, save to your SD card. Use wadmanager to install the IOS first, then the system menu.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
For the Wiiware, you can also just patch them manually, see here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=110711 (tested on several games and it worked perfectly).

The Wiiware which don't work with 3.1 are mostly the ones which have some online functions (Dr. Mario, Megaman 9, Tetris), although Bomberman is working fine and have an online mode.

For the others things, everything is working with 3.1 (Homebrew Channel, Wads [Virtual Console/Wiiware], Backup Loader, etc...)

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@quim69:

Thanks, found it after browsing hackmii.com.

Can someone please confirm the v290 is the EUR / PAL version of the system menu ?
Don't wanna brick my unit on this...
Thanks

Aceflor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
FRanatic said:
@quim69:

Thanks, found it after browsing hackmii.com.

Can someone please confirm the v290 is the EUR / PAL version of the system menu ?
Don't wanna brick my unit on this...
Thanks

The answer would interest me too..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: A knuckle sandwich with extra grease.