Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

Bigheadz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. I've been using WiiFlow for a long time now and I figured it was time for an update. So I noticed much has changed, such as the release of d2x CIOS and WiiFlow automatically choosing the correct IOS for games. So far everything is great, I have all the v7 d2x CIOS installed, the latest WiiFlow rev, and mostly everything is working correctly. Newer games such as Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Zelda Skyward Sword have no issues. The problem I'm facing is an old one. I've decided to replay Arc Rise Fantasia, but now I'm facing the Jada Freezing issue. I used to load this game using a WiiFlow version that loaded off IOS250 with a base of 57 to get past it, but now there is only one version that loads using IOS249 (which uses base 56). I tried selecting IOS250 from the game config menu, but I only get the options of 202, 222, 223, 224, and 236. It will not let me choose any of the d2x CIOS only Hermes.

Is there anyway past the Jada freeze issue now with WiiFlow?
Should WiiFlow be loading the correct IOS but it's not?
Should I be able to pick beyond IOS 202, 222, 223, 224, and 236 from WiiFlow?

I'm confused and at a loss of what to do here besides dig up an old WiiFlow version.

Oh yeah, and one more issue... At first my Wii would read my Zelda SS disc, but now it's not! This is not a big issue since I already ripped it, but the Wii for some reason can no longer read my Zelda disc.. When I pop in the disc it says "disc cannot be read" from the disc channel, but every single other game loads up fine. Any ideas as to why this would happen? All discs are official (not burned), and my Zelda disc has no physical damage. The only thing I did since it stopped reading it, was installed d2x v7, a wiiflow forwarder channel, and IOS236 because for some reason I never had it on my Wii.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Bigheadz:
Interesting issue with the game. Well seems like your wii dont like the zelda disc anymore...
@MiguelBaptista:
Yep just install with MMM. To remove a channel you can use it too.
@popodom:
Try to delete your wiiflow.ini and the whole wiiflow folder. Create a new wiiflow/themes folder and place this inside it:
default.ini
Hmm, OK, but how do I enable this feature in wiiflow?
Is there an entry that has to be added to wiiflow ini?
Will this be allowed to be specified per/game (troublesome games only, etc.)?
I now compiled the v7 final source with the r17 like emu forced, you can try it out:
cIOS-d2x-v7-mode_r17.zip
Everyone else can test it too ;)

satannuts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried selecting IOS250 from the game config menu, but I only get the options of 202, 222, 223, 224, and 236. It will not let me choose any of the d2x CIOS only Hermes.

Is there anyway past the Jada freeze issue now with WiiFlow?
Should WiiFlow be loading the correct IOS but it's not?
Should I be able to pick beyond IOS 202, 222, 223, 224, and 236 from WiiFlow?

I'm confused and at a loss of what to do here besides dig up an old WiiFlow version.

Oh yeah, and one more issue... At first my Wii would read my Zelda SS disc, but now it's not! This is not a big issue since I already ripped it, but the Wii for some reason can no longer read my Zelda disc.. When I pop in the disc it says "disc cannot be read" from the disc channel, but every single other game loads up fine. Any ideas as to why this would happen? All discs are official (not burned), and my Zelda disc has no physical damage. The only thing I did since it stopped reading it, was installed d2x v7, a wiiflow forwarder channel, and IOS236 because for some reason I never had it on my Wii.

I had the same issue with wiifow not showing cIOS beyond 236 also... it was version r304 of wiiflow which froze on many games...
update to the latest committed build r417 should fix it [see wiiflowiki - for download].

You may want to head over to the ModMii thread and rehack your wii.... to fix the other disc loading issue.
cIOS236: anyone else jump in if I'm wrong - but as far as I remember, a patched 236 has to be installed first in order to restore the truncha bug.
And then the rest can be installed with Muli-Mod Manager with IOS236 loaded.
Either "rehacking the Wii" with ModMii or running ModMii's "HackMii Solutions Guide" will most likely fix that issue.

let me know how you make out.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I now compiled the v7 final source with the r17 like emu forced, you can try it out:
cIOS-d2x-v7-mode_r17.zip
Everyone else can test it too ;)

Thanks, Fix94. You are awesome.
Should this be installed in 249, or do I have to install all the bases?
Is there a probability that this will break wiiware games that work with the normal v7 nand emulation?

One more for you, while you are at it:
What does partial vs. full nand emulation mean on wiiflow?
Do either allow me to store the game saves in the real nand while playing games from the emulated nand?
I'm just trying to figure out if I play a game in the emu nand and the switch over to the real nand, whether I have to backup and restore the save file to the real nand.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a probability that this will break wiiware games that work with the normal v7 nand emulation?

Do either allow me to store the game saves in the real nand while playing games from the emulated nand?
I'm just trying to figure out if I play a game in the emu nand and the switch over to the real nand, whether I have to backup and restore the save file to the real nand.
No problem, I'm interested in the results too. Install all bases to make sure it's enabled everywhere, sure there is a possibility that it breaks something, and that it fixes something, you'll see :P
Partial nand emulation means it will use the settings from your real wii, full means it will use everything from emu nand, so for emu savegames partial is better.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, I'm interested in the results too. Install all bases to make sure it's enabled everywhere, sure there is a possibility that it breaks something, and that it fixes something, you'll see :P
Partial nand emulation means it will use the settings from your real wii, full means it will use everything from emu nand, so for emu savegames partial is better.

I'm glad we are both interested. The difference is that you actually know what you are doing :D.
It seems you hint at some improvements. I can't wait to try it tonight.

As to partial vs. full nand emulation, am I correct in thinking that, whichever one I use, games played on an emulated nand will not store their save files on the real nand? Is there a way of doing this? I would prefer to be able to use the same savefile, whether I use the real or the emulated nand.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As to partial vs. full nand emulation, am I correct in thinking that, whichever one I use, games played on an emulated nand will not store their save files on the real nand? Is there a way of doing this? I would prefer to be able to use the same savefile, whether I use the real or the emulated nand.
If you enable emulated savegame yeah, then it saves always to emu nand of course. Otherwise the emu save option would be useless lol.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you enable emulated savegame yeah, then it saves always to emu nand of course. Otherwise the emu save option would be useless lol.

Sorry, I'm struggling to ask the question correctly. What I want is to always save to the real nand, so I can use the savefile from both, real and emulated nand. When you say "emulated savegame" is this an option in addition to "full_emulation"?
Thanks for your patience.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, I'm struggling to ask the question correctly. What I want is to always save to the real nand, so I can use the savefile from both, real and emulated nand. When you say "emulated savegame" is this an option in addition to "full_emulation"?
Thanks for your patience.
Wiiflow can start channels from emulated nand and can start games using a emulated savegame. Both are different options. You'll find full emulation in the game and in the channel option. BTW I still cant boot newer n64 vc, maybe it works for you... The cios works fine in general.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiiflow can start channels from emulated nand and can start games using a emulated savegame. Both are different options. You'll find full emulation in the game and in the channel option. BTW I still cant boot newer n64 vc, maybe it works for you... The cios works fine in general.

OK. I'll look through the options to see what I missed.
I'll check on the N64 games and let you know.

Thanks again.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BTW I still cant boot newer n64 vc, maybe it works for you... The cios works fine in general.
Did not work for me either, my friend.
It was worth a try.
I'll keep my eyes peeled.
for those games (the ones that ask for a classic controller) cIOS needs to be modified...i know Davebaol did not look into it because he does not have classic controller..

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark

Does partial emulation still need a full emu NAND on the HDD or can it just make the savegame into an empty folder like Uloader can?

JSchloegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this will be an easy question to answer. I'm still setting up my new drive and want to set up for emulated NAND. My HDD before had a single FAT32 partition, I see the in the wiki that Miigotu suggests a smaller FAT32 partition for NAND and a larger NTFS for games. Elsewhere I see two FAT32s. I thought things ran better with fewer bugs on a FAT32 drive than NTFS, am I incorrect?

Second question, and I'm about to search but since I'm asking atm I will tack this on and if I find my answer I'll edit to remove, but if I do full emulation from NAND will I save all DLC to there as well? For example, Rock Band songs, would they go direct to the HDD and be accessed correctly? Thanks for everything, as always.

Schroder08

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he does recommend the two partitions for safety purposes. i personally have just one large 1tb partition and never had any issues. its all personal preference. i had fat32/ntfs and wasn't happy with it because i was nearing the limit on the fat32. so i started over and went all fat32.

i've wondered about dlc too, never tried so sorry can't help there, but in theory it should work. it should save to usb and load from usb.

MiguelBaptista

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
he does recommend the two partitions for safety purposes. i personally have just one large 1tb partition and never had any issues. its all personal preference. i had fat32/ntfs and wasn't happy with it because i was nearing the limit on the fat32. so i started over and went all fat32.

i've wondered about dlc too, never tried so sorry can't help there, but in theory it should work. it should save to usb and load from usb.

Hi

I want know if the game Tintin run with last wiiflow r417? or need too install the d2x-v7-final??
the d2x-v7-final just need install the wad by HBC - MMM? Don't need after install Priloader?

Thanks

temps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've modded my WII as per the wiihacks "softmod any wii" process ... it seems to be slightly different from the wiiflow wiki set of cios installs and I'm running 417 wiiflow. It seems to work fine but would there be any issues with this?

Thanks

cwolfey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the wads and ios;s

What is correct way to update to the new wads with d2xv7?

If I dont have all the original ios or wads II used to uninstall, can I just load all the new ones in using wad manager over the old ones?

I have been doing it this way, just want to make sure over time nothing will happen like this.

Or is there a way to check and see what was loaded, so I can cleanup and do it right way from scratch?

temps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know there is no issue with overwriting wads that you haven't uninstalled. Stating the obvious, you may lose something that you needed if you do though. I've done it myself when the wii update killed everything that I'd installed and I decided to use the batch wad install rather than individual, it worked absolutely fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work