Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine if someone makes a cloning device.
They clone a bike.
Kid gets mad that bike is copied.
Claims theft. But still has bike.
/Logic
this really is nonsensical, you know...grammatically, argumentatively, even philosophically.

the victim, in this case, would be the people who conceived of, designed and subsequently sold the bike to consumers, yet who were denied compensation in this imaginary cloning scenario.

unless, of course, this random kid, who i guess in your example was relieved of his bike, for hypothetical cloning purposes, never got his bike back.

/sense

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
So what's on your pirate list once progress is made?

I'm looking forward to some Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Wooly World and Mario Party 10 :).

I just want MK8 back, I deserve a free copy after giving away 3 to my kids (don't live with me, problem!), brothers kids etc.. trouble is when they ask can I borrow you can't really say no to them at my age, it would be a tad childish of me but the annoying thing is you just know your never going to see that copy again! and you can't really ask for it back in a rant to them, now that would be very childish and immature!

Reactions: bache and oumoumad

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you guys reckon scrubbing will be available? I just looked up a MK8 ISO, and it's like 25GB, where as the eShop version is only 5GB

Reactions: Margen67

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you guys reckon scrubbing will be available? I just looked up a MK8 ISO, and it's like 25GB, where as the eShop version is only 5GB

I would of thought so, bound to happen eventually. I'm sure someone already mentioned somewhere about scrubbed iso's for the wiiu but yes would be very handy especially as they are pumped up to say 23 - 25GB in size. I really don't know why MK8 is only 5GB on eshop.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
definatly should be possible. i suppose it depends on weather someone will bother to do it. but all the titles i have seen on eshop are really small compaired to the disc size.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can compress the ISO with a program like 7zip or WinRAR. That should make it about the same size as the eShop game. I've been working on on all-in-one PC program for managing Wii U stuff, and I'm hoping to add a Wii U Scrubber feature to it soon. I'm curious, what do you plan to do with the ISO? AFAIK, the only way (currently) to play a Wii U game backup is with a WiiKeyU, but those haven't been released yet.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be a devil's advocate here: usually companies don't use the word "theft", although the comparison to theft has been jockeyed by lawyers for ages now. How piracy is usually defined is as a breach of license. So while Notch's quote is great, it's also kind of attacking a strawman.

"Buying" software is shorthand for "purchasing a license that allows me to use" software under the creating company's terms. When you pirate, you never payed for such a license. It's more like sneaking into a movie theatre than stealing, if you were to use analogies...

True, and I think it's hilarious, as well as IMHO, flawed, when opponents of piracy label it as theft. Theft is defined as taking something that that said object is gone, whereas with piracy is the making unauthorized digital copies of, while the original copy remains intact. The thing I don't agree with is the whole, "one merely owns the license to use software* and not actually "own" it. Well, I don't agree with that licensing personally, if I bought it, I own it, and I can make backups of it so I don't have to repurchase it. Illegal? Yes. Do I care? Not really, no.

Just covering my bases by saying with the fact that people will probably get all up in arms for me supporting the piracy of old, out-of-print and non revenue-generating software. (Key words are in that last sentence).

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
You can compress the ISO with a program like 7zip or WinRAR. That should make it about the same size as the eShop game. I've been working on on all-in-one PC program for managing Wii U stuff, and I'm hoping to add a Wii U Scrubber feature to it soon. I'm curious, what do you plan to do with the ISO? AFAIK, the only way (currently) to play a Wii U game backup is with a WiiKeyU, but those haven't been released yet.

Still don't know why the wiikeyu hasn't been released yet? It was supposed to be released last year end of August but nothing has been heard, even bubba who was in the know has gone to ground I thought maybe he could of told us all something, shed a bit of light on it but I would imagine his inbox was flooded with the same questions so he exited quick time!. I know its not an exploit problem and neither a part issue maybe it was just to costly and the project was shut down also the site has gone now forever if you try and google wiikey! Even the wiiu cobra ode project has gone. I think we can all now know its in the past and that's it we can only hope for the guys on here doing the project that we can eventually be able to play back ups!

bache

Trophies
XP
Country

At this point, it's purely preparation. I don't want the exploit and a loader to just drop one day and have nothing to test it with. I'd rather make a start on a collection now.
Can't wait for the scrubbing feature to be added :).

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Bringing this back from the dead; is there anyway for the average user to dump Wii U games yet? I have a friend moving interstate this weekend who has lots of games, and I'd like to back his up rather than download them.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prediction: Wii U Backup Loader being released less than a week after we release our exploits, and as people scramble to find ways to dump files/code to use it, it'll be on Nintendo's radar to patch ASAP meaning it'll probably only last one update.

whats all this stuff their saying about no kernel access?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats all this stuff their saying about no kernel access?

Not sure where anyone's saying that, kernel exploit and Webkit exploit will come out at the same time, guaranteed. Kernel exploit gives us access to 95% of the memory (only stuff we can't access from my limited testing is 0x4bb6a000-0x50000000 which is protected by IOSU as far as I can tell), so we have a lot of freedom.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure where anyone's saying that, kernel exploit and Webkit exploit will come out at the same time, guaranteed. Kernel exploit gives us access to 95% of the memory (only stuff we can't access from my limited testing is 0x4bb6a000-0x50000000 which is protected by IOSU as far as I can tell), so we have a lot of freedom.

i read it somewhere, i just realized this is the piracy thread too. i know you have been doing ninttndoland stuff and other things like gampad sketch. and that one guy made a pong game, are there other things in the works too when you guys launch this stuff? like ability to use netflix without the pad? just an example...

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i read it somewhere, i just realized this is the piracy thread too. i know you have been doing ninttndoland stuff and other things like gampad sketch. and that one guy made a pong game, are there other things in the works too when you guys launch this stuff? like ability to use netflix without the pad? just an example...

Not at the moment, not enough access to do any work for it, once we get/steal a Webkit exploit for the latest version I'll look into it. I'm considering some secret stuff :P not sure if it'll ever be publicized though.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at the moment, not enough access to do any work for it, once we get/steal a Webkit exploit for the latest version I'll look into it. I'm considering some secret stuff :P not sure if it'll ever be publicized though.

whats the fun in that? you mean publicized until you release or just not at all? if you do my awesome netflix idea and dont release it, thats pretty dirty brah. you know what would be cool is make a photorama thing of a room like galaxy phones and google camera does. make a way for that stupid format tp be read by wiiu then have those stupid heads from the 3ds gams bob around and shoot em.

or an ant acid that you only have to take once a week!

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the fun in that? you mean publicized until you release or just not at all? if you do my awesome netflix idea and dont release it, thats pretty dirty brah. you know what would be cool is make a photorama thing of a room like galaxy phones and google camera does. make a way for that stupid format tp be read by wiiu then have those stupid heads from the 3ds gams bob around and shoot em.

or an ant acid that you only have to take once a week!

Nah, anything that other people want I'll try my best to release. It's just another something I want to do just to do for me, probably won't even show it to anyone else. We'd need to do a lot of GX2 documentation to get anywhere, which is what releasing the Webkit exploit is for. But we're kind of getting off topic (other than what I've implied in my previous tweets POSTS :P ;))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end