Xbox One to Support USB Multimedia Including .MKV, DLNA Streaming Coming Soon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
10 bit per channel has benefits if you are encoding/mastering/fiddling, same as things beyond the sampling limits of the human ear have benefits when you are encoding/mastering/fiddling. For end user use though....

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe on a laptop with a quality screen with your face really close to it, but when you shove the disc into a player, sit back and enjoy the ride 3-4 meters away from an average-sized telly then I challenge you to that duel. Difference in framerate? Maybe, maybe. In image quality? Doubt it.

I do can tell a difference while using your average TV (42 inch, 120 Hz), and not from the frame rate. I do can tell a frame rate difference while using laptop (23.976 used in most Blu-ray release does not play nice in 60 Hz display if you pay attention).

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft never planned on making the system incompatible with used games - they wanted to systematize their distribution and although the methods regarding disc-based content were questionable (Gamestop monopoly, meaning the complete opposite of communism), trading digital downloads would've been a first and it would be great - a lot of people are looking forward to that kind of functionality.

Nobody wanted to spy on you - please turn off your cellphone, the evil BTS towers and GPS satellites are connecting you (to provide you with a service, but that doesn't sound nearly as well as spying) and return to the stone age if you actually believe that. I can assure you with 100% certainty that nobody gives two flips about you as an individual - location data is collected to provide you with better services and better advertisements (live shop tiles and whatnot, proposing content that is relevant to you based on your previous purchases, gaming habits etc.) - Google does it all the time, y'know.

Just... stop.

"Originally... the company [Microshaft] said the Kinect would be a mandatory part of the system that needed to be plugged in at all times"

They don't want to spy on you, they simply want to have an internet-connected camera pointed at you 24/7.

..If that's not the definition of spying, what do you consider spying to be?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Originally... the company [Microshaft] said the Kinect would be a mandatory part of the system that needed to be plugged in at all times"

They don't want to spy on you, they simply want to have an internet-connected camera pointed at you 24/7. Totally not spying.
Now, I don't know if you've noticed... but if you're using a laptop, there's a 90% chance that there's a camera staring right at your gob as we speak.

The Kinect was supposed to be mandatory because the OS was supposed to be controlled almost completely by the Kinect rather than the controller (which is still an option for Kinect users). It was initially mandatory for the exact same reason why the Wii U Gamepad was - because it was designed as an integral part of the system. Of course the world is filled with completely paranoid people who honestly believe that Microsoft has a secret basement where aprox. 10.000 nerds stare at Kinect feeds and masturbate to them, which is why Microsoft had to retract innovation to appease the witch hunters.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, I don't know if you've noticed... but if you're using a laptop, there's a 90% chance that there's a camera staring right at your gob as we speak.

The Kinect was supposed to be mandatory because the OS was supposed to be controlled almost completely by the Kinect rather than the controller (which is still an option for Kinect users). It was initially mandatory for the exact same reason why the Wii U Gamepad was - because it was designed as an integral part of the system. Of course the world is filled with completely paranoid people who honestly believe that Microsoft has a secret basement where aprox. 10.000 nerds stare at Kinect feeds and masturbate to them, which is why Microsoft had to retract innovation to appease the witch hunters.

And the NSA isn't monitoring your call records or emails.

Microshaft is data-mining just like Google, Apple, and many other companies are doing. If the FBI comes knocking, you don't think they will provide access to the information/live feeds?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And the NSA isn't monitoring your call records or emails.

Microshaft is data-mining just like Google, Apple, and many other companies are doing. If the FBI comes knocking, you don't think they will provide access to the information/live feeds?
They're not data mining live feeds of video because they have absolutely zero marketing value. They might monitor your purchases so that they can give you offers relevant to you and thus make you spend more, they can monitor location data to provide you with offers from your location so that you spend even more, they might monitor your Internet browsing history to know your interests and make you open your wallet yet again, but they sure as f*ck aren't interested in a 24/7 feed of you sitting with a remote in hand flicking through the channels - this is not something that can generate any profit or business opportunities whatsoever. If you think that you're so important that a global corporation that earns more in a second than you earn in a year actually cares about how you look like, you are out of your mind.

The NSA and the FBI have good reasons for taps - national security. Microsoft is not made of disposable funds - if something cannot generate business opportunities and only generates a loss due to all the traffic they have to handle and all the server costs involved, they sure as sh*t aren't going to throw money at it, and your camera is one such thing. If the FBI or NSA comes knocking, they won't be able to provide access to an infrastructure that only exists in the minds of conspiracy theorists.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DNLA is so slow and troublesome, a simple 4tb NAS full of movies takes forever to index. Whatever happened to old fashioned SMB folder sharing?

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DNLA is so slow and troublesome, a simple 4tb NAS full of movies takes forever to index. Whatever happened to old fashioned SMB folder sharing?
I use SMB to this day to stream *cough cough* my legitimate PS2 backups to the console (because juggling DVD's is 2000-and-late), it's still as capable as ever.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Similar to FAST6191, at the risk of having things thrown at me, it's stuff like this that really drives home the point I once read:

Nintendo is the only still-true gaming console. Their competitors [The XBOne and PS4] are basically trying to make miniature PCs to appeal to customers, while Nintendo is strictly making their consoles for one purpose: gaming.

Although, I can see the point in having this support, I'm quite sure there's other devices that already do this, then again, people are trying to find their "all-in-one" solution. It's less cables to manage, I guess.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
but they sure as f*ck aren't interested in a 24/7 feed of you sitting with a remote in hand flicking through the channels - this is not something that can generate any profit or business opportunities whatsoever.
They wanted to use Kinect for targeted ads. To know gender, age of user and how many people watching.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record I approve of media playback and see nothing wrong with adding it, indeed not adding it would be a negative. Likewise having a console that is a very well known architecture that has had decades of development, very successful development at that, done upon it both inside and outside the game industry is a great thing. If being a "true gaming console/company" means you are modern Nintendo then that is not a good thing at all, likewise if a media playback option is going to help subsidise a console then even if I did not care about media (and I do care, very much so) for no great cost other than software licenses, for which MS and Sony sit on the boards of several of those, then so much the better.
I might laugh at the quality of the implementation but not at the idea of adding it in the first place.

Reactions: Foxi4

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, a set-top MKV player...

MKV has been supported by numerous set top devices for a long time. I have watched them for a long time on my Pi.

Could have fooled me, XBMC on the xbox ran every AVI file with xvid stuffed into it that I threw at it, and some more exotic stuff besides, which basically means everything that was readily available back then. Beyond that it fetched stuff via basically every network protocol that matters for transferring files of reasonable size, had some basic scrapers (though I used the more advanced technique of have good file/directory names), supported a remote control (eventually even network remote control) and had library and resume functionality beyond that. I would have liked some nicer USB support but that was mostly a hardware limitation.
There were a lot of extra niceties that were added to it since it left the xbox as a directly supported platform, and several added throughout its run. That aside it definitely wiped the floor with anything that was not a PC connected to the TV at the time as well, however before I start rocking in the corner as I recall trying to make discs that play in a "MPEG4 capable" DVD player I think I will leave it there.

Maybe he had an early build and never bothered to update. I never had a problem with 99% of AVI contained video but MP4 was extremely iffy unil XBMC4XBOX came along and that was all fixed along with MKV support.

Edit: I can't tell the difference between any video encoding or a static image with my contacts out.

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a confession to make. 9 out of 10 times I don't see the f*cking difference between various 1080p encoding. Hell, I barely see the difference between DVD and BluRay. :ph34r:
Do you play the DVDs in your blu ray player by any chance? If so then that's why, the player upgrades the quality of the dvd

They wanted to use Kinect for targeted ads. To know gender, age of user and how many people watching.
Apparently my mate was watching a movie he bought off Netflix/store I can't remember but when his gf walked into the room the movie stopped and asked to pay again. Don't know if its true 100% but seems weird

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you play the DVDs in your blu ray player by any chance? If so then that's why, the player upgrades the quality of the dvd

If shoddily upscaled video (and if it is real time on consumer price products it is going to be shoddy compared to what is available* even in basic software on a PC) from an upscaling player is enough to tip the balance back towards DVD then that probably counts as a point against BR. Granted PAL res, properly deinterlaced and upscaled (possibly to something in the 720p to 1080p range if the TV is one of technically HD things) is quite hard to tell at average TV watching distance if you are not otherwise versed in it. I doubt Foxi4 is in this situation but if you have the TV as badly calibrated as half of those I see when wandering around in the world (sharpness set to the point where I think I am watching a cartoon, colours/contrast such that they might as well be primary and brightness somewhere that would worry the sun) then it only gets worse.

*they do seem to do it better than most TVs that will also upscale seem to manage so I guess there is that.

Maybe he had an early build and never bothered to update. I never had a problem with 99% of AVI contained video but MP4 was extremely iffy unil XBMC4XBOX came along and that was all fixed along with MKV support.

Edit: I can't tell the difference between any video encoding or a static image with my contacts out.

I did come a bit later as far as using it for a general purpose media player but the t3ch builds usually did well for me. I will agree the MP4/MKV was perhaps not quite as slick as its AVI support but it was probably still ahead of the lesser PC players of the day (so most things that were not media player classic, possibly bsplayer and, urgh, VLC), that said most MP4 and MKV I would have thrown at it were either from the anime world (and the subset thereof that cared about video at that -- the ones that later went on to do CCCP) or that I made myself (and that mainly mean then current MKVtoolnix so basically reference standard).

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I dont like MS at all... on last gent I was on Wii and PS3, and this time I just went with Xbone because here ins Brazil Sony charged the double for a PS4 than MS charged from XBONE. Anyway, there is some misunderstandings here on GBATemp from people who do not use Xbox One.

Some trues about Xbox One, that you did not know, or you dont want to know:

- The Kinect use was never mandatory on any commercialized Xbone, not even on the OS that came on Xbone firts release
- You can buy from anyXbox Live store with any international credit card without changing account, you just need to change your country on video game options. In other words, I have a Brazilian credit card, a Brazilian IP, a Brazilian Xbox Live account, and all I need to do to buy on US store is change the region on my video game settings. By this I understand that Xbox One is almost digital region free at this moment...
- Even that the lack of internet hurts the experience a bit, the Xbox One do works offline
- You can play used games since day 1, without any complications at all, just grab the disc and play it
- On MS speech, nothing caught from kinect leaves the xbox one
- We had an update that allow players to use internet based apps (like youtube and netflix) without being a gold member
- And the most import of all, something that I've never imagined from MS, they a hearing their fans: http://xbox.uservoice.com/

Ok ok, MS is far from an admirable company, but the most reasons that I had for hate it are diapering, and the same goes to EA, people now are just hating it for past reasons that are not there anymore (or at least are weaker now).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Could do with a bit more detail on mkv, rather than just, it plays mkv.

What formats does it support being contained in it? Is it going to support 10bit h264, what sub formats etc.

Just saying .mkv is a bit useless. 360 played .mp4 for example, but was limited to what could be in there (h264 & AAC only).

The MKV container is superior to the MP4 container format.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The MKV container is superior to the MP4 container format.

Yeah and?

Just because mkv supports X format, doesn't mean it will be supported on xbox one.

.mp4 supports plenty of audio formats, but was limited to aac on the xbox 360 . The same could be true of the xbox one, just because mkv supports X codecs, doesn't mean the xbox will support them all, so they need to expand on it and let us know what combinations of video/audio it will support.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and?

Just because mkv supports X format, doesn't mean it will be supported on xbox one.

.mp4 supports plenty of audio formats, but was limited to aac on the xbox 360 . The same could be true of the xbox one, just because mkv supports X codecs, doesn't mean the xbox will support them all, so they need to expand on it and let us know what combinations of video/audio it will support.

To expand further, even codec itself doesn't say a lot. Take my Panasonic 3DTV for example. Manual states that it supports FLAC in MKV. What the manual doesn't say though is that it cannot handle 24-bits FLAC or multi-channel configuration. Only 16-bits in 2.0 setup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning