[WIP] MHX Translation Patch (ENG)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by dasding, Nov 20, 2015.

Nov 20, 2015
  1. dasding
    OP

Member dasding GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    [​IMG]

Hello Hunters,

this is the english patch for Monster Hunter X. It aims to help all those who import their game from Japan to enjoy the game with english text. The goal is not to translate every NPC dialog, but have most or all uis, menus, skills, items and weapons translated.

This project is discontinued with the announcement of an official localization.
    Please support the franchise by getting the official localized version.

Read the whole post before doing anything!

MHX to MHGen Save Converter:
    Thread

Fix Online Shoutouts:
    All versions before v9 had translated shoutouts which are not editable and probably crash your game when trying to edit them.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Patch Methods:

Downgrade:
    If you're on 9.3-10.3 you can downgrade your 3ds to 9.2 and use CFWs for the methods described below. The downgrader seems to be as safe as it will ever get.

NTR Plugin Method:
    does no longer work with update 1.2
    if you used NTR plugin before and now want to use the cia update method please remove the layeredfs.plg and the mhx folder from your sd card.

Lazy Method:
    requires either the cartridge, eshop or cia version and a way to install a cia
    Acquire a pre-patched update cia from a friend.
    Install update cia on your 3ds and play the game.
    *if you already had the latest game update you might need to remove it before installing it (with the patch) again
    It doesn't matter what you had installed before, let it be a v4 prepatched 1.0 cia or not. It doesn't matter.

Update CIA Method (Advanced):
    requires either the cartridge, eshop or cia verson and a way to install a cia
    You have to look up the commands for extracting and building

Extract the romfs folder from the decrypted UPDATE cia merge it with the "arc" folder (from NTR Plugin link). After that rebuild update cia.
    Follow this tutorial for that:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-and-rebuild-a-cia.388677/
    Install the update cia on your 3ds and play the game (might need overwriting).
    It doesn't matter what you previously had installed.

Credits:
    Core Team:

MaximusX800, Anon1, Anon2

Special Thanks:
    Anons from /mhg/ for Palico Support Actions and Skills
    Everyone contributing to the community sheets

FAQ:
    How do i downgrade?
    What's a cia?
    What is NTR? How do i get a CFW?

If you have general questions about CFW and Homebrew you should start by reading about those first before thinking about patching.

Will i lose my save when updating/installing the patch?
    Will i lose my save when switching from cartridge to cia?

No, the savegame is in your extdata instead of the cartridge. Regular save backups are recommended though.

How do i backup my save?
    Your save is in extra data. Therefore use Savedatafiler. Do NOT transfer it over FTP on your PC. It will corrupt. Don't ask just don't do it.

Will i get banned for using the patch?
    There are no trusted reports of bans with the CIA or NTR method. If you use a .3ds file you should research how to go online with a private header.

Does the 1.2 update revert the translation?
    Partly, yes. You should install a modified update cia as described above. Then everything is working like before.

Do i have to remove a cia before installing a new one?

No, just install over the old ones.

In case you want to install one you already had installed (e.g. you installed clean 1.2 update and want to install patched 1.2 update) you might need to remove the one previously installed depending on your cia installer. You only need to remove the one you try to install not the whole game.

Will you translate NPC dialogs?
    NO,
    but if you want to do it i won't stop you.
    In other words if you think you're up for the challenge contact me.

I found an error!
    Please fill out this form and we will try to fix it.

Disclaimer:
    The patch is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied.
    In no event shall the authors be liable for any claim, damages or other liability arising from the use of the patch.
    TLDR;
    You should know what you do.

Changelog:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by dasding, Mar 12, 2017

2. raystriker

Member raystriker Alpha PC Builder

India
    This is great!:grog:

3. edgar319

Newcomer edgar319 Newbie

Mexico
    you have the demo in English? some link where download please :rofl::rofl::rofl::bow::bow::bow:

Februarysn0w likes this.
  4. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Amazing and fast :)
    Good luck on your project!

5. henn64

Member henn64 Hey Dood

Canada
    Great, but...
    Why? This seems like unneeded effort considering we're getting the game anyway, and if you wanted to understand it you would probably get the original.
    Just a question though, no offence intended.

6. Nirmonculus

Member Nirmonculus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
  7. InsaneNutter

Member InsaneNutter GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The game is likely a year or more away, it's not due to be released outside Japan until sometime in 2016, possibly even 2017. Fans who can't understand Japanese could get a taster and enjoy playing before then with a bit of translation work done.

Back in the day I remember completing a pretty good translation of Pokemon Gold, it wasn't released here in Europe until about a year and a half after it was in Japan, so it was nice to be able to enjoy the game even if the story didn't totally make sense. I still managed to import a copy from America around a year later and enjoy it 6 months before release here!

8. Zouiguipopo

Newcomer Zouiguipopo Member

France
  9. Nirmonculus

Philippines
    Also, I don't think MHX have been announced for west yet or maybe I don't know.
    that's why the hashtag #mhxforthewest was made.

10. henn64

Member henn64 Hey Dood

Canada
    Well, for anyone who doesn't mind buying it twice it makes sense. I guess that isn't a big deal anyway.

Not official, but taking 4U into account it's guaranteed.

11. Nirmonculus

Philippines
    I really hope so too. But I'll believe it when they announce it.

12. Talexius

Newcomer Talexius Advanced Member

Mexico
    What is unneeded is your comment. This doesn't harm anyone at all, you don't even need to pay for it or import the game if you don't want to. No one is forcing you to do that. dasding is already doing the thing and thousand of people will be glad about an english patch rather than wait a year and a half (most likely) for a localisation. Saying it is unneeded when he is already working (without any payment) is just very rude.

Last edited by Talexius, Nov 21, 2015
    Hayleia and Nirmonculus like this.
  13. wiibomb

Member wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    I could not thank you enough if you could manage to translate some basic things, like menus, items and skills, that would help an incredibly lot for us who will be importing the game and don't know any japanese.

I just wish smea fix the C-Stick on hans so I could apply the patch and play normally

Last edited by wiibomb, Nov 21, 2015
  14. henn64

Member henn64 Hey Dood

Canada
    Jesus, are you always that defensive? My comments aren't any more useful than yours are, don't be so uptight. I'm not harming anyone either.

Last edited by henn64, Nov 21, 2015
  15. SoyAlexPop

Member SoyAlexPop GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    As people already told you the game is probably coming to the west in 2016/17 and probably it will be updated like MH4 was, so for people that want the game early or wanna collect all the versions this is helpful.

16. KeepPlanC

Member KeepPlanC GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thanks man

17. henn64

Member henn64 Hey Dood

Canada
    Mmmhmmm. :glare:
    I'd still rather wait for a complete version, and if/when it gets a G/U version I feel like the original is even more useless.
    I don't see the appeal of having all versions either, but hey.

18. edgar319

Newcomer edgar319 Newbie

Mexico
    I just hope that you manage to do the translation :D

19. Februarysn0w

Member Februarysn0w GBAtemp Maniac

Burundi
    Can I help you for this project?
    Im not good at Japanese to English translation no experience. hope I will help you something. read kanji or whatever you want help.

Of course Im Japanese.

20. MaximusX800

Newcomer MaximusX800 Advanced Member

United States
    Holy Moly!!! I would be very happy to contribute to this project. I do not speak JPN, but have put many many hours into JPN MH4/MH4G and can help out and I have a great basic kanji symbol translation method. Let me know if I can be any help!!!

I have a capture card installed in my 3DS so I can easily share screenshots of text with translations.

Already pre-ordered retail cart of the game and will have it on the Tuesday following the Saturday release.

Last edited by MaximusX800, Nov 21, 2015