Xbox One to Support USB Multimedia Including .MKV, DLNA Streaming Coming Soon

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Im guessing it still won't support 10bit h264..
and even if it does it prolly won't do ass subs, or won't do em properly.
unfortunately warez scene is few years behind anime scene so unless it becomes common thing it won't be supported by commercial media players, then again by the time it gets supported by most players anime scene will prolly be playing with a new toy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im guessing it still won't support 10bit h264..
and even if it does it prolly won't do ass subs, or won't do em properly.
unfortunately warez scene is few years behind anime scene so unless it becomes common thing it won't be supported by commercial media players, then again by the time it gets supported by most players anime scene will prolly be playing with a new toy.

Or perhaps the warez scene continues to give a damn about allowing playback on more devices and does not feel the need to have fairly pointless things like 10 bit in a final encode.
The warez scene has its issues, their choices of file size/bitrates being a big one there for me, especially in TV world (one that always seems to be on the tipping point or actually bad if there is a lot of action), but a lack of a push for 10bit per channel colours is not really one of them.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Or perhaps the warez scene continues to give a damn about allowing playback on more devices and does not feel the need to have fairly pointless things like 10 bit in a final encode.
The warez scene has its issues, their choices of file size/bitrates being a big one there for me, especially in TV world (one that always seems to be on the tipping point or actually bad if there is a lot of action), but a lack of a push for 10bit per channel colours is not really one of them.

And because it doesn't support there are no players that support it ;/ let's be honest, those hw players support formats that are standards in warez scene.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring early efforts of DVD players with MPEG4 support (getting things to work there always leaned a bit heavy on the goat sacrifice for my tastes, mainly as I could not eat the goat afterwards) yeah, and? It would seem to another entry on the rather long list of "you know what it is used for, we know what it is used for, everybody knows what it is used for but nobody needs to say it" type things.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And because it doesn't support there are no players that support it ;/ let's be honest, those hw players support formats that are standards in warez scene.

Even if they support it (which few release groups do), there still won't be industry support on 10 bit H.264. Blu-ray doesn't use them for starter, and no consumer display device supports native 10 bit input. 10 bit support in the future really depends on whether 10 bit H.265 will be backed by the industry.

I disagree the notion that 10 bit H.264 is pointless as FAST6191 had repeatedly said. There is dramatic size reduction while keeping the quality same on anime release. It is a good archival choice. Plus if people are serious about video playback they should invest in building a HTPC, which has numerous advantages beside 10 bit playback.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The smaller size for same quality, being pushed as a reason for 10bit seems strange.

Use 10bit because smaller size = same quality, but then the same does not seem to applied to other stuff. Most sd rips still seem to come as xvid, even though x264 could get the same quality at smaller size.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The smaller size for same quality, being pushed as a reason for 10bit seems strange. Use 10bit because smaller size = same quality, but then the same does not seem to applied to other stuff. Most sd rips still seem to come as xvid, even though x264 could get the same quality at smaller size.
Nothing strange about it. One video codec replaces another as one can get even smaller while retaining the same visual quality. This is called compression efficiency; how much can I compress without dropping in visual quality. Newer video codecs/profiles strive to improve compression efficiency.

XVID is still being used for number of reasons. More hardware supports it, and it takes considerably less time to encode than x264. A lot of warez release group don't use performance computer to compress their video in the first place.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of warez release group don't use performance computer to compress their video in the first place.

If you include some of the p2p lot then sure, most of the scene TV groups seem to sport reasonable rigs and are always on the lookout for others with decent hookups there. The DVD/disc types are slightly less concerned but I from what has been seen they do not play with aging celerons or anything.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"I bet this won't support my favourite obscure format that nobody uses or supports because it's obscure and thoroughly useless! Grumble grumble, this is useless to me!"

This thread in a nutshell. Newsflash, this also won't support VHS and Laserdisc.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For starters if someone takes 480p rather than 1080p it means he either doesn't have the hardware or doesn't care about quality.

Foxi4: well i'm quite sure it will support mpeg2 and that is quite damn obscure piece of crap.
besides even cellphones can 10bit h264 these days, and if cellphones have better media capabilities than new generation console that's been advertising it's media capabilities from the beginning then this generation is already fucked.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
they can uyse real media video for all i care, it's a crap quality obscure codec.

Anyway, i can understand dvd which is ancient, but blu ray ? the fact it's still being supported is a joke.

edit: btw the fact they're adding mkv only now is a joke by itself given they were marketing it as media box, even my old mid end plasma could do that before xbone was even released.

well whatever, let the plebeians suffer with their crappy overpriced products, meanwhile i'm gonna go run my steam in big screen mode, use my old x360 gamepad to launch xbmc and watch something on my plasma which is connected to my pc through hdmi.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, it won't be that good of a news if they enforce (or have to enforce) Cinavia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

Any Blu-ray complaint player made in 2012 and beyond needs to enforce Cinavia. Manufacturer has no say to the matter.

The only thing is whether that enforcement extends to media files, or solely limits to DVD/Blu-ray disc.

stefer

Trophies
Website
stefer.weebly.com
XP
Country
Canada
Any Blu-ray complaint player made in 2012 and beyond needs to enforce Cinavia. Manufacturer has no say to the matter.

The only thing is whether that enforcement extends to media files, or solely limits to DVD/Blu-ray disc.

Yep exactly. The PS3 do enforce it on media files. BUT they have things to lose, with all the movies they publish, and all the movies in their store...

I don't know about MS, the only xbox i ever owned was 1st gen.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dunno what your house looks like mate, but for me, with a slightly whiny missus, this is good news (as is, I suspect!, the upcoming news that the PS4 will also feature it around the same time). Plonk yerself down in front of the telly after a hard days work, fire up the console for a few games of something, then simply switch to the media player in seconds... hell you can probably snap it in.... Don't recall them calling it a selling point either.
And besides, Xbox One (or PS4) do not make the same noise from the fans - both are very quiet in comparison.... quieter than Wii U in fact.
I've had an android tv stick for about 2 years now. ( about 60~100 euro here )
Using XBMC ( KODI ).
Trust me, your perception of viewing movies ( when and where ) and viewing media will shift, as it hardly gets any better.
No need for payed subscriptions ( No Netflix ), no more DOWNLOADING etc, just pick a movie and view, all in HD, and it's so much more convenient.
I kept wondering why I did'nt buy one eralier, and why there is even a need for media support on consoles.
Consoles are made to play games, most people seem to forget this, besides there are FAR better options to view media.

Quieter tha Wii U? Well that;s probably DEAD silence then, nice to know.
My 2008 Sammy b650 supports mkv, avi, divx etc also DLNA but:
Spending 80 bucks for a Android tv stick, and my tv turned in a super fast wireless hd media centre.
In fact any tv with a HDMI port can become this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY