Hacking Will you still buy a 3DS if it can't be hacked?

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
QUOTE said:
No. They scaled down some of the textures in the game to make the models look better, but didn't surpass the N64 graphics.
If you didn't mean "looks better", what did you mean? Raw hardware power? Specify that then. The N64 does indeed beat the DS out in terms of raw power.

But as far as the 3DS goes, the Pica200 can pull off 40 Million tri/s. The N64 can handle 600 000 tri/s, at low quality. I'm not sure that qualifies as "barely reaching", more like "absolutely blowing out of the water why were you even comparing".

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay then, let me ask you this, if the DS is more powerful than the N64 [which it isn't], why have all the games been looking as if they're a whole generation behind the N64?

But even then, that dude who stated that it's as powerful as the Wii is completely wrong.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I think there's been an error in communication. The DS does not use the Pica200. I assumed that would be obvious. I will make appropriate edits.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at less it look like it near or more powerful than the wii, that where it mostly counts.
tongue.gif

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The N64, using Turbo3D microcode could manage 600K tris/sec, but graphical degradation prevented it's use in commercial games. The Fast3D microcode was used instead, which was more accurate, but tri counts were dropped below 100K a second, which is less than the DS's 120K tris/sec.

N64 textures could only be upwards of 4KBytes each to fit into it's texture cache, which would be at max 64x64 8-bit palettized. Effective texture size would be half if mipmapping was used. Special microcode was required to "stitch" textures with this limited cache, which only a few games used by a couple of companies who made the code themselves. With the DS, it had 656KB of dedicated VRAM, 512KB usable for textures (the remaining 144KB was for palettes and other things), and texture sizes ranged upwards to 512x512, palettized or direct color. The N64 did have tri-linear filtering for textures, but they looked bad when textures were stretched or shrunk. The DS, on the other hand, was capable of multiple modes, such as cel shading, outlining, etc, which the N64 could not do.

One of the other "graphical" advantages the N64 had was being able to render a scene upwards of 640x480, even though most games ran at 320x240, which is still greater than the DS's 256x192, but if that is what you are implying as being graphically superior, well then....you have my pity.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
FireGrey said:
ShadowSoldier said:
The only way I'm going to touch a 3DS is if they make the console bigger like the DSi XL, because I can't stand the tiny handhelds. And the price goes below 200. I don't believe ANY handheld should be over 200.
This handheld obviously needs to be though.
Glasses free 3D
Gyro/Motion Sensors
3 Cameras
Micro phone
2 Screens
Touch Screen
Wireless
Near Wii power

Except I don't want 3D. I hate it. I've never been a fan of it. Never will.

I didn't ask for Motion Sensors, hell, I never played motion controlled games on my iPod Touch when I had it because of the lack of a decent control.

3 cameras? So what, it's not like people use the cameras on the DSi's now. They're piss poor quality cameras.

Microphone, again, not very many games utilize it. I don't want to be screaming into my mic to get a game to work.

2 screens, I was happy with one.

Touch Screen, yeah because I really prefer that over the amazing and always superior D-Pad.

Wireless, Nintendo's online service is broken anyways.

Near Wii Power: Or not. If anything, it's barely reach N64 graphic capability.
From all this i learnt one thing.
PSP Fanboy
tongue.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FireGrey said:
ShadowSoldier said:
FireGrey said:
ShadowSoldier said:
The only way I'm going to touch a 3DS is if they make the console bigger like the DSi XL, because I can't stand the tiny handhelds. And the price goes below 200. I don't believe ANY handheld should be over 200.
This handheld obviously needs to be though.
Glasses free 3D
Gyro/Motion Sensors
3 Cameras
Micro phone
2 Screens
Touch Screen
Wireless
Near Wii power

Except I don't want 3D. I hate it. I've never been a fan of it. Never will.

I didn't ask for Motion Sensors, hell, I never played motion controlled games on my iPod Touch when I had it because of the lack of a decent control.

3 cameras? So what, it's not like people use the cameras on the DSi's now. They're piss poor quality cameras.

Microphone, again, not very many games utilize it. I don't want to be screaming into my mic to get a game to work.

2 screens, I was happy with one.

Touch Screen, yeah because I really prefer that over the amazing and always superior D-Pad.

Wireless, Nintendo's online service is broken anyways.

From all this i learnt one thing.
PSP Fanboy
tongue.gif

Quite the opposite actually. I have both consoles, and I prefer the DS games. But hey, just because I don't like the 3DS now, if that makes me a PSP fanboy, lol alrite.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
BlueStar said:
ShadowSoldier said:
But the DS does not reach N64 graphics.

Mario Hoops 3 on 3, for one, looks better than anything that came out on the N64. It's possible you're wearing some rose tinted glasses, boot up a genuine N64 (not an emulator) and you'll likely find the game have aged horrifically.

DS textures often look 'grittier' but then that's because it doesn't blur the shit out of everything until it looks like it's made of melting ice cream like N64 games often did.

No, that's the art style of games.

For example, I think some 8-bit games [not NES], look better than some heavy upgraded graphics games, and thats because of the art style.

All N64 games have the same art style? No, I don't think so.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
DiscostewSM said:
The N64, using Turbo3D microcode could manage 600K tris/sec, but graphical degradation prevented it's use in commercial games. The Fast3D microcode was used instead, which was more accurate, but tri counts were dropped below 100K a second, which is less than the DS's 120K tris/sec.

N64 textures could only be upwards of 4KBytes each to fit into it's texture cache, which would be at max 64x64 8-bit palettized. Effective texture size would be half if mipmapping was used. Special microcode was required to "stitch" textures with this limited cache, which only a few games used by a couple of companies who made the code themselves. With the DS, it had 656KB of dedicated VRAM, 512KB usable for textures (the remaining 144KB was for palettes and other things), and texture sizes ranged upwards to 512x512, palettized or direct color. The N64 did have tri-linear filtering for textures, but they looked bad when textures were stretched or shrunk. The DS, on the other hand, was capable of multiple modes, such as cel shading, outlining, etc, which the N64 could not do.

One of the other "graphical" advantages the N64 had was being able to render a scene upwards of 640x480, even though most games ran at 320x240, which is still greater than the DS's 256x192, but if that is what you are implying as being graphically superior, well then....you have my pity.
Ah, thank you.

1776WillCommenceAgain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, I dunno... It would depend on the game selection. When I bought my PSP I had no intention of hacking it. I didn't even know it was a possibility so I really only bought it because of God of War Chains of Olympus. After I got it I found out about hacking it but I didn't give it serious thought until my UMD drive got busted and wouldn't play my UMDs anymore. So I eventually hacked it to play emulators. After a few months I managed to 'fix' the UMD drive with some rubbing alcohol (actually it's still messed up... UMD reading is MUCH slower than it originally was and cut scenes are always choppy on the UMDs, even on newly purchased ones)... Anyway... I can still back my games up so I just play them as ISOs now. Anyway, with a hacked PSP I also have access to so many other things that I otherwise wouldn't on official firmware. I get a free ebook reader that is awesome. I don't think the Sony firmwares have that yet unless you go through the trouble of doing the HTML thing, but viewing ebooks on the web browser is total crap. I tried it while I was on official firmware and it was total crap compared to Bookr. CWCheat lets me remap the button configs of any PSP game... There's so many options available to me now that it's hacked and so I don't know if I would buy a 3DS if can't be hacked.

I don't download games very often. Srsly I don't. I rather support the devs but what I really like is the homebrew selection. The big companies don't know what we want as far as apps go, homebrew devs do. Does Sony even have a dedicated ebook reader for the PSP yet? Probably not. They'd rather us spend 200+ on the Sony Reader when Bookr is a great homebrew alternative, and best of all it's completely free. PSPComic was around far longer than the recently released Digital Comics app for PSP... A hacked system is simply put better than the original. I don't see how it can't be in every case. The PSP is the only system I've ever modded and now I don't know if I can go to a limited official product again. My PSP UMD drive got busted, homebrew fixed that. Dedicated ebook reading devices are too expensive, psp homebrew fixed that. The control layout for the smackdown vs raw games on psp was crap, homebrew fixed that lol... Homebrew is just better...

If there is absolutely no homebrew on the 3DS, it would take an incredible game line-up to convince me to purchase one along with good apps. My main thing would be an ebook reader/comic book reader and the ability to remap controls on any game I want. Mp3 Player and video player that doesn't require format conversion. That's what annoys me about the PSP's video player. The ebook reader should be able to read any txt file and the comic book reader shouldn't be limited like Sony's Digital Comics. It should read any cbr/cbz file. Make the stylus optional and not necessary like it is on the Phantom Hourglass. I would definitely require a good Dragon Ball Z fighting game. Preferably with the Tenkaichi engine, or a Raging Blast sequel/port. lol... I just need DBZ on every system I own. It's a requirement for me....

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You want an amazing lineup? You got it. Check out the announced games so far. They will blow your mind.
Not just the ones from E3, by the way.

I'm not sure it has a DBZ fighter yet though
tongue.gif

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:

Troll confirmed.
You gotta be blind if you think that the 3DS hardly reaches N64 graphic capability.
The DS is on par with the N64, not saying the 3DS is on par with the wii, but at least GC I should imagine.

MountApple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to because I sold my DSi back in october to be able to pay for the 3DS(which I thought was coming out in november
frown.gif
)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The 3DS has a massive library of amazing looking games even before launch.

Ah, but you'll have to pay for them, won't you, me harties.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yarr, the pirate in me says that it be not worth it if ye can't steel it.

However! I will get it if I can get my hands on a Demo Kiosk at my local supermarket (wal*mart) or Gamestop. Then if there are a number of games that I like, and the competition does not look so great (Sony PSP2) then I 'll buy. I am not going to get a system just because of a re-release of re-hashed N64 games. I'm pointing the finger at you Zelda OOT3D, Starfox 3D and Paper Mario 3D! Tisk tisk.

Here's and idea, I'll get it if there are unique new games that are fun and challenging to play. If it gives me the same feeling and draws my attention and keeps me there like Golden Sun Dark Dawn, I might just get it a at release.

For the record, I liked Golden Sun Dark Dawn so much that I am playing through Golden Sun 1 and 2 then I plain to play Dark Dawn again to get a better idea of the setting and back-story.

As for the ending of Golden Sun Dark Dawn:
CLIFFHANGERS SUCK!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1