Wii U Official Info (Japan for now) Launch Date, Two SKUs and Prices.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...8GB storage on Standard and 32GB storage on Premium? Really?

I can understand their silly belief that "high-density proprietary discs" are a good idea (hint: they're not. When you're making a video game console in the 21st century, you better make sure that it plays DVD's and BluRays because guess what? People like watching movies) but this really tears it - the games are supposed to be 25GB in size for the love of god.

This means that the Premium WiiU owners will be able to download *1* full game and the Basic WiiU owners will download f*ck all other than WiiUWare.

Nintendo, I understand that you've put an SD drive on this thing, but SD cards aren't *that* big.

Such a dumb assumption on Nintendo's part. I got my first Blu-Ray player in the form of a PS3 earlier this year. Nintendo is overestimating the Blu-Ray adoption rate. Hell, they're killing themselves off from half of what makes the Xbox such a great console. Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Though I guess with the GamePad they'll be able to have some killer NetFlix support.
Except NetFlix is closing their doors as far as full-lenght films are concerned. They're switching to series only, so bye bye theatrical releases.

You are aware it has HDD compadiblity right?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In other words, they're asking you to attach a tumour on it to support something that should've been there out of the box.

Last time I've seen a console with internal storage lower than 60GB was 6 years ago. That kind of low storage is pathetic and you know it.

Another box of clutter next to my console, that's what I really need.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, they're killing themselves off from half of what makes the Xbox such a great console. Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Though I guess with the GamePad they'll be able to have some killer NetFlix support.
Couple of things.

1. Have you not seen the Nintendo TVii presentation? They are in the 21st century, they've bypassed Blu-ray & DVD and to be honest, I don't need that stuff. I have a bluray already. Instead they're going full on with proper digital online entertainment with Netflix, Hulu, Tivo & Amazon. What Nintendo TVii is offering is pretty much cutting edge, they've actually put a lot of thought into this service and it's free.
2. You can also use a HDD of your own choosing which would be better and more cost effective than say offering a 250GB Wii U console and if something happens to the Wii U.

I prefer this method, I know you'll bitch and moan about this...it's your thing, your mind is made up so good luck with that but honestly for me I'm more than happy with what they've chosen to do. Also if my HDD somehow borks...hey it's not much of a problem, I don't need to open my Wii U up and replace it.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
TehSkull said:
Hell, they're killing themselves off from half of what makes the Xbox such a great console. Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Though I guess with the GamePad they'll be able to have some killer NetFlix support.
Couple of things.

1. Have you not seen the Nintendo TVii presentation? They are in the 21st century, they've bypassed Blu-ray & DVD and to be honest, I don't need that stuff. I have a bluray already. Instead they're going full on with proper digital online entertainment with Netflix, Hulu, Tivo & Amazon. What Nintendo TVii is offering is pretty much cutting edge, they've actually put a lot of thought into this service and it's free.
2. You can also use a HDD of your own choosing which would be better and more cost effective than say offering a 250GB Wii U console and if something happens to the Wii U.
That's not my quote - it's TehSkull's. That said, Nintendo TVii is a nice concept, but the console still should be capable of reading both BluRay and DVD's because the drive installed is perfectly capable of doing so. Nintendo's excuse of production fees is bullshit - what they're avoiding are "royalties", and they've done it with the Gamecube and the Wii respectively.

Digital Distribution is all nice and dandy, but it magically stops being so when you realize that you'll now have 2 boxes next to your TV - a WiiU and a BluRay/DVD Player.

Hard drives are *not* expensive, when was the last time you've been at a hardware store? Nintendo simply wants the console to be "incredibly cheap" compared to the competition - the upcoming PS4 and XBox 720 by cutting out essential features. You *will* have to buy an HDD, but it won't be in your mindset when looking at the pricetag. They did it with the Wii and it worked, so hey. So yeah, that's box number 3.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other words, they're asking you to attach a tumour on it to support something that should've been there out of the box.

Last time I've seen a console with internal storage lower than 60GB was 6 years ago. That kind of low storage is pathetic and you know it.

Another box of clutter next to my console, that's what I really need.

You are aware you can get a TB drive for about the same space as two iPhones (next to each other) right? And for cheaper.

Sorry, I meant a 100GB drive that has the space of an iPhone and a half. But I'm pretty sure there's a drive similar to one I described too.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You are aware you can get a TB drive for about the same space as two iPhones (next to each other) right? And for cheaper.
...So what stops Nintendo from putting one in their console? Other than the inheritent need to be as inconvenient for the user as humanly possible?

The XBox 360 supports DVD. PS3 supports both DVD and BluRay. The WiiU supports neither.
The 360 has a high-capacity internal Hard Drive, twin USB slots for external memory and a docking bay for a top-loading Hard Drive, plus legacy Memory Card slots. The PS3 has a high-capacity internal Hard Drive and USB slots for external memory. The WiiU has a pathetic excuse for a Hard Drive and external HDD support. Yay.

Why is it that people don't see this as an essential feature? Have you forgotten the BluRay lessons taught to you by the PS3? Games will often require *Install Data*. Games will need space. Space that neither bundle can offer you.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple of things.

I prefer this method, I know you'll bitch and moan about this...it's your thing, your mind is made up so good luck with that but honestly for me I'm more than happy with what they've chosen to do. Also if my HDD somehow borks...hey it's not much of a problem, I don't need to open my Wii U up and replace it.
I completely agree. You also have the browser.

Digital Distribution is all nice and dandy, but it magically stops being so when you realize that you'll now have 2 boxes next to your TV - a WiiU and a BluRay/DVD Player.
Expect people who don't have those or don't care. I don't want to run down the wii u drive faster than it needs to anyway.
What are are planning to do with BluRay/DVD Player, just toss them away?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow. An Internet Browser. Woopie! Welcome to years ago KingVamp.

Don't get me wrong - I like the WiiU from the specs-wise perspective. It's the storage capacity that I find ridiculous.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your aware you can get a TB drive for about the same space as two iPhones (next to each other) right? And for cheaper.
...So what stops Nintendo from putting one in their console? Other than the inheritent need to be as inconvenient for the user as humanly possible?

The XBox 360 supports DVD. PS3 supports both DVD and BluRay. The WiiU supports neither.
The 360 has a high-capacity internal Hard Drive, twin USB slots for external memory and a docking bay for a top-loading Hard Drive, plus legacy Memory Card slots. The PS3 has a high-capacity internal Hard Drive and USB slots for external memory. The WiiU has a pathetic excuse for a Hard Drive and external HDD support. Yay.

Why is it that people don't see this as an essential feature? Have you forgotten the BluRay lessons taught to you by the PS3? Games will often require *Install Data*. Games will need space. Space that neither bundle can offer you.

I was going to point out the fact that not everyone gives a shit about media on their console and that the PS3 and 360 were both made 6 years ago and they have probably fixed the data problems by now, plus all the reason Hadrian listed, then I realised your Foxi4 and one of the things your best at is complaining for no reason and you (like pretty much everyone on GBAtemp) are extremely stubborn. So enjoy your meaningless problems.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. An Internet Browser. Woopie! Welcome to years ago KingVamp.
:rolleyes:
I'm saying there is a lot of ways to get you movies/shows fix without running down your wii u drive.
With like the rest the devices you can watch them on.
Funny. Carry on supporting something that's silly. I didn't expect Nintenfans to acknowledge constructive criticism.
Throwing the "because Nintenfans" card? I thought you were better than that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What are are planning to do with BluRay/DVD Player,just toss them away?
Nope. I won't toss either away because I don't have players. My PS2 (released 12 years ago, mind you) plays DVD's just fine and my soon-to-be-purchased PS3 will take care of both.
I was going to point out the fact that not everyone gives a shit about media on thier console and that the PS3 and 360 were both made 6 years ago and they have probably fixed the data problems by now, plus all the reason Hadrian listed, then I realised your Foxi4 and one of the things your best at is complaining for no reason and you (like pretty much everyone on GBAtemp) are extremely stubborn. So enjoy your meaningless problems.
Funny. Carry on supporting something that's silly. I didn't expect Nintenfans to acknowledge constructive criticism.

Just to put things in perspective, the PSP Go, a handheld, had 16GB internal storage and an external storage slot.

I have the right to use this argument, being a former Nintendo fanboy and all. :P
There's absolutely no reason to "excuse" Nintendo on something that should be supported in the stock console, sorry.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the right to use this argument, being a former Nintendo fanboy and all. :P
There's absolutely no reason to "excuse" Nintendo on something that should be supported in the stock console, sorry.

Plus, taking offense at Nintenfans? Please, that's nothing. He could've easily have gone with Nintendorks, or Nintendrones, or... you get the idea.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
One reason (and probably the main reason) why MS and Sony included internal HDDs in their system is because many disc-based games either made use of them for faster loading, or require "installation" as they would not run without them. That isn't including downloaded games/DLC. I highly doubt the WiiU's 8/32GB of internal memory is meant for the same thing as those other consoles. If they don't need to use it as "temporary storage", then I don't expect a long wait during loading, and therefore, should'e be a problem or a need in the first place. We do have the option for an eternal HDD, and USB 2.0 is at least as fast as Bluray in terms of data transfer.

Now, we know the possibility of Bluray/DVD support is there, but Nintendo removed that functionality for royalty reasons. That isn't to say that it won't ever be able to. Nintendo originally planned a "dongle" for the Wii to allow it to play DVD movies, but that didn't come to light. Maybe it can have Bluray/DVD video support via eShop purchase. That way, for people that don't care to have it won't have to pay for something they won't use, and those that do want it can have it for a price.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
So converting those prices to uk pounds this is how much it's gonna cost.

£250 for the premium console
£209 for the basic console
£107 for the wii u gamepad (this is going to get very expensive if you end up breaking it from gamer rage! LOL can't think of how much more money will be spent if you want to play multiplayer offline with family and friends x2 £107, ouch!)
£40 for the Wii U Pro Controller (the wii classic controller pro costs less than this and it does the same thing! it currently costs £15,99! no way nintendo! good thing everything is backwards compatible I can save myself some money)

£14 for the charging cradle (so what about basic users if they want to charge their controller as the charging cradle is not included in the basic package, they would have to fork out more money just to charge them up, nintendo are doing a microsoft they know they will make money)

That is quite a lot and the games don't even come into that price! on top of that VAT will be added and we don't even know if we will get those prices because nintendo will directly convert the prices from the US prices so we will probably end up paying even more! goddamit! no way am I buying one at launch, definitely waiting for a price drop or bundle deals.

That is low storage capacity.

Agreed, 8gb is nothing if nintendo are going to release retail games on the eshop then how are people going to download them? yes I know they have the external hard drives but can you use any external hard drive you want or do you have to buy their own brand? that could add even more to the total, this is starting to get a bit scary for my pocket, my purse is running away from fright now LOL

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One reason (and probably the main reason) why MS and Sony included internal HDDs in their system is because many disc-based games either made use of them for faster loading, or require "installation" as they would not run without them. That isn't including downloaded games/DLC. I highly doubt the WiiU's 8/32GB of internal memory is meant for the same thing as those other consoles. If they don't need to use it as "temporary storage", then I don't expect a long wait during loading, and therefore, should'e be a problem or a need in the first place. We do have the option for an eternal HDD, and USB 2.0 is at least as fast as Bluray in terms of data transfer.

Now, we know the possibility of Bluray/DVD support is there, but Nintendo removed that functionality for royalty reasons. That isn't to say that it won't ever be able to. Nintendo originally planned a "dongle" for the Wii to allow it to play DVD movies, but that didn't come to light. Maybe it can have Bluray/DVD video support via eShop purchase. That way, for people that don't care to have it won't have to pay for something they won't use, and those that do want it can have it for a price.
That's the problem I'm getting at. Nintendo's famous "Proprietary" discs are simply castrated BluRay's, just like Wii Discs were DVD's. The WiiU will suffer the same fate BluRay games on the PS3 suffered - it will require a certain degree of Install Data, Install Data you won't have enough storage for. You'll be forced to buy an external drive whether you like it or not, and I'm willing to bet that they're already cooking up "Nintendo Drives" as we speak, similarily to their DS and Wii USB Ni-Fi adapters in the past.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I have to agree with Foxi. The storage capacities are ridiculous. It should have been like 120GB for standard and 320GB for premium edition.

Even that is too small, but it would be better than what nintendo are offering, WTH nintendo? We are paying a lot for these consoles as it is :( yes we know we can get a external hard drive and stick in anything we want but I want everything in one place so I don't have to do that.

Another thought, the ps3 does not let you download psn and retail games to external hard drives nor does the xbox 360, that raises a question would nintendo let you download retail games to a external hard drive, if not what would they be used for? people wouldn't get very far with a 8gb internal memory would they? If nintendo had put a decent hard drive size in the console in the first place there would be no need for the external hard drive in the first place.

Maybe the reason they didn't put so much internal space in these consoles because SSD hard drives are expensive as it is, still even a 2.5" or a 3.5" would be good enough and cheap too for nintendo to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious