Wii U DS Virtual Console games aren't smooth. Native VCs, not even injects

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah hitching you say?? Then your absolutely right, no one has mentioned that as I don't think anyone knows what that is.

So I'll ask again then.... what are you gonna do about it?

Maybe the ninjas can offer you a job pointing out minor flaws on their dead console and you can be the saviour of the wii u ds framerates or whatever your problem is.

Read between the lines man, whatever you want to call it no one cares, specifically anyone with enough knowledge and skill to fix it and there is nothing that can be done about it this late in the consoles life. Sorry to be blunt but that is the fact of the matter.

If you can't enjoy your unofficially modded wii u then you should maybe buy an old ds and be done with it.

Reactions: AmandaRose

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Still waiting for that link since apparently the hitching was common knowledge.
Please stop saying "hitching", when you really mean "frame-skipping". You just sound foolish using the wrong terminology. "Hitching" is defined as hooking two or more things together, like a pickup truck to a trailer hitch.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please stop saying "hitching", when you really mean "frame-skipping". You just sound foolish using the wrong terminology. "Hitching" is defined as hooking two or more things together, like a pickup truck to a trailer hitch.
To be fair hitching has been used to describe stuttering in games as far back as the Amiga. Mabye even longer but that's when I first heard it used. It's just a term I haven't heard anyone say since the mid 90s.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hitching a ride is the only use I've ever heard of lol and never in use with screens or videogames but i digress.

I'm certainly not trying to call the op a fool or anything of the sort, whatever term people use is fine even if lost in translation but the point i think everyone agrees on is that yeah, ds games kinda suck on wii u.

Personally I wouldn't agree it's anything to get so upset about but the argument has turned into the op just claiming to be the first to notice or mention it which is neither a problem, an issue or a solution. Just totally pointless thread.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hitching a ride is the only use I've ever heard of lol and never in use with screens or videogames but i digress.

I'm certainly not trying to call the op a fool or anything of the sort, whatever term people use is fine even if lost in translation but the point i think everyone agrees on is that yeah, ds games kinda suck on wii u.

Personally I wouldn't agree it's anything to get so upset about but the argument has turned into the op just claiming to be the first to notice or mention it which is neither a problem, an issue or a solution. Just totally pointless thread.
I'm bored today so went exploring the old Interwebs seems I was somewhat wrong as people really are still using the term now.

Found this and was a interesting read.

https://thelaptoparts.com/learning-guide/what-is-hitching-in-games/

Reactions: Lostbhoy

xLothwenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xLothwenx the thing is that most of these talks where on chatrooms (internet is more than just web pages) but anyway, here's your link: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/ds_vc_feels_a_bit_disappointingly_unpolished
I had actually read that page and thread before posting here. It doesn't mention the frame rate issue. Unfortunately the blatantly obvious "big chunky pixels" AKA "native resolution" distracts normies from the more important lack of motion accuracy.
Please stop saying "hitching", when you really mean "frame-skipping". You just sound foolish using the wrong terminology.

I worked on a AAA video game. There they told us to use the term "hitching." I use it in this thread in the hopes normies like you have a higher chance of understanding the issue.

There is no "accurate" term to use, since there is no Dumb Ass Video Game Term Dictionary, unfortunately. Plus we don't know for sure if it's frame "pacing" until we disassemble the code and then isolate the issue.
Bad frame pacing is a common issue with many consoles due to refresh rate mismatching. GBA games on NDS definitely have it, and I believe GBA and NDS games on 3DS also have it. It's just a limitation of the hardware.
Accurate statement, except for the last sentence. It is not a limitation of the hardware. Bad "frame pacing" is a software issue.

Someone hurry up and find a mention of the frame rate issue, so I can be disproven and move on to the second phase of this thread.

Yoshi's Island DS also has this problem.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Accurate statement, except for the last sentence. It is not a limitation of the hardware. Bad "frame pacing" is a software issue.
Software won't make the Wii U output at 59.83Hz. The only way a Wii U is playing DS games with correct frame pacing is frame blending (not really a fix) or incorrect game speed.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Is he expecting a call from the president or some kind of an award for his discovery?

Look, the emulator has issues, it is what it is, but it’s still one of the best “official” DS emulators out there and I assure you most people didn’t even notice the frame drops or low resolution, and for us who noticed it we got over it a long time ago, if it bothers you by all means there are other “non-official” emulators out there, unless you have an idea or a solution I just don’t see the point of this thread especially with that tone and attitude.

xLothwenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Software won't make the Wii U output at 59.83Hz. The only way a Wii U is playing DS games with correct frame pacing is frame blending (not really a fix) or incorrect game speed.
Correct; the game speed won't be 100% accurate to whatever arbitrary precision you think is making a point. The expectation should be the game runs locked at the 60-ish FPS of the host system, this being the Wii U.

Retroarch has solved this problem by making slight adjustments to the audio pitch, which is essentially perceptually transparent. Nintendo, with all their money and resources, should have paid attention to the state of the art.

If no one (except me [lol, now I'm just rubbing it in]) can even notice the hitching in the first place, how do you expect normies to notice the difference between locked 59.xx or locked 60.xx?
that tone and attitude.
Yes, Biden should be able to stay awake enough to present me an award. My tone and attitude are wonderful.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Retroarch has solved this problem by making slight adjustments to the audio pitch, which is essentially perceptually transparent. Nintendo, with all their money and resources, should have paid attention to the state of the art.
Are talking about RetroArch on the Wii U or the PC? The Wii U version doesn't support DS emulation.

xLothwenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is this general emulation challenge ("problem") has been solved. I used Retroarch (PC, AKA tons of different configurations) as an example because it's the most high-profile one that solved it.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
The point is this general emulation challenge ("problem") has been solved. I used Retroarch (PC, AKA tons of different configurations) as an example because it's the most high-profile one that solved it.
Isn't the point of this thread to talk about the emulation on the Wii U? Even some supported libretro cores have issues on the Wii U. Directly comparing it to other platforms doesn't make much sense (Unless the hardware and software are similar)

xLothwenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you've just confused the point of this sub-conversion with the point of the entire thread. They are separate and distinct things.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Correct; the game speed won't be 100% accurate to whatever arbitrary precision you think is making a point. The expectation should be the game runs locked at the 60-ish FPS of the host system, this being the Wii U.

This is a relatively advanced feature as far as emulation goes. In my experience most emulators either synchronize to audio or video and tolerate whatever other synchronization issues result from that choice.

As you understand, few people notice the frame pacing problem in the Wii U DS VC or any similar situations. There are more obvious issues with this emulator, like compatibility.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I worked on a AAA video game.
What game was this and are you able to prove you worked on it?
Someone hurry up and find a mention of the frame rate issue, so I can be disproven and move on to the second phase of this thread.
Why not just stop trolling and move on? Comeon AAA dev, show us how to fix the issue.
Nintendo, with all their money and resources, should have paid attention to the state of the art.
The Wii U was a flop in Nintendos eyes. Why should they put any money/resources into a failure? You, as an AAA game dev, should know this. So what are you even talking about?

@Foxi4 Could you please lock this thread before it goes into a flame war?

Reactions: sonictopfan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway