Paula55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there :),

I am a student from Europe, bought my little brother a non-expensive second hand 32GB Wii U to give it to him during the summer :toot:, the Wii isn’t modded.

I have done some reading :wacko:, my firmware is v 5.5.1U, I disabled auto updates.

I will go for Haxchi (will buy the DS game) as I would rather not connect to the internet every time I want to install a new game.

I am looking for the cheapest option in terms of storage, I’d rather not buy an HDD and I am okay with installing one game at a time on the internal memory, using a 64GB SD Card.

Questions:

1- Does installing games directly on the internal storage means a risk of bricking the Wii? (some people advised to install them on USB HDD first to check if they work).

2- I read that there’s 25GB of space available for games for Deluxe version and the most voluminous game in USB Helper is 21GB, do you think that internal memory will be enough to install it (in other words if total game + update is 21GB will it only take 21GB after installation or more, in case some files are unzipped).

3- I am planning to copy the games I have already downloaded via USB Helper to another PC:

3.1- Will this be a problem? Can they get corrupted while copying using an SD card?

3.2- If I put them in the same path in the other PC USB Helper folder, will they be shown as “Downloaded” in USB helper so that I can use ‘’Copy to SD’’ feature?

3.3- Is it better to re-download them on the other PC instead to be safe?

4- I want to buy a 64GB SD card to use for installing games:

4.1- I can see that they have different speeds, does a faster SD card means that I can copy games to it from PC more faster or this will depend on the PC speed itself (I know that for USB it depends on ports but for SD I am not sure)? Ps: I am not asking about the speed in relation to Laodiine /play speed?

4.2- Will Micro SD + Adapter work to install games using Wup installer? (a micro SD will be of more use to me in the future, I can use it for my phone).

5- Is the only way to unbrick a WiiU using backed up sysNAND is to use Teensy?

6- I am planning to buy a second controller to play with my brother, is WiimotePlus + nunchuck my best option since unlike WiiPro Controller I can play all games with it (excluding 1 player gamepad dedicated games) :yaywii:.

7- Will I need to purchase a European Power adapter for both Wii and pad due to differences in voltage between the US and Europe?

Sorry for the many questions and if they aren’t all in the right section, I would appreciate if someone can take 5 minutes and answer them in a structured way as they were asked :bow::wub:.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right let's try this

1- Does installing games directly on the internal storage means a risk of bricking the Wii? (some people advised to install them on USB HDD first to check if they work).

I install them on an external drive but no, you do not risk bricking installing them internally as long as everything is done correctly

2- I read that there’s 25GB of space available for games for Deluxe version and the most voluminous game in USB Helper is 21GB, do you think that internal memory will be enough to install it (in other words if total game + update is 21GB will it only take 21GB after installation or more, in case some files are unzipped).

You need double space to install a game so a 21gb game would require 42gb free to install.

3- I am planning to copy the games I have already downloaded via USB Helper to another PC:

3.1- Will this be a problem? Can they get corrupted while copying using an SD card?

No more than any other computer fike

3.2- If I put them in the same path in the other PC USB Helper folder, will they be shown as “Downloaded” in USB helper so that I can use ‘’Copy to SD’’ feature?

Yes but normal copy and paste with Windows will do the same job

3.3- Is it better to re-download them on the other PC instead to be safe?

It honestly won't make a difference

4- I want to buy a 64GB SD card to use for installing games:

Get an external hard drive, I have a 250gb one on mine for not much more than a 64gb sd

4.1- I can see that they have different speeds, does a faster SD card means that I can copy games to it from PC more faster or this will depend on the PC speed itself (I know that for USB it depends on ports but for SD I am not sure)? Ps: I am not asking about the speed in relation to Laodiine /play speed?

Your capped by the controller on your pc, it won't make much difference when you get to a class 10

4.2- Will Micro SD + Adapter work to install games using Wup installer? (a micro SD will be of more use to me in the future, I can use it for my phone).

Yup I have a micro sd + adapter in mine, but I only use for emulators and homebrew

5- Is the only way to unbrick a WiiU using backed up sysNAND is to use Teensy?

Yes

6- I am planning to buy a second controller to play with my brother, is WiimotePlus + nunchuck my best option since unlike WiiPro Controller I can play all games with it (excluding 1 player gamepad dedicated games):yaywii:.

Matter of preference, I like the wii u pro controller

7- Will I need to purchase a European Power adapter for both Wii and pad due to differences in voltage between the US and Europe?

If its a US wii u you could just use a converter, either way it will do the same thing

Reactions: Paula55

Paula55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Yusuo for your swift answer :grog:.

Before I consider getting an external drive, I would like to explore Laodiine option first:

1- Do you think that Loadiine will do the trick?
2- Is there anyway to use Laodiine offline (not even selfhosting).
3- Is Zelda Breath of the Wild playable with Loadiine? Any major speed concerns?
4- Since we are talking about using SD for playing, does the speed of an SD card increase the speed of performance?
5- If it is the case, does the wii support all SD speeds? (high ones)
6- Regarding the controller I understand that you prefer Wii pro, but in terms of playability, can you please confirm that wiiremote+nunchuck is the best for playing most of the games (a greater number of games) as a second player compared to the other controllers.
7- On a different topic, do you think I should format my wii since it is preowned?
8- How does eshop work, should I enter my credit card details or it's already set up with the current owner hence I need to update it?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Paula55,

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Yusuo for your swift answer :grog:.

Before I consider getting an external drive, I would like to explore Laodiine option first:

1- Do you think that Loadiine will do the trick?
2- Is there anyway to use Laodiine offline (not even selfhosting).
3- Is Zelda Breath of the Wild playable with Loadiine? Any major speed concerns?
4- Since we are talking about using SD for playing, does the speed of an SD card increase the speed of performance?
5- If it is the case, does the wii support all SD speeds? (high ones)
6- Regarding the controller I understand that you prefer Wii pro, but in terms of playability, can you please confirm that wiiremote+nunchuck is the best for playing most of the games (a greater number of games) as a second player compared to the other controllers.
7- On a different topic, do you think I should format my wii since it is preowned?
8- How does eshop work, should I enter my credit card details or it's already set up with the current owner hence I need to update it?

Thanks a lot
I can't answer about loadiine as I don't use it, from what I remember reading there was a few issues with zelda and loadiine, it took a very long time to load. I personally don't have that issue but I use wupinstallet

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I wouldn't use loadiine. some games have a lot of files.
2. yes, with the loadiine channel. this requires a special version of loadiine or you'll be stuck at a blue screen.
3. iirc, that game has a lot of files, so see number 1.
4. afaik, it doesn't or at least there's very little difference.
5. I have a 256GB in mine. I don't know the limit.
6. that depends on the game.
7. that's up to you. personally, I would to remove all traces.
8. you can enter your credit card info and opt not to save it for next time. is the previous owner's info still in there? lol

Paula55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you yusuo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks @godreborn

I am going to get an external hard drive then, but I'll probably start with Loadiine before Haxchi (I know smaller games run properly).
1- Can you please show me or send me a link about how to install Loadiine for offline use, I have searched all the net but they always say that it needs to be online or self-hosted or with the use of a connected smartphone.

2- I will wipe the Wii as suggested, btw did you mean formatting it? would this take me to a version earlier than 5.5.1 then my only option is to update to 5.5.2?

3- Will Loadiine still still work with 5.5.2?

4- Is it worth it to update to 5.5.2 to avoid having the boring red X in the download app?

5- I know that hacking 5.5.2 is harder and it takes a lot of tries to get to howberw, if I update, will I have to go to the link with Expoilt and 1, 2 3 everytime I want to use homebrew loader or I should do it once and for all?.

6- I don't have a TV at the moment, would the pad be enough for the haking process or I should have a TV?

As for your question, I didn't check if the previous owner info is still saved, what are the odds :P jk

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. given those restrictions, you may have to go online or self-host to install the channel.
2. formatting should remove the profiles, yes. it won't affect the firmware.
3. yes, it should.
4. I wouldn't do it. you should block wii u updates if you can. there's no telling if Nintendo will pull a Sony and release an update months later.
5. not if you install haxchi do that before updating if you choose to do so.
6. you actually need the pad for the homebrew launcher. most, if not all, games can use the pad.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loadiine is old outdated method. It's slow, prone to corruption on SD card and here's the real kicker, you can't play ANY loadiine games online

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: