• Total voters

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whelp, just tried upgrading to Windows 10, only for it to give me a blue screen twice and roll me back to 7. Error message was something like SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.
A quick google tells me the likely issue is out of date graphics drivers, although since I updated them just yesterday, and Windows 10 didn't even let me get far enough to try reinstalling them, I guess I'm stuck for now.

I'll try again tomorrow.
Edit: happened again. After completing the Installing Features and Drivers step, it restarts to this error: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (Wdf01000.sys).

Last edited by Originality,

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I install windows 10 over windows 8, the windows website says you can only upgrade 7 and 8.1. The reason is because I could never get my windows 8 to upgrade to 8.1, the 8.1 upgrade always fails.

Bubbysaur

u cnt hindle mai sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get the upgrade icon to appear on win 8.0?

It will/should have appeared a little over a month ago. Keep checking the lower right hand corner where the time and other things are. You should see the windows icon there eventually.
Once it appears, it's pretty straightforward in signing you up to receive the update.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will/should have appeared a little over a month ago. Keep checking the lower right hand corner where the time and other things are. You should see the windows icon there eventually.
Once it appears, it's pretty straightforward in signing you up to receive the update.
The microsoft website says the win7 and 8.1 can be upgraded, I'm using 8.0, maybe that's why I don't have an upgrade icon?

Additionally, my 8.0 failed to upgrade to 8.1 three times, will the upgrade to win 10 fail as well?

Bubbysaur

u cnt hindle mai sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The microsoft website says the win7 and 8.1 can be upgraded, I'm using 8.0, maybe that's why I don't have an upgrade icon?

Additionally, my 8.0 failed to upgrade to 8.1 three times, will the upgrade to win 10 fail as well?

No, you should be able to upgrade right now. Windows 8 or 8.1, doesn't matter.

Do you have any pending updates besides the 8.1 update that need to be finished? Have you restarted you computer in the last couple of days?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a nightmare for me. I've tried installing it normally, not updating my drivers, but nothing. I get the BSOD Driver Power State Failure message. I figure it's my GPUs in SLI, the GTX 980TIs. I take out the SLI connector, same problem. I update all my drivers, same problem. This is a freshly built PC by the way. I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers, same problem. My current attempt is taking out one GPU. The PC doesn't have CPU graphics, so I can't just take out both GPUs.

RiveaJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

The icon only appeared on computers that Microsoft had deemed to be 100% compatible with Windows 10 upon release.
As long as you have all of the current security updates for Windows 8 installed and it's activated legitimately you should have no problem installing Windows 10 via the media creation tool

Download it and click Upgrade This PC and it should be fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's been a nightmare for me. I've tried installing it normally, not updating my drivers, but nothing. I get the BSOD Driver Power State Failure message. I figure it's my GPUs in SLI, the GTX 980TIs. I take out the SLI connector, same problem. I update all my drivers, same problem. This is a freshly built PC by the way. I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers, same problem. My current attempt is taking out one GPU. The PC doesn't have CPU graphics, so I can't just take out both GPUs.

Have you installed your Chipset drivers?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you should be able to upgrade right now. Windows 8 or 8.1, doesn't matter.

Do you have any pending updates besides the 8.1 update that need to be finished? Have you restarted you computer in the last couple of days?

I have done all updates and checked for more, I have no updates waiting.

from the microsoft website
If your version is Windows 8, you need to do the free update to Windows 8.1 to be eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade. Instructions for upgrading to Windows 8.1 can be found at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
After updating to 8.1, you will also need to install this update: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

Bubbysaur

u cnt hindle mai sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Scratch what I said. You need to have Windows 8.1 before proceeding. I have thought you didn't because my girlfriend's computer updated to 10 and I don't remember upgrading to 8.1. Then I realized I had upgraded it to 8.1 while blitzing all the updates she had in her list prior to Windows 10.

Is your copy of Windows 8 legit? What is the error message you keep getting?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scratch what I said. You need to have Windows 8.1 before proceeding. I have thought you didn't because my girlfriend's computer updated to 10 and I don't remember upgrading to 8.1. Then I realized I had upgraded it to 8.1 while blitzing all the updates she had in her list prior to Windows 10.

My copy of 8 is legit, preinstalled when the laptop was new.

By things I've read on the net I'm going to have a hard time upgrading to 8.1. It's a pain in the ass because it has to download the upgrade and then install, and when the install fails then the recovery process to a previous version has to take place.

RiveaJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

You do not need Windows 8.1. I installed Windows 10 from an installation of Windows 8 with only the security updates installed.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I think you have to do the 8.1 update first because MS isn't updating 8 if memory serves. Then again, you can just get the ISO and install it that way, it saves you the workaround.

Edit: Just remember to start the process from within Windows or it cannot get your key to authenticate you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii