Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Fix94 - I didn't see anything like this posted on the WiiU forums and was wondering if you might know if anyone is working on this or something similar...

As you know the WiiU takes over the entire USB drive with some unknown format when it starts up (if you accept the recommendation to format the drive). Instead of worrying about users accidentally formatting a FAT32 or NTFS volume loaded with old Wii games when they start their WiiU - could we do something like the old WBFS partitioning scheme and decipher how the WiiU stores files on that partition and then write a utility like the old WBFS Manager or the WiiBackupManager to maintain Wii game images on the drive?

I have WiiFlow and other homebrew running on the WiiU in emulation mode but I'm afraid one of my kids is going to accidentally format the drive when they turn the WiiU on.
The problem is that the Wii U format is encrypted and the cIOS is expecting it to be unencrypted on the hard drive. I'm sure you could just overwrite a random part of the Wii U formatted drive with the unencrypted wii disk image but you would have to do it in such a way that the wii U wouldn't find out and since we can't read the encrypted contents of the drive we don't know if we're overwriting something important so the hard drive couldn't actually have any wiiu stuff on it. The wii U would have to think it's empty but formatted.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that the Wii U format is encrypted and the cIOS is expecting it to be unencrypted on the hard drive. I'm sure you could just overwrite a random part of the Wii U formatted drive with the unencrypted wii disk image but you would have to do it in such a way that the wii U wouldn't find out and since we can't read the encrypted contents of the drive we don't know if we're overwriting something important so the hard drive couldn't actually have any wiiu stuff on it. The wii U would have to think it's empty but formatted.
Ah nuts, I didn't know the drive format was encrypted. Darn Nintendo... hopefully they have very unsecure keys :)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you let wiiu format the hard drive and then use easus partition app to shrink it down and add a second partition in fat32 or ntfs? Just an idea.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yo guys, got a quick question:
how EXACTLY would i go about setting a ''combined view'' for my wiiflow sources?
im talking about the "MAIN" sources, would i need to seperated them by commas?
""source= wii, emunand, dml"
or do i have to manually select them each time i start wiiflow by clicking B on the icon?
we all love wiiflow more each revision! THANX!
sorry no you can't make a button to select all the MAIN sources. you will have to click B on each button

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you let wiiu format the hard drive and then use easus partition app to shrink it down and add a second partition in fat32 or ntfs? Just an idea.

I actually checked that after the WiiU formatted the drive but EaseUS couldn't find any partition - it picked it up as a blank drive needing initialization.

So it looks like Nintento is blanking/filling the place where the normal partition tables are kept.

Really nasty since some folks will accidentally init and format the drives by mistake when they plug it into the PC.

Until they decrypt the formatting I don't think we will be able to have a WBFS-like partition or normal FAT32/NTFS ones.

Will have to live with worrying about it being formatted at startup or find a drive with a power switch that works on the Wii and tell the kids to not switch it on until they have launched Wii emulation mode.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
Given that retroarch wii 0.9.8 is out, in order to update the plugins I should only have to replace the old plugins and redirect the inis to new ones, right?

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to make a plugin for mame wii? I'd really like one for wiiflow, but I don't know how to go about modding the .dol to make it work.

wiikey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anybody know if they is a way to hide the display name of roms in wiiflow ie so its just a emuflow of cover art with no game names shown

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know if they is a way to hide the display name of roms in wiiflow ie so its just a emuflow of cover art with no game names shown

You should be able to open your theme.ini with either notepad (on windows) or TextEdit (Mac) and change the coverflow font color to #00000000 and then save it. The titles should no longer show.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'll need an empty.ttf font. if you have any of the themes i posted a while back it might already be in one of the theme folders. or you could google it and download it. you will need to put it in the theme folder for the theme you want to edit and then modify the theme.ini for that theme with a text editor. look for [COVERFLOW] under that you will see font= that's where you put the name of your empty font with it's extension and then save. now the titles won't show up.

edit: this will affect all flows not just emuflow. the only way to hide in emuflow only is to edit emuflow by going into emuflow mode and then settings and select adjust coverflow and you'll have to change the title position and maybe even a few other title settings so that the title is offscreen

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original Retro dols should work fine as plugins without any modifications.
I was planning to update the dols to v0.9.8.1 but found out that latest prboom is giving display issues and dumps.
I'll test the other dols and see which ones can make it to the plugin folder

So are you saying that the mame wii dol should work without modification? Or were you only talking about the retroarch dols?

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't seem to have any of those issues at least not launching games through retroarch itself. I wasn't planning on updating wiiflow plugins until after Fix94 and devs say its all good.

Another strange problem I'm having. I've seen it reported by others but upon starting a fresh install with r871 WF did not recognize my game partition. I chose USB2 as usual, but WF fails to find wii games. I have to go through Source Menu choose an emu or eNAND then choose Wii games for WF To recreate lists and games to appear. I'm not sure if this is related strictly to a source menu issue or not. I have not attempted a clean install w/o source menu in ages.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it a concern to anyone that when multiple sources are selected, that it uses the wii/gc flows instead of emuflows?
So gameboy games are squished and snes/n64 games are flipped/stretched. How much trouble would it be to make each game set use the proper dimensions?

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it a concern to anyone that when multiple sources are selected, that it uses the wii/gc flows instead of emuflows?
So gameboy games are squished and snes/n64 games are flipped/stretched. How much trouble would it be to make each game set use the proper dimensions?
I'm 90% sure that each cover can not have it's own dimensions. Because of the way coverflow is designed as soon as you change a dimension it affects all the covers. Nobody said combined view would be perfect.

Also, you know you could go to 'Adjust Coverflow' and change one or two relgular coverflows to match say snes emuflow or gba emuflow.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya I know I could make yet another coverflow but I'd still have the same problem. It'd be good if the coverflow could autoswitch based on the plugin ini of the game selected. But I understand if its too difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let...