Wii U Official Info (Japan for now) Launch Date, Two SKUs and Prices.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figures the WiiU pre-orders would go up on the day that I'm completely broke. I hope they aren't limited.......I really don't want to have to decide between getting Borderlands 2 or a console that doesn't even come out for 2 months.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How come the console launches in Japan on 8th of December, and in the US it's November 18?

Oh okay, it has always been like that.

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='the_randomizer']

So true. With it being 2 months away, that's plenty of time to save up for the deluxe, so whichever version/style someone wants, they'd be hard pressed to have a complaining voice about it. Hell it's still summer here in the US so there are plenty of lawns to be mowed for those who aren't able to get a "job" and at 20$ a yard, it'd only be 16 yards, between 2 months, they could do a yard every other day and be set lol.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.

http://www.engadget....ray-iwata-says/

Though yeah I'm still unsure why they mentioned Blu-Ray in the speeds...why not just mention the speed only? I guess what he meant was just BR/DVD video discs.
Just as the Wii was capable of DVD playback when hacking in the remaining files (as the discs were DVDs) the WiiU will most certainly be capable of BR playback when hacked.

It's just Nintendo being a cheapskates on licenses.

They need to market their drives as something different from DVD/BR for the essential reason that if you market them as DVD or BR then you also need to pay the licenses.
False info, Wii optical discs are no dvd's.
The wii system was on some moment capable of dvd playback, but the disc were never rebranded dvd's.
They are also nintendo's propritary wii optical disc, and are differ in capacity also.
wii disc, 4.37 Gb - DVD 4.7Gb. single layer.

Do some research. psychically the disc are DVDs but they are programmed in a different way to avoid royalty fees. The same for the DVDs on the PS2 actually that feature sony's compression tech. Kingdom Hearts 1&2 are such games. Unlike Nintendo, Sony never openly denied they were using DVDs however.
Actually the logo's for dvd playback can still be found in a nand dump.

Reactions: 1 person

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The temporary Swedish price is 5000 SEK (which equals to $760) fuck me sideways
LOL I've not heard 'fuck me sideways' for ages - I spat me drink all over my laptop!
Amazon's £200rrp sounds good, might creep under that at our local Asda or Tesco too..... though a probable £240, maybe £250 for the premium will be too good to pass up on, especially me with my 2 young lads at home and Nintendo Land..... that looks like the kind of game you wouldn't actually buy anyway, so the black colour and extra memory is a bonus! Rayman Legends, supposed-best-version-Sonic All Stars Racing 2, NSMBU and now Bayonetta 2? Day one purchase!!

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just pre-ordered mine.

On a side note, anyone know how you transfer purchases from the Wii? Is it Club Nintendo based? Because I just remembered mine was hacked and never linked it

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entry price on the premium is good enough for me, but I won't be buying into a Wii U this year, cannot justify buying 2 recent consoles in the same year.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.

http://www.engadget....ray-iwata-says/

Though yeah I'm still unsure why they mentioned Blu-Ray in the speeds...why not just mention the speed only? I guess what he meant was just BR/DVD video discs.

Such a dumb assumption on Nintendo's part. I got my first Blu-Ray player in the form of a PS3 earlier this year. Nintendo is overestimating the Blu-Ray adoption rate. Hell, they're killing themselves off from half of what makes the Xbox such a great console. Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Though I guess with the GamePad they'll be able to have some killer NetFlix support.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...8GB storage on Standard and 32GB storage on Premium? Really?

I can understand their silly belief that "high-density proprietary discs" are a good idea (hint: they're not. When you're making a video game console in the 21st century, you better make sure that it plays DVD's and BluRays because guess what? People like watching movies) but this really tears it - the games are supposed to be 25GB in size for the love of god.

This means that the Premium WiiU owners will be able to download *1* full game and the Basic WiiU owners will download f*ck all other than WiiUWare.

Nintendo, I understand that you've put an SD drive on this thing, but SD cards aren't *that* big.

Such a dumb assumption on Nintendo's part. I got my first Blu-Ray player in the form of a PS3 earlier this year. Nintendo is overestimating the Blu-Ray adoption rate. Hell, they're killing themselves off from half of what makes the Xbox such a great console. Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Though I guess with the GamePad they'll be able to have some killer NetFlix support.
Except NetFlix is closing their doors as far as full-lenght films are concerned. They're switching to series only, so bye bye theatrical releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious