ROM Hack [WIP] MHX Translation Patch (ENG)

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to all of this, so the lingo is still hard for me to understand. Is a prepatched cia something akin to a rom? I ask because my sd card is only 2gb, and I've also already bought the actual mhx cartridge.

Then you will need a bigger SD card (at least 8GB, since you'll need emunand, which uses ~1GB of the SD card), a PC with SD card reader, 7-zip or WinRAR (preferably 7-zip), Gateway's 3.1 Launcher.dat, the patched MHX .cia file, Internet access, and an o3DS with firmware between 7.0.0 and 9.2 (preferably 9.2). You'll also need to get rxTools' latest version on the SD card.

Step 1 - Setting up emunand: Just follow the guide here.
Step 2 - Installing FBI (to be able to install .cia files):
A.) Launch rxTools.dat by going to launch.rxtools.net in the Internet Browser of your 3DS
B.) Go to Other Options->Install FBI over Health&Safety App (Note: If the H&S app isn't installed on your real nand, you'll need to do a System Format while in your emunand (also, while in emunand, going into System Settings, then exiting will always boot you back to your real nand, requiring you to launch rxTools again. Keep this in mind while using emunand. You can tell when you're in emunad if the bottom-right corner says RX3D <your firmware version>.) The FBI injection app will give an error, which is normal. Write down the region and version number given in the error.
C.) Go to the rxTools' \release\Tools\fbi_injection\<region>\version\ folder, then copy the fbi_inject.app and fbi_inject.tmd files to the root of your SD card.
D.) Go to Other Options->Install FBI over Health&Safety App once more. It should not give any errors this time.
E.) Load emunand through rxTools, then launch the H&S app/FBI.
F.) Make sure the second line on the top screen says 'Destination: SD, Mode: Install', highlight your patched .cia, then press A to install. (Note: it will take quite a while to install, so make sure that you plug in your 3DS while it is installing.)
G.) Exit FBI by pressing Home (you'll get to 'unwrap' your patched MHX here!), highlighting the H&S/FBI app, and pressing X.
H.) Launch your new patched MHX.
I.) Enjoy!

If you want, you can bookmark/favorite this post until you get a bigger SD card. Just look to the bottom left of this post where it says 'MarcusCarter, <post time>', click on the <post time> text (it will reopen this thread, then scroll down to this post automatically), then bookmark/favorite the page as usual.

Hope this helped. Also, as a side note, I got too tired last night while trying to type up this post, so I'm sorry if it was a little delayed.

Reactions: GodSlayer

Mavsynchroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you will need a bigger SD card (at least 8GB, since you'll need emunand, which uses ~1GB of the SD card), a PC with SD card reader, 7-zip or WinRAR (preferably 7-zip), Gateway's 3.1 Launcher.dat, the patched MHX .cia file, Internet access, and an o3DS with firmware between 7.0.0 and 9.2 (preferably 9.2). You'll also need to get rxTools' latest version on the SD card.

Step 1 - Setting up emunand: Just follow the guide here.
Step 2 - Installing FBI (to be able to install .cia files):
A.) Launch rxTools.dat by going to launch.rxtools.net in the Internet Browser of your 3DS
B.) Go to Other Options->Install FBI over Health&Safety App (Note: If the H&S app isn't installed on your real nand, you'll need to do a System Format while in your emunand (also, while in emunand, going into System Settings, then exiting will always boot you back to your real nand, requiring you to launch rxTools again. Keep this in mind while using emunand. You can tell when you're in emunad if the bottom-right corner says RX3D <your firmware version>.) The FBI injection app will give an error, which is normal. Write down the region and version number given in the error.
C.) Go to the rxTools' \release\Tools\fbi_injection\<region>\version\ folder, then copy the fbi_inject.app and fbi_inject.tmd files to the root of your SD card.
D.) Go to Other Options->Install FBI over Health&Safety App once more. It should not give any errors this time.
E.) Load emunand through rxTools, then launch the H&S app/FBI.
F.) Make sure the second line on the top screen says 'Destination: SD, Mode: Install', highlight your patched .cia, then press A to install. (Note: it will take quite a while to install, so make sure that you plug in your 3DS while it is installing.)
G.) Exit FBI by pressing Home (you'll get to 'unwrap' your patched MHX here!), highlighting the H&S/FBI app, and pressing X.
H.) Launch your new patched MHX.
I.) Enjoy!

If you want, you can bookmark/favorite this post until you get a bigger SD card. Just look to the bottom left of this post where it says 'MarcusCarter, <post time>', click on the <post time> text (it will reopen this thread, then scroll down to this post automatically), then bookmark/favorite the page as usual.

Hope this helped. Also, as a side note, I got too tired last night while trying to type up this post, so I'm sorry if it was a little delayed.

Thank you so much! I've gotten a bigger card and I've managed to install Emunand! However I'm stuck at the next step.

"A.) Launch rxTools.dat by going to launch.rxtools.net in the Internet Browser of your 3DS
B.) Go to Other Options->Install FBI over Health&Safety App"

I'm stuck here because the 3ds I'm doing this on is a Japanese 3ds, so I'm having trouble figuring out what the heck this step is talking about. When I go to the website "launch.rxtools.net", I'm supposed to actually boot into my emunand first right? Then I need to find something called other options? I dunno where to look for this other options as it's not in english. Is there a specific Icon you can tell me to look for?

MegaSpawnX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having issues and could use some help. I have N3ds 9.0.0-20u I have installed the patched Cia 3 different versions. Every time I boot mhx I get to the 3rd screen which is the warning eyestrain take breaks screen and it kicks me to home saying "An error has occurred forcing the software to close. The system will now restart." I am able to play mario and luigi paper jam and other Cia. Anyone have anything I could try?

Using pasta cfw and installing with fbi

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-My n3ds is 9.0
-I'm running RXtools emunand 9.5 on n3ds
-I run 3.2 NTR from CIA and I copied the ntr.bin to the root of SD.
-I copied the 2 folders inside the NTR folder from the patch download to the root of SD

-I then boot the NTR CFW cia from RX tools and attempt to run the retail cartridge. (system asks to close ntr app)
-After running the game from retail cartridge, I get stuck on the first black screen with Nintendo 3DS on the top screen and the red wavy animation. Like a boot loop or something.

_eyCaRambA_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-My n3ds is 9.0
-I'm running RXtools emunand 9.5 on n3ds
-I run 3.2 NTR from CIA and I copied the ntr.bin to the root of SD.
-I copied the 2 folders inside the NTR folder from the patch download to the root of SD

-I then boot the NTR CFW cia from RX tools and attempt to run the retail cartridge. (system asks to close ntr app)
-After running the game from retail cartridge, I get stuck on the first black screen with Nintendo 3DS on the top screen and the red wavy animation. Like a boot loop or something.
That's a problem of NTR, it doesn't support launching the retail cartridge unfortunately.

Reactions: ninditsu

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a problem of NTR, it doesn't support launching the retail cartridge unfortunately.
Alright, thanks man. As long as it wasn't user error, then I can wait until an update or something.

[/I]dasding[I] said:
"...recommended, requires NTR CFW 3.1, n3ds and retail cartridge, eshop version or cia..."
So this line on the first post meant that not the physical retail cartridge, but the downloaded, unmodded version from the eshop or from a dumped cia?

EDIT: I answered my own question by trying it out myself. I backed up my save just in case. But I deleted the patched .cia with bigbluemenu and installed my clean .cia

Then I launched the newly installed clean .cia without NTR to check if it is really unpatched and if my save was intact (without restoring my backup save) and surely enough, I can't read anything anymore. Awesome!

So I launched the bootNTR and then tried launching the MHX .cia again. I saw the green flash on the top screen and now everything is like it was when I had a patched .cia

Last edited by ninditsu,

Mavsynchroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phew! Finally got it working last night and loving it! Thanks to everyone who helped me! Special thanks to KennyHi123 who went out of his way and taught me step by step how to set everything up.

Just wanted to double check something. Want to make sure I have the latest version of the patched CIA. I'm not too far into the game, but a lot of the weapons appearing in the blacksmith aren't translated. By that I mean the names of the weapons are still in Japanese. Is this something not yet finished? Or is there a more completed version out there I somehow missed? I thought I downloaded version 6 of the patched CIA.

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i play online with translated rom?
I think the summary to this is you can play online with any method.

But banning is another issue. (I am still not caught up with the terminology so bear with me)
I'm thinking of it this way:
.cia (most unlikely to ban online by using a rom since it uses a the 3DS ID rather than the game's header)
.3dz public header (you most definitely will be banned since it is very obvious that you are using someone else's)
.3dz private header (less likely to get banned and pretty much same situation as .cia if the header comes from your own retail cartridge and you are definitely the only owner of it)

But the issue with this game is that it is out of region (JAP), and playing out of region games is against the terms of service. So when you are caught using this game online with a EUR or USA 3DS, you are within Nintendo's grounds for banning.

Only way I would feel safe to play online is if I use a Japanese 3DS with a .cia

But I guess there is a way to change your emuNAND region but even though it is emuNAND and I have backups, I am wary of doing this myself.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-change-emunand-region.392099/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-change-emunand-region.392099/page-5#post-5598632 (post with download)

Anyone with more knowledge please correct any wrong statement I made or feel free to clarify the exact terms that I missed. Thanks and happy holidays.

Last edited by ninditsu,

Mavsynchroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the summary to this is you can play online with any method.

But banning is another issue. (I am still not caught up with the terminology so bear with me)
I'm thinking of it this way:
.cia (most unlikely to ban online by using a rom since it uses a the 3DS ID rather than the game's header)
.3dz public header (you most definitely will be banned since it is very obvious that you are using someone else's)
.3dz private header (less likely to get banned and pretty much same situation as .cia if the header comes from your own retail cartridge and you are definitely the only owner of it)

But the issue with this game is that it is out of region (JAP), and playing out of region games is against the terms of service. So when you are caught using this game online with a EUR or USA 3DS, you are within Nintendo's grounds for banning.

Only way I would feel safe to play online is if I use a Japanese 3DS with a .cia

But I guess there is a way to change your emuNAND region but even though it is emuNAND and I have backups, I am wary of doing this myself.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-change-emunand-region.392099/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-change-emunand-region.392099/page-5#post-5598632 (post with download)

Anyone with more knowledge please correct any wrong statement I made or feel free to clarify the exact terms that I missed. Thanks and happy holidays.

Ooo I hope you're right, as the japanese 3ds with the CIA is exactly what I have. You don't think it matters that the CIA is prepatched with the english translation though? I actually don't have any plans to actually play online. I just want to be able to download DLC quests and what not.

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, I still I won't advise others to do it because you are going online with modded software and I don't know if that is something that is detectable by Nintendo. There is just too much not known on Nintendo's detection method (as it is just completely unknown).

Think of it this way, even a translation can be thought of as a form of cheating and has grounds for banning. But just for DLC, it is hard to say. Since it is online but it isn't multiplayer. I personally wouldn't worry and would go ahead and download them. But it is still up for discussion for anyone else.

EDIT: If you are able to navigate the japanese menus, you should use your japanese 3DS and launch the game without the translation and download DLC that way. then play offline with the translation since the save will stay the same. I believe that is the only way to not get banned.

Last edited by ninditsu,
Reactions: secto15
D

Deleted-188346

Many armor and weapon names are left untranslated. Would also be nice if the hunter arts and hunting styles were readable.
Totally agree. We'd be able to make proper upgrade tree charts as well. And if MHX was actually localised, naturally the charts would be updated with the proper names.

If the weapons were translated, I feel like this would be a perfect release.

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
Totally agree. We'd be able to make proper upgrade tree charts as well. And if MHX was actually localised, naturally the charts would be updated with the proper names.

If the weapons were translated, I feel like this would be a perfect release.
Then get working on it if you want it that badly... https://goo.gl/If4WeG

D

Deleted-188346

Then get working on it if you want it that badly... https://goo.gl/If4WeG
Would love to help but I don't know any Japanese sadly. I didn't mean to cause any offence.

Edit: In fact, would be using google translate (and then cleaning up the translation) be of help?
Double Edit: What the hell, I'm jumping in. I hope it meets your standards.

Last edited by ,

Mavsynchroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would love to help but I don't know any Japanese sadly. I didn't mean to cause any offence.

Edit: In fact, would be using google translate (and then cleaning up the translation) be of help?
Double Edit: What the hell, I'm jumping in. I hope it meets your standards.

Don't bother trying to satisfy people like that guy. Trolls will be trolls.

D

Deleted-188346

Trolls? You mean the person who created this thread and released the patch for you ungrateful people to complain about?
I guess he can troll if he wants to.
Oh come on, politely suggesting things isn't complaining. While Mavsynchroid was out of line, let's try to keep things civil and positive.

I'm totally willing to help with the translation effort if it means we can get the weapon list completed.

Great Jaggi wouldn't want us to fight...

Reactions: Drak0rex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land