Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont see the big deal about piracy on wiiu, the console probably wont even reach gamecube numbers.
In 2016 nintendo is supposedly coming out with NX , if it really is hitting stores in 2016, there is just a little over a year left.

With wiiu's abysmal performance, I think its useless to even bother with anti-piracy.
I'd even go as far to say nintendo won't really be taking much anti piracy measures either, and they might even be "looking forward" to abandon this ship.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like that people still assume that the NX is even going to be Nintendo's next console, let alone that it will come out in 2016 :rolleyes: We know next to nothing about it other than it is a product that is codenamed "NX", and Nintendo will most likely try to hold out until at least 2017 before releasing their next console, according to their past console cycles of five or six years

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like that people still assume that the NX is even going to be Nintendo's next console, let alone that it will come out in 2016 :rolleyes: We know next to nothing about it other than it is a product that is codenamed "NX", and Nintendo will most likely try to hold out until at least 2017 before releasing their next console, according to their past console cycles of five or six years

So Iwata is a liar? :x

At today's press conference, where it detailed its plans to move into smartphone gaming, Nintendo also took the time to tease its next-generation console.
That piece of hardware is codenamed the "NX" according Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata, who underlined the fact that Nintendo is still in the dedicated console market, despite it branching out into mobile

Reactions: Margen67

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Iwata is a liar? :x

You're mistaking press for quotes. Unless I've missed something, the only thing Iwata has said about the NX is that it will be a "dedicated game platform"

Edit: Here's the quote I was referring to:
As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX,'

Edit 2: Also this picture, with the NX appearing alongside the Wii U and 3DS (Yes, it says "system", but that still could be fancy verbal footwork since it doesn't say what kind of system it is; it could be a console, a handheld, or even software for a PC or phone for all we know):
460342-nintendo-future-nx-system-credit-nintendo.jpg

I'm not saying it won't be a console or handheld or a code name for the so-called "Fusion", I'm just saying that we shouldn't leap to conclusions just yet

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's painfully obvious if you think about it for more than 30 seconds that NX will be a streaming service, like onlive and playstation now. It's possible the name even refers to this: "NX" when used in computing commonly stands for "No eXecution", meaning the games won't be running on the device being used (they're just displayed there).

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to take a wild guess and say the upcoming Nintendo NX is going to be a steaming type of gaming console and a new streamlined OS between all 3 of Nintendo's consoles (including the NX) will allow NX games to played on the Wii U gamepad and New 3DS via WiFi linked stream.

Again only a guess ATM, the New NX will not have a optical drive or use any type of game cartridges for games; my guess is it's strictly going to load games via internal hard drive or USB connected hard drive for Digital downloaded games and for saving installed cache files for games via a new online streaming service by Nintendo.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we're derailed for NX speculation (as OP, I don't care that much, especially considering the nature of the thread); What I'm REALLY hoping for but probably won't get is something like a dulled-down version of the "Fusion" rumor, in which case the "NX" could stand for "Nintendo Cross-Platform". If that were the case, it could be like a $500 bundled Wii U and 3DS that could play the games of both systems with some sort of unified OS. Because of the "brand-new concept" quote, though, I highly doubt that's what we'll be getting :T

It's painfully obvious if you think about it for more than 30 seconds that NX will be a streaming service, like onlive and playstation now. It's possible the name even refers to this: "NX" when used in computing commonly stands for "No eXecution", meaning the games won't be running on the device being used (they're just displayed there).
As likely as this sounds, I am praying this isn't true, because I'm still big into physical copies of games... Although, if they did something like Satellaview, I guess it could be cool

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, the only reason I even dabble in piracy is because I just don't have the funds to buy video games as much as most people do. My Wii U came as a result of saving up my monthly checks until I got $300 for my birthday to spend on the console. If I had the money, I wouldn't even pirate anything. For example, I can pirate on my PC all I want, but my Steam library still has plenty of legitimately bought games, even if my current PC is too underpowered to run most of them. I pirate because it's the only way I can keep up with the amount of games I want to play because by the time I get the funds and permission to buy one game, which is usually once per month at the most frequent, but usually less often, many more games I want to buy have already been released.

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Read up about piracy if you know nothing of it. This is not directed at anyone specific but I have found more than enough articles to show that only 3% (these could be old numbers) pirate but most out of that 3% admit to not buying said item because they couldn't afford it. A family member buys them a ps3/xbox, consumer learns that 12 games at 60$ is murder on their wallet and has a friend modify their system. I hate to admit it but I pirated for a long time too but that's only because I hacked systems for everyone and never asked for a dime.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read up about piracy if you know nothing of it. This is not directed at anyone specific but I have found more than enough articles to show that only 3% (these could be old numbers) pirate but most out of that 3% admit to not buying said item because they couldn't afford it. A family member buys them a ps3/xbox, consumer learns that 12 games at 60$ is murder on their wallet and has a friend modify their system. I hate to admit it but I pirated for a long time too but that's only because I hacked systems for everyone and never asked for a dime.

Well, of course the numbers would show that, they would only know if a person pirates if they admit it, so it would stand to reason that nearly all the people who said they pirate would say they pirate :rolleyes:

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, of course the numbers would show that, they would only know if a person pirates if they admit it, so it would stand to reason that nearly all the people who said they pirate would say they pirate :rolleyes:
I don't know what to say. ISPs, most people torrent which is tracked whatever. The point is piracy is a very small portion which is always blown out of proportions by groups that support TV,music,movies. What was the software nintendont? That supports GameCube on Wii u but only with the disc?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what to say. ISPs, most people torrent which is tracked whatever. The point is piracy is a very small portion which is always blown out of proportions by groups that support TV,music,movies. What was the software nintendont? That supports GameCube on Wii u but only with the disc?

Ah, yes, I suppose I forgot about ISPs collecting data. I had thought that most of the information would have been collected through surveys

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Notch said:
Piracy is not theft. If you steal a car, the original is lost. If you copy a game, there are simply more of them in the world. There is no such thing as a "lost sale". Is a bad review a lost sale? What about a missed ship date?

This guy is living like a king because he made a game that people wanted to pay for. A lot of developers could learn from him.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NX could just as easily stand for New Xperiment (or Nintendo Xperiment) since it's still something they're working on and nowhere near ready for release for a few more years. Hell, it could be an obscure Star Trek reference, since that's the code Starfleet uses on prototype ships (okay probably not that one).

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine if someone makes a cloning device.
They clone a bike.
Kid gets mad that bike is copied.
Claims theft. But still has bike.
/Logic

wiitf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
Imagine if someone makes a cloning device.
They clone a bike.
Kid gets mad that bike is copied.
Claims theft. But still has bike.
/Logic

Just to be a devil's advocate here: usually companies don't use the word "theft", although the comparison to theft has been jockeyed by lawyers for ages now. How piracy is usually defined is as a breach of license. So while Notch's quote is great, it's also kind of attacking a strawman.

"Buying" software is shorthand for "purchasing a license that allows me to use" software under the creating company's terms. When you pirate, you never payed for such a license. It's more like sneaking into a movie theatre than stealing, if you were to use analogies...

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to be a devil's advocate here: usually companies don't use the word "theft", (..) more like sneaking into a movie theatre than stealing, if you were to use analogies...

The MPAA (which actually means Disney, Sony Pictures etc.) has for instance this site:
Code:
http://www.fightfilmtheft.org/index.html
. Then in the UK there's something called FACT (where CT stands for Copyright Theft). So yeah, whenever it's convenient, it's theft.

Other than that, it's fun to see how we can talk 17 pages about something that doesn't exist (yet).[/code]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up