ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Hi all,
I recently got a Japanese wii U console. I modded it using Tiramisu, and it worked well. After that, I tried to change the console's language from Japanese to English, by replacing some files using FTP.
It didn't work (the language remained Japanese), and when I restart my console it got stuck on the initial "Wii U" screen, and now my console won't load.
I backed up my Nand before modding my console.
I read many threads here regarding similar bricks and Nand restoration, but in each of them a different solution was discussed so I'm not sure what would apply to my case.
Is there any solution that does not require hard modding that could solve my issue?

MontyMole98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a way of using UDPIH? (The two options are a Raspberry Pi Pico or a moddable Nintendo Switch). You should be able to get into wupserver there, and transfer Japanese files back to the console from your computer to get it to boot. The reason the text was still Japanese before you rebooted I think is because you HAVE to restart to get the system to reload the language files.

The most likely problem is that the transfer didn't complete properly and left a half-transferred system menu text file.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes should be fixable with UDPIH. Do you want to just change the language or do a proper region change?
If you want to do the region change, use UDPIH to install ISFShax, from ISFShax you can then erase the MLC and reinstall the system with the US or EU files.

MontyMole98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes should be fixable with UDPIH. Do you want to just change the language or do a proper region change?
If you want to do the region change, use UDPIH to install ISFShax, from ISFShax you can then erase the MLC and reinstall the system with the US or EU files.
I just need to point it out, in case it wasn't obvious from this message alone, you'll lose everything on the Wii U, mainly games and save data. Since you got the console relatively recently, I'd assume you don't care. Just again, as a warning.

Ghostwalk

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but could you please elaborate about this a bit more?

As the OP, I am trying to change the region of my Japanese Wiiu and I though ISFShax only allowed to change the region on a clean rednand. Lazr1026's guide was the only method working on the sysnand I was aware of.

ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Thank you both!
I have just ordered a Raspberry Pi Pico. Should I follow this guide, or since I have backed up my NAND I should do something else? https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-unbrick-guide-without-soldering.613371
I just wanted to change the language. It seemed more simple than changing the region, but I guess it didn't work that way.
Should I install ISFShax after I will restore the Japanese Wii U menu with UDPIH?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I though ISFShax only allowed to change the region on a clean rednand.
You can also do it on a "clean" sys nand by erasing the MLC and SCFM in minute. It would also work without erasing, but then you still have the other regions titles installed.

Should I install ISFShax after I will restore the Japanese Wii U menu with UDPIH?
You can launch the ISFShax install from UDPIH, not need to fix the broken system first.

After ISFShax is installed, adjust the sysprod.xml, you can do that with the wupserver. Once that is done use minute to erase the mlc and scfm and follow the MLC rebuilding instructions with the files of the target region.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you don't care for the data on the console, I would suggest you do the following:
rebuild (including erasing) the MLC with region you want your console to have. For that just follow the guide linked in my signature: Upgrade Wii U Internal Storage / replace failing eMMC

Once it is installed, boot the recovery with the Pico again and fix the region there, it should have an option to align the reion in the sysprod.xml with the installed menu

ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Thanks again.
I actually tried to use MLCRestorerDownloader but it keeps telling me "Common key not found. Enter it here", and I'm not sure what to enter... Also, just making sure- I need to download the USA MLC in order to change region, right?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want to change it to USA region then yes. You have to copy the otp.bin from the SD card to the MLCRestorerDownloader directory, it will then get the common key automatically from that.

ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Thanks, it did work and I just noticed you mentioned it in the guide itself.
I read the guide and I'm not sure which media you want to use as MLC. I rather refrain from soldering.
I don't care about changing the region anymore, I just want to get my console to work, would it be easier to try and replace corrupted files using wupserver? (As suggested here for example- https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-mlc-language-files-change-brick-save.620948)

ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'm not sure I understand- are you saying that since my eMMC is still working I can Erase MLC and then install fresh MLC on it? So I only need 1 SD card that will go in the front slot, and not an additional one for the MLC replacement? (Sorry for the basic questions and thank you for your help, I don't have a lot of knowledge)

ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Last edited by ttttttrrrr,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just rebuild the mic and after that you can use the debug region option in the recovery to fix the region in the sysprod.xml so you don't need to manually edit it

ttttttrrrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I followed the guide, and after selecting "Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc)" in minute, I received the following message on screen. The light remained purple and wasn't blinking at all.
It seems that it doesn't find the OTP, what did I miss?
No wafel_setup_mlc.log was written to the SD card.

IMG_3806.jpg

Last edited by ttttttrrrr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto