Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is great news! Unfortunately, my console auto updated recently (my fault, I moved the console to a different location). In the other thread @golden45 said that he is only working on 5.3.2 but it shouldn't be hard to port. Does that mean it should be portable to the latest version?
Still needs another exploit release then anyway :P

Reactions: Margen67

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I made a thing:
Custom Index Image (Credits)

EDITS:
It'll work depending on your background image size. Haven't found a limit, but here's what I've tried:

background image size - result
776KB - freeze
726KB - freeze
429KB - freeze
322KB - freeze
302KB - freeze
179KB - freeze
71KB - works
61KB - works
20KB - works

I settled for just using JPG instead of PNG and my original picture works. :) (776KB as a PNG, 71KB as a JPG). I used a 980x513 image with 158 PPI. The HTML code and a tutorial is in my guide.

@NWPlayer123 is there any logical reason why it behaves like this? lol

Last edited by fiveighteen,

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The big thing is that once there's a reliable RPX/ELF loader that runs at launch of an application, we basically have access to everything a developer has (within reason). Get access to all the cores, get access to all the memory, can allocate and rearrange as needed. Don't think any of the SDK specific dev functions will be available any time soon but anything you can run on production hardware will be, plus you have kernel permissions too which is something normal apps don't.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Someone really needs to find a way to get usb acess or we arent going anywhere homebrewwise we cant do much with just network since any files that are slightly bigger will take ages to load into ram.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone really needs to find a way to get usb acess or we arent going anywhere homebrewwise we cant do much with just network since any files that are slightly bigger will take ages to load into ram.
"Find a way" = IOSU access, which is something very few people can work on. Networking isn't THAT bad, just takes a while sending it all through one socket, depending on the files. I think people are severely overestimating how much this is going to take, just straight code will take no time at all, even production code is like 8 or 9MB max and I can send a 50MB file through Cafiine in a very decent amount of time. Unless you're doing heavy graphics stuff (or a backup loader >.>) this isn't going to matter.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"Find a way" = IOSU access, which is something very few people can work on. Networking isn't THAT bad, just takes a while sending it all through one socket, depending on the files. I think people are severely overestimating how much this is going to take, just straight code will take no time at all, even production code is like 8 or 9MB max and I can send a 50MB file through Cafiine in a very decent amount of time. Unless you're doing heavy graphics stuff (or a backup loader >.>) this isn't going to matter.
Well that still isnt enough, just making an example off SSBB modding i got almost 2gb of mods for ssbb all file replacements being from characters, movesets stages and etc so loading almost 2gb of file replacements would take ages trough network heck it already akes like 10 seconds of loading screen trough usb so you can see how much data gets replaced.

dibas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
I'm not sure why everyone wants USB access so bad when it seems likely that we are theoretically able to read/write files from an SD card with the public exploits we have now. We should focus on that, imho. FAT32, unencrypted, supported by literally every computer on earth.

JaceCearK1

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not sure why everyone wants USB access so bad when it seems likely that we are theoretically able to read/write files from an SD card with the public exploits we have now. We should focus on that, imho. FAT32, unencrypted, supported by literally every computer on earth.
SD cards are more expensive and can't hold 1TB+! ;)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
since when? we cant acess SD cards at all from what the devs said SD card acess will be way harder than usb acess.

dibas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
SD cards are more expensive and can't hold 1TB+! ;)
SD cards with 64-128GB are really affordable currently, and it would be more than enough for tons of modding/emus/homebrew, literally everything except for complete backup loading (even that, just not a lot of games at the same time), which is, honestly, negligible currently.

since when? we cant acess SD cards at all from what the devs said SD card acess will be way harder than usb acess.

Have a look at this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-552#post-5669277

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
SD cards with 64-128GB are really affordable currently, and it would be more than enough for tons of modding/emus/homebrew, literally everything except for complete backup loading (even that, just not a lot of games at the same time), which is, honestly, negligible currently.

Have a look at this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-552#post-5669277
They only said it should be possible they didnt said it was working, so yeah as off this time we have neither usb or sd acess saying its possible its diferent than saying its working.

dibas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
They only said it should be possible they didnt said it was working, so yeah as off this time we have neither usb or sd acess saying its possible its diferent than saying its working.

Which is exactly what I said in my previous post, mate (note the "theoretically"). We should probably focus on making that happen, because we are likely able to with the kernel exploit that is currently publicly available. It's better than chasing after USB r/w access, for it could take quite some time for a public IOSU exploit, that is.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Which is exactly what I said in my previous post, mate (note the "theoretically"). We should probably focus on making that happen, because we are likely able to with the kernel exploit that is currently publicly available. It's better than chasing after USB r/w access, for it could take quite some time for a public IOSU exploit, that is.
well tbh they said usb acess should be possible when kernel was released so the should be possible isnt an assurance at all.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: 21/09/2105. Sorry just doing it for fun now! Notice SDCafiine Added @Summersett
S1150001.jpg

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1