Homebrew Windows on the New 3DS

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know that MS-DOS isn't Windows. MS-DOS is what Windows was originally based off of, until Microsoft created the NT kernel.

I know that. Windows was originally just an executable program for DOS, until Microsoft made it a semi-standalone system (still being based on DOS).
sorry i got confused

teaser image coming soon(tm)
^^^
when i remember to run screenshot tool

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

http://imgur.com/a/NSgaM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

gonna make a new thread about running MSDOS on 3DS brb

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Technically speaking the latest Windows DOS-based OS you could run on Dosbox is Millennium, although you have to strip the image down of certain things and even then it's not completely compatible.

Not to mention it'll run like molasses on the N3DS.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wake me up if anyone gets XP working, even in safemode. Or a Linux with functioning GUI / Desktop Environment.
XP doesnt work, go get an android watch and install xp on that (YES someone did that, only cmd prompt tho)

Wake me up if anyone gets XP working, even in safemode. Or a Linux with functioning GUI / Desktop Environment.
if you want linux:

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DOSBOX isn't how you'd get either of those, but Linux has been around for ages, and nothing is stopping a Desktop Environment from running on 3DS (aside from ramdisk limitations I think).

EDIT: Darn it I necro'd a thread.

Last edited by shinyquagsire23,

Sonicbrawler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got it working all good and stuff but when i tried again it just freezes after I click on the .bat. The bottom screen's text freezes at "RetroArch [Info] "" enabled" if that means anything

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Semi-off topic yet somewhat relevant; I wonder how much better the Switch will be able to emulate DOS-based Windows over the 3DS? (Or heck, if it would be capable of NT-OS.) We still don't know much about the system yet at this point so I guess that's a question for another day.

HACKER5253

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there any thing I shoulputin the windows folder for 3.1

if so,please uploaqd a file

WHAT DO I PUT IN THE WINDOWS FOLDER FOR3.1

D

Deleted User

WHAT DO I PUT IN THE WINDOWS FOLDER FOR3.1

Nothing. You simply need to execute the WIN.COM file (I think that's the name) that comes with a Windows 3.1 installation. You could execute it with a BAT or directly; either should work fine.
If you mean you want the Windows 3.1 files, we can't provide those, as that's copyrighted data from Microsoft and as such is illegal.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Prot8toPot8to_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is already a thread about this created by shutterbug2000, but the author didn't really provide a tutorial or more info. I have added an smdh file for the logo, info, etc. and also got Windows 98 to work, so I figured there might be a separate thread for my version with the smdh file prepackaged, as well as batch files to launch Windows 95, 98, and 3.1.
Here is an imgur album of it in the grid launcher: http://imgur.com/a/xO4Qo
Here are YouTube videos of 95, 98, and 3.1:

• To install: Put the contents of this zip into /3ds/retroarch_3ds. (if there is no folder called that, create one)
  • It will show up in the homebrew loader with a classic Windows logo.
  • For Windows 3.1, put a WINDOWS folder into the retroarch_3ds folder
  • For Windows 98, put an image of the system into the retroarch_3ds folder called W98.img
  • For Windows 95, put an image of the system into the retroarch_3ds folder called W95.img
  • Once you load up Windows N3DS, go to Load Content -> Select File -> smdc:/ -> 3ds -> retroarch_3ds -> and choose which OS you want to run. ld31.bat = Windows 3.1, ld98.bat = Windows 98, ld95.bat = Windows 95
  • Once it is loaded, you may have to change settings to allow you to move the arrow keys with the d-pad, to press enter using start, etc. by doing this:
  • Open settings by pressing bottom screen, press b, go to settings, input, input user 1 binds. Change User 1 device type to Joystick (4axis/4buttons + kbd arrows) and then go back to the main screen. Save current config. You can then press the bottom screen again to resume the Windows startup.
  • With this setting, D-PAD = Arrow keys, Start = Enter, Select = Esc
If you decide to use Windows 98, I recommend using a build of 98lite Professional if you can (for startup time).
I hope I helped you guys! Remember, this currently only works on New 3DS models. You will probably get a red screen if you try on the O3DS. It just doesn't work right now.

so does this mean i can pump it full of viruses?

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ARM proccessors just aren't good for x86 emulation.
Even high end smartphones/tablets using highly optimized BOCHS do x86 emulation HORRIBLY.

Linux is quite a bit more feasible as many Distros have full ARM branches. The key would be to start with a micro distro then build up some custom drivers/functions to handle the hardware/controls.

Last edited by AlexanderLS,
D

Deleted User

How did you get 98lite running?! All I can find is a 98lite45.exe! I'm jealous! :wacko:

I believe that 98lite is an executable to be run on Windows itself. I'm not entirely sure how you would get the file onto the image, however.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox