Capture.PNG

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comparison:

It seems there is something way off on the audio, there is a major ripple in the emulated audio,
the wii u does have the benefit that it does not cap the frequency range at around 12Khz.

But what confuses me is that other games don't have that issue with the linear-sounding interpolation (or lack thereof), I also noticed that the game doesn't even use a 32 kHz sampling frequency, but is off by 100 Hz for some reason, which is weird. I know for a fact a real N64 doesn't sound that bad, but they could have at least added a filter.

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It just cuts off part of the screen and seems to resize it like nothing happened.
Like there is a nasty 2 rows of pixels on the right side of mariokart 64 that a crt wouldn't show,
but the default profile says clipright=2.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just cuts off part of the screen and seems to resize it like nothing happened.
Like there is a nasty 2 rows of pixels on the right side of mariokart 64 that a crt wouldn't show,
but the default profile says clipright=2.

But does it explain why the Wii U VC sounds so unfiltered and lacking interpolation? That's not how it should be sounding, so IDK, it's weird.

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But does it explain why the Wii U VC sounds so unfiltered and lacking interpolation? That's not how it should be sounding, so IDK, it's weird.

You have to be aware it's emulating all the hardware, probably on a single processor just jumping between the tasks.
Actually most emulators cheat a bit by running some hardware for 100 cycles then jumping to the next to speed it up.

Hope you didn't record from the gamepad

Last edited by Neouni,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to be aware it's emulating all the hardware, probably on a single processor just jumping between the tasks.
Actually most emulators cheat a bit by running some hardware for 100 cycles then jumping to the next to speed it up.

Hope you didn't record from the gamepad

Nope, I recorded from a video capture, and then from a LLE plugin on an emulator, but again, I did play the actual game on actual hardware, and it doesn't sound nearly that bad; it's not how it should sound. If you look at N64 video captures (like people recording directly from hardware) you can see that the audio actually sounds normal, the Wii U does a pretty bad job emulating it for Rare games, oddly enough, other games sound perfectly fine.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CanvasWidth used in yoshi story, seems to have no effect on other titles.
Was hoping for some widescreen stretching, haven't tested the effect on yoshi itself.

Tried getting Penny Racers to run,
wish I had a debug output stabbing blind.

Reactions: VinsCool

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All these games are build for CRT output, could be that the emulation doesn't properly compensate for it.

Can someone check their Buildnumbers ( content\BuildInfo.txt) and check what is the latest build they can find ?
Code:
SVN: 1680 TIME: 2015/01/20 14:12:06 DK64\SM64
SVN: 1696 TIME: 2015/01/30 10:49:22 Z
SVN: 2043 TIME: 2015/08/18 10:07:52 MK64

Oh and yes, you can replace the code folder freely to update your emulator on a game,
proper ini file is the most important part.

Last edited by Neouni,
Reactions: the_randomizer

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bad RDP emulation really.
no it isnt bad emulation, its amde on porpose, nintendo had to o this due to the new laws of people that can have epileptic attack with bright colors, every company cant just put bright colors everywhere on their games, thats why you will never again see a game like the n64 games with bright colors everywhere, everything needs to have a darker shader until it reaches the values demanded by law.I remenber reading an entire topic about this soemwhere when that law passed in several countrys.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no it isnt bad emulation, its amde on porpose, nintendo had to o this due to the new laws of people that can have epileptic attack with bright colors, every company cant just put bright colors everywhere on their games, thats why you will never again see a game like the n64 games with bright colors everywhere, everything needs to have a darker shader until it reaches the values demanded by law.I remenber reading an entire topic about this soemwhere when that law passed in several countrys.

Bleh, no wonder it looks horrible, too bad we can't alter the games or RPX/ELF files to change that, or at least, removing those black border, they look really bad on TVs, especially Paper Mario, there's too much border >< XD

Now that bad audio in DK64 and Banjo Kazooie (injection), now that's bad emulation (as I made a comparison the other day).

AlanLC

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does anyone know how to make Action Replay codes work in VC ?

Remove Dark Filter:
Super Mario 64: 0404AC50 4E800020
Mario Kart 64: 0404B7F8 4E800020

Last edited by AlanLC,

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not sure I can use
Does anyone know how to make Action Replay codes work in VC ?

Remove Dark Filter:
Super Mario 64: 0404AC50 4E800020
Mario Kart 64: 0404B7F8 4E800020

Not sure I can use the internal cheat function of the emulator.
Many codes are defined and I can verify they are correct AR codes,
but no way to get in the debug menu to turn them on.
Ay chance you know the position inside the ROM itself instead.

That way you can patch it on the fly with
Code:
[RomHack]
; on the fly rom patching
Count = 1
Address0 = 0xf3a84
Type0 = 1
Value0 = a6:3F E3 8E 39
If you notice the code, that's a 16:9 fix for Mario 64, but doesn't really work since it's still force framed in a 4:3 box by the WiiU

Last edited by Neouni,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure I can use

Not sure I can use the internal cheat function of the emulator,
any chance you know the position inside the ROM itself instead.

That way you can patch it on the fly with
Code:
[RomHack]
; on the fly rom patching
Count = 1
Address0 = 0xf3a84
Type0 = 1
Value0 = a6:3F E3 8E 39
If you notice the code, that's a 16:9 fix for Mario 64, but doesn't really work since it's still force framed in a 4:3 box by the WiiU
But does it stretch the resolution at all, removing some of the border?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo