Hacking Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I am on 3.1.0 as all the games I have work with it. I have no auto-update worries. HBC works fine on the vWii. My HDD works as the USB port power hasn't been lowered (these issues started in 4.0.0 when people's HDDs suddenly stopped working).
I can appreciate the desire to stay on an older firmware too. I'm on 3.1.0 at the moment (that's what it came with). I didn't know about the USB power problems that started with 4.0.

However, I think the chances of any exploit being backported (if indeed earlier versions are exploitable, which isn't always the case) are very low. There are only a very few hackers working on this, and I doubt any of them have a 3.1.0 or earlier box to play with.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, I think the chances of any exploit being backported (if indeed earlier versions are exploitable, which isn't always the case) are very low. There are only a very few hackers working on this, and I doubt any of them have a 3.1.0 or earlier box to play with.

It's not just because I don't have an old system software version, I see absolutely no point in staying with an older version when the most recent version is exploitable.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience”

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo UK site still states 5.1.0E, I'm currently on 4.0.3E, am I best to update while I have the chance or stay where I am?

You're best just blocking updates entirely and staying on 4.0.3, or you're safe updating to 4.1.0 using the system update on MK8's disc if you want but other then that I'd just stay where you are.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why on earth do people have their WiiU configured to connect to the internet at all? I believe the Nintendo shop etc. will make you update anyway.

D

Deleted User

I was gonna update from 5.0.0 to 5.1.0 today. Guess I'm just gonna hang back then. :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh yeah, so I'm in a bit of a pickle with blacklisting the addresses. Turns out Google Fiber has no such option in their network box, meaning there's no way for me to circumvent the update, only way for now would be for me to load the vWii first, then go to Wii U menu and disable the WiFi settings. Can there anything be done with port forwarding and then block a certain port somehow? I'm at a loss here.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have been noticing their fan base recently i bet they saw the mario kart 8 mods first and that lead them hear

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/136344#136344

From cached version before edit (http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...techforums.nintendo.com/message/136344#136344):
I've just spent a good deal of time reading up on certain exploits that have been made public that allow read/write access to the system RAM while a game is running.

It seems the game that has gotten the most attention so far is Mario Kart 8.

I've seen several examples of what has been achieved so far and it's very similar to the hacks that pretty much ruined MKWii's online experience.

Nintendo, this is a wake-up call for you! Again... It's so easy to prevent this kind of thing, here's some examples:

1 - To play online, everyone must be on the latest version of every peice of firmware and system component.
2 - Release incremental patches to Mario Kart 8 often! When an exploit becomes main stream, release a small patch to block such types of exploits and unauthorized access to system RAM.
3 - Make servers smarter! Use servers to also detect for the use of common exploits and update the exploit definition list often.
4 - Also, this game is awesome! Don't think for a second that you are done with it! You can keep this gravy train going for a VERY long time with patches, updates, DLC, new tracks, etc., etc...But the key to success is nipping these hackers and cheaters in the bud!

Please, Nintendo, take a more agressive role against these damaging activities!

Thank you!

-Paul

Seriously, **** Paul.

Also, this is what happens when you spread videos of hacking games before exploit is finished...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E