Wii U Official Info (Japan for now) Launch Date, Two SKUs and Prices.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems nice, maybe now everyone will shut up about specs/price.

I'll probably get the "premium" one around launch despite there being no games i want.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as the Wii was capable of DVD playback when hacking in the remaining files (as the discs were DVDs) the WiiU will most certainly be capable of BR playback when hacked.
Yeah definitely. God this thing would be golden if it's hacked, I mean hackers could get the 1GB for gaming and 1GB for the OS combine them for "hot tits" emulation.
And then... You switch over the screen in "controller mode" and you have uber-powerful emulation of EVERY SYSTEM OUT THERE in your hand.

Super-awesome emulation in bed, HERE I COME.

THIS THING IS GONNA BE SO AWESOME.
It'll totally do 360 :yayps3:
But still not original Xbox :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3: :nayps3:

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got a rough price estimate? That's kinda what I care about TBH,

AKA what I want to bitch about.

EDIT: Quick Google says...

Basic: roughly $338. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and round down to $300

Premium: roughly $400. I guess round down to $350?

Gamepads: I feel like the calculations are off but $150

Pro Controller: roughly $64.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Wii U actually is the launch name
-Still no DVD/BluRay playback
-No announcement of any sort of Gamecube support
-Still no killer launch games

I'll probably be waiting for a price drop or Fire Emblem U. Right now the only interesting things it's got are the gamepad, ZombiU, and another reason to play Mass Effect 3. On the bright side, I figure the US launch price will be $250/$300 if we get the same models; could be a lot worse. Not as sure on the controllers but I figure $50 for the Pro and maybe $125 for a gamepad.

EDIT: Let me amend my earlier statement: if ME3 is a launch title, has multiplayer, and I can fully play it on the gamepad, then it's a day 1 buy, no questions asked.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.

http://www.engadget....ray-iwata-says/

Though yeah I'm still unsure why they mentioned Blu-Ray in the speeds...why not just mention the speed only? I guess what he meant was just BR/DVD video discs.
Just as the Wii was capable of DVD playback when hacking in the remaining files (as the discs were DVDs) the WiiU will most certainly be capable of BR playback when hacked.

It's just Nintendo being a cheapskates on licenses.

They need to market their drives as something different from DVD/BR for the essential reason that if you market them as DVD or BR then you also need to pay the licenses.
False info, Wii optical discs are no dvd's.
The wii system was on some moment capable of dvd playback, but the disc were never rebranded dvd's.
They are also nintendo's propritary wii optical disc, and are differ in capacity also.
wii disc, 4.37 Gb - DVD 4.7Gb. single layer.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were certainly not changing the name now.

As for the bundles, I like the discount and the charging stand in premium... But if you can easily expand the storage and run things off it directly (unlike the Wii), I don't know if the extra space is worth it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.

Though yeah I'm still unsure why they mentioned Blu-Ray in the speeds...why not just mention the speed only? I guess what he meant was just BR/DVD video discs.

They need to market their drives as something different from DVD/BR for the essential reason that if you market them as DVD or BR then you also need to pay the licenses.
The wii system was on some moment capable of dvd playback, but the disc were never rebranded dvd's.
They are also nintendo's propritary wii optical disc, and are differ in capacity also.

Do some research. psychically the disc are DVDs but they are programmed in a different way to avoid royalty fees. The same for the DVDs on the PS2 actually that feature sony's compression tech. Kingdom Hearts 1&2 are such games. Unlike Nintendo, Sony never openly denied they were using DVDs however.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Definitely looks like a pricier system.
Nintendo are definitely playing to the veteran/core gamer crowd with this system, with less emphasis on a total family-fun system.

Which is great, this isn't going to be a throwaway system, I am willing to pay a bit more for a new system, and I'll probably be getting the premium for those digital download perks.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the features of the Premium version... will consumers stand for the higher price?

Alright, now that's out of the way. If Guild's estimations are correct, that's not a bad price for the console. It's not $250, but if you're interested in getting this on launch day, it isn't prohibitively expensive either. The apparent lack of DVD or BR playback is a bit disappointing, though - it's not so much to ask for. I was hoping Nintendo would break tradition here.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.co...-keywords=wii+u do you see the prices listed for some of these wii u games .... they better include a reach around
They not official, just Amazon putting speculative prices out there. I think the 3rd party games about right though.

NSMBU is 5,895 yen in Japan (about $75 but obviously will be less) so their games will be pretty much the same price as 360/PS3 titles. Nintendoland is 4,985 Yen ($62) which suggests that they're aiming that as a budget title.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Do some research. psychically the disc are DVDs but they are programmed in a different way to avoid royalty fees. The same for the DVDs on the PS2 actually that feature sony's compression tech. Kingdom Hearts 1&2 are such games. Unlike Nintendo, Sony never openly denied they were using DVDs however.
Yeah, as chartube said, I meant physically.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smart move going to Blueray very nice though they seriously need to reconsider the price of that tablet controller, according to google that 13,000 yen is 173$ in US dollars for another tablet controller, bull, no ones gonna want to pay almost that same price for the controller as the system!

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Smart move going to Blueray very nice though they seriously need to reconsider the price of that tablet controller, according to google that 13,000 yen is 173$ in US dollars for another tablet controller, bull, no ones gonna want to pay almost that same price for the controller as the system!
Thus the reason for no more than one wii u gamepad, that people complained about.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will anyone actually buy this? I'm not being sarcastic, are any of you planning on it?
Yep. ZombieU, Pikmin 3, Project-1000, Rayman Legends & NSMBU all look fantastic.

$299/$349 US.
"check with retailer for Europe price"
Premium (called Deluxe in US) comes with Nintendoland and I may bite that, Nintendoland actually looks good the more I see it and MetroidBlast which they're showing looks great.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    im sure half the responses won't be literal racial slurs or "drop table" jokes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Look, it's China. They know what it's like when you give a poll to half a billion trolls.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much dollar do you think it is?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    ONE MILLION DOLLA
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I know the pricing of electronics nowadays isn't "how much it actually costs" but "how much we can get away with", but putting up a poll is just cynical.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably $150 someone said Anbernic said around the same price as rg556
    you know which game i wish they would rerelease
    sonic unleashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +1
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [checks my dildo(s) batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [checks my batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D