Hacking Will you still buy a 3DS if it can't be hacked?

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

daluu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably end up buying the console and only buying the first-party titles and some random Square Enix title.

That is what I do with the current DS.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Possibly (20%). I definitely can't afford all of the games I want to play (I over 100 DS ROMS on my computer... Not a lot but still...) so I'll mostly lean towards the 3DS being hacked. But if I doesn't I'll just have to start saving up.
ohnoes.png

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Everything portable with decent processing power must be hacked. So let it be written, so let it be done! Nintendo's just asking for it too with that region lock. There's no way I'm buying until it gets unlocked.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

N!ck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I will. The DS and DSi were never hacked, and I still bought them.
inb4: flashcarts
To me, that isn't hacking, you're just buying a cart that allows you to play Games and Homebrew.
Really hacking would be like the iPhone and PSP hacking which are software/firmware hacks.

Kamika

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I voted possibly because I'm still a bit indecisive. I've heard a rumor of the EU 3DS games being €50 to €60 and I certainly hope this isn't gonna be true. Fifty euros is where I draw the line for handheld games.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Defiently, i don't really care if i can pirate anything on it or not.. only reason i do it for my current DS is because i don't want to carry around a bag of 20 games when i go somewhere. And sort of a hands on demo to see if the game is worth buying, and then i buy the game if it was good enough.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
N!ck said:
Yes, I will. The DS and DSi were never hacked, and I still bought them.
inb4: flashcarts
To me, that isn't hacking, you're just buying a cart that allows you to play Games and Homebrew.
Really hacking would be like the iPhone and PSP hacking which are software/firmware hacks.
FlashMe would like to have a word with you.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well it could be hacked
it is garrenteed that a mod chip could do so
not sure on how the system would function afterward tho
that and not many would open their pricless console to do surgery on it that could be fatal

D

Deleted-188346

I'm assuming that it won't be hacked for at least 6 to 12 months.
Until it's hacked, I'm buying all the games.
When it's hacked, I'll trade them all in.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But won't that depend on what you mean by 'hacked'? I think there are two scenarios to this.

1) 3DS/DSi games can be played. This scenario seems highly unlikely since even DSi mode has proven highly difficult to hack at this point.

Do not say "Oh but I can play games on my DSi" because that's really a totally different scenario

2) DS games can be played. 3DS/DSi games are not playable.

This scenario seems much more probable and describes the current state of the DSi.

I think people are really overestimating that scenario 1 is actually possible. Considering we're not even there with the DSi, I'm not sure how you make the leap of logic that the 3DS hacks are 'just a few months away after release'.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
doyama said:
But won't that depend on what you mean by 'hacked'? I think there are two scenarios to this.

1) 3DS/DSi games can be played. This scenario seems highly unlikely since even DSi mode has proven highly difficult to hack at this point.

Do not say "Oh but I can play games on my DSi" because that's really a totally different scenario

This scenario seems much more probable and describes the current state of the DSi.

I think people are really overestimating that scenario 1 is actually possible. Considering we're not even there with the DSi, I'm not sure how you make the leap of logic that the 3DS hacks are 'just a few months away after release'.

3) Homebrew can be used.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ramonra said:
doyama said:

3) Homebrew can be used.

I suppose the iEvo falls into that 3rd category. But let's be realistic. No one is going to release a retail cart that ONLY does homebrew. That might be possible if the process was entirely a softmod so there was no cost. People sell carts to make money. And let's face it, 99% of people get a cart to pirate games. There are very few people who get carts to ONLY do homebrew. Not saying they don't exist, but they are in the severe minority. Even the iEvo's partial DSi functionality is supplemented by it's main feature, playing DS games.

So while 3 is 'possible' I don't really think of it as a realistic scenario considering the past history of the NDS platform.

D

Deleted-188346

doyama said:
3DS/DSi games can be played. This scenario seems highly unlikely since even DSi mode has proven highly difficult to hack at this point.
That's really up for debate. A lot of people consider the DSi Mode to simply be unnecessary to hack.
But, even if it is difficult to hack, I think that running 3DS games is different to hacking the internal firmware that is required to run DSi games.

After all, all the hackers need to do is to trick the 3DS into believing that the flashcard is a legitmate 3DS card, just like the DS Flashcards.
That, of course isn't an easy feat, but if the past tells us anything, it's more than possible.

To be honest, I don't care about the DSi Mode/Internal Firmware being hacked. The online shop games are so cheap that I just buy them anyway.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Puppy_Washer said:
To be honest, I don't care about the DSi Mode/Internal Firmware being hacked. The online shop games are so cheap that I just buy them anyway.

Actually DSi mode wouldn't allow DSiWare to be played as per se. It would allow all of the DSi hardware to work = better CPU, more RAM, etc. This allows DSi enhanced/DSi only games (well they are rare but still) to run properly on a DSi. This would probably mean that the 3DS would let the games run in DSi mode or even in 3DS (even better hardware). Probably in DSi mode but still everything is possible. On the other hand TC does have a DSi mode flashcart working with the 1.4.1 firmware but it depends all on how the 3DS works everything about when something is inserted in it.

DSiWare has console based cryption = you can't just transfer the games via SD and expect them to work on another console. That is completely different compared to the DSi mode with save game exploits (atm the moment anyways).

-Qtis

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it can get hacked; sure, I'll do it, as long as online play is not compromised. I figure the 3DS, based on its current lineup, isn't so bad to my wallet.

I'd mainly do it for imports, because of the region locking. I figure it'll require a hardmod, so that will probably be a pain.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I actually probably wouldn't.
Not because of an inability to pirate but because I got bored of my DS after a while... and homebrew was all that kept me going.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    WPiso @ WPiso: m