Hacking Wii Mod

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IOS0 does not exist. It's a leftover trace from some app that doesn't know how to clean up after itself. In some cases its existence can prevent a wii from being able to run any titles at all.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Thanks for the info about IOS1+2; I was not aware. I currently do not have an IOS3 on my Wii; I was looking for lower IOS that I could install my Custom SM to (so far I've been using IOS123) but considering how it is ill-advised to delete any IOS below 200 or even 100 since it's unsurpassed I was hoping; no matter how grim it may look and having bootmii/boot2 only makes me feel more at ease.

I do have an IOS0 but not an official IOS3 and I'll even post a pic for you to see; I have been doing a lot of reading about IOS lately and found IOS0 to be somewhat rare or exclusive.

You mentioned dumping the hash; it's time for a noob question, how do I do that? seriously... I have a bootmii nand dump; could I just as easily extract it from there and let you look at the said wad or a full bootmii dump?

I will try re-installing some my IOS236 cause sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt but it does make me feel a little better knowing that there is a glitch in installing IOS3 with a Custom SM. I can get it installed just have to play with it at times; what worried me was after getting IOS3 installed and Custom SM to go with it, when I tried to re-install IOS123 (this would install with no problem) and the Custom SM (this would always ret=unkown error) it failed at the end and 1 time even froze. Still if it's a glitch I'm not worried but would you say since I managed to get IOS3 installed along with a Custom SM to go with it that the Wii should act ok?

I should also mention that the reason I'm even remotely curios in a very low IOS being used with a Custom SM is a few months back when I read up on SM-X; the idea is just brilliant. If the an IOS like this was used for this particular purpose it would be kind of noob proof once the procedure was completed and most people wont even mess with an IOS that low anyways.

Well jskyboo, thanks for the info and advice. I'll keep it in mind; just let me know if you want to check into IOS0.

Here is a sysCheck of my Wii using sysCheck v2.1.0b13 < http://www.mediafire.com/?ym70hf052dtqm

IOS0 does not show up in ShowMiiWads nor is it able to be extracted??? Confusion.When I say dump hashes I mean with Wii Mod, goto Check IOSs and turn on the option to dump hashes, it will have extra output with the rest of the syscheck that will contain the hashes for the IOSs. When I say there is a glitch with IOS 3 I more mean the behavior isn't as I would like it to be, its possible it works for you but I would recommend just waiting for the next release before messing around with running an sm from IOS 3 for now. If you have bootmii boot2 you probably have nothing to worry about but I would be surprised if you got the results you wanted without having to go a bit out of the way, that's why I'm going to work on the support for IOS 3 for the next release so it will work smoother.

tueidj said:
IOS0 does not exist. It's a leftover trace from some app that doesn't know how to clean up after itself. In some cases its existence can prevent a wii from being able to run any titles at all.tueidj is right, IOS 0 is used by some apps to give it temporary permissions(way back before AHBPROT), but most of the apps that create it do not clean it up and remove it. I believe way back in the history of Wii Mod(before 1.0) it too used it as the programs I have built it from used it. Although I'm pretty sure that is no longer(if you see otherwise though let me know). I'm not really sure what tueidj means with it causing problems though. I don't think I have seen that, but maybe some homebrew apps don't handle it correctly. I wouldn't think nintendo code would have problems with it but its hard to say for certain. I still would recommend removing it.

QUOTE(kylster @ Sep 26 2011, 09:37 PM)
well then i'll be sure to delete it then; thank you.

EDIT: For what ever reason I get an error trying to delete IOS0 :/
Hmm, I thought I had tested deleting it with the title manager. Were you using AHBPROT or 236?

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I thought I had tested deleting it with the title manager. Were you using AHBPROT or 236? Both actually; I tried using the default IOS58+AHBPROT that WiiMod boots into and then changing IOS236. I'll post a pic of what it does.

Albatroz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just edit sd:/apps/wiimod/wiimod.txt and change these lines:
AutoLoadIOS=236 --> change it to AutoLoadIOS=0
and
AutoLoadOnInstall=1 --> change it to AutoLoadOnInstall=0

or just disable those lines using ";" before
;AutoLoadIOS=236
;AutoLoadOnInstall=1

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Hmm, I thought I had tested deleting it with the title manager. Were you using AHBPROT or 236? Both actually; I tried using the default IOS58+AHBPROT that WiiMod boots into and then changing IOS236. I'll post a pic of what it does.
Well I just tried it again and I was able to successfully delete IOS 0. Now there was a slight "glitch" in that it deleted it but Wii Mod didn't reload the list and so until I restarted the app it was still listed, but after starting the app again it was gone. I'll try to fix the "glitch" for the next release. It might have something to do with what app installed it, I was using FS-Dumper_v1 and maybe the IOS 0 is slightly different when installed by a different app. If you know which app you used that installed it on your wii maybe I could try that and it might work differently. If you don't know which app you got it from perhaps you could post a screenshot of the title listing when you first select it for deletion and it tells the details, that might help but it's hard to say since I'm not seeing the same behavior as you described.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
kylster said:
Well I just tried it again and I was able to successfully delete IOS 0. Now there was a slight "glitch" in that it deleted it but Wii Mod didn't reload the list and so until I restarted the app it was still listed, but after starting the app again it was gone. I'll try to fix the "glitch" for the next release. It might have something to do with what app installed it, I was using FS-Dumper_v1 and maybe the IOS 0 is slightly different when installed by a different app. If you know which app you used that installed it on your wii maybe I could try that and it might work differently. If you don't know which app you got it from perhaps you could post a screenshot of the title listing when you first select it for deletion and it tells the details, that might help but it's hard to say since I'm not seeing the same behavior as you described.
Here is a photo of me trying to delete it and everything; this is using AHBPROT+IOS58; I get same error if using IOS236.
IMG00093-20110927-2338.jpg

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Here is a photo of me trying to delete it and everything; this is using AHBPROT+IOS58; I get same error if using IOS236.
Yeah that's what it looks like to me, but after restarting Wii Mod, or doing something that causes the titles list to reload(deleting a normal title, installing a title, etc) IOS 0 is no longer there. The "error" you are seeing is when it tries to delete the ticket it fails because IOS 0 does not have a ticket(maybe I can make that a little smarter). So it's still there for you after starting Wii Mod again? If so I may need to know how it was installed on your Wii cause it sounds like it might be different than the one I'm testing with.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
kylster said:
Yeah that's what it looks like to me, but after restarting Wii Mod, or doing something that causes the titles list to reload(deleting a normal title, installing a title, etc) IOS 0 is no longer there. The "error" you are seeing is when it tries to delete the ticket it fails because IOS 0 does not have a ticket(maybe I can make that a little smarter). So it's still there for you after starting Wii Mod again? If so I may need to know how it was installed on your Wii cause it sounds like it might be different than the one I'm testing with.
Yes it's still there after starting WiiMod over. I'm really for sure what I used that put it there.

From my memory; here is a list of homebrew I've used in the past:
Dop-Mii
Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition
Dop-Mii MOD
Waninkoko cios installer from v.7-20b
Waninkoko Safe Updater for SM4.1+4.2
MMM
WiiMod

I dont think I've used any other app that modified IOS below 200 except these; which would be your usual cIOS installers.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Yes it's still there after starting WiiMod over. I'm really for sure what I used that put it there.

Dop-Mii
Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition
Dop-Mii MOD
MMM
WiiMod

I dont think I've used any other app that modified IOS below 200 except these; which would be your usual cIOS installers.
Do you know the versions of Dop-Mii and MMM you used? Also "Dop-Mii MOD", I think you mean Dop-IOS Mod as in the app before it was changed to Dop-Mii, is that correct? Again which versions if you know. I don't think it would be Wanin's cios or safe updater, Wanin has used IOS 0 before but I don't believe in those apps but if I can't find it from the others I will test it. Also it may be in Dop-IOS Mod but I would think it was removed sometime in Dop-Mii but I really am not sure since I haven't used those apps since I branched off of Dop-IOS Mod. MMM is a possibility as I believe Dop-IOS Mod did use it, and then my mod of it used it and then MMM being a mod of that would still have it. I'll do some testing with these apps and see what I can find but if you know the versions used that might help narrow the search a bit. Also its not just apps that install IOSs that could have done it, as I mentioned I tested with FS-Dumper_v1 for installing it and then removing it with Wii Mod. So if you can think of any other apps that would need special permissions those might be something to test as well.

beav1s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey jskyboo, great app
ive been having trouble getting the smb function in wad manager to work correctly. im able to login and connect to the share, but files dont show up correctly. the .wad filter settings dont make a difference. something strange is if i create empty files those will showup. i created a.wad and a.bmp in the share, both empty files, and the browser displayed them but the other .wad files in the directory that were real wont show. also put a small .mp3 file in the share and it wouldnt show either. seems any file with any size wont appear. ty for help

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
kylster said:

Dop-Mii
Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition
Dop-Mii MOD
MMM
WiiMod

Do you know the versions of Dop-Mii and MMM you used? Also "Dop-Mii MOD", I think you mean Dop-IOS Mod as in the app before it was changed to Dop-Mii, is that correct? Again which versions if you know. I don't think it would be Wanin's cios or safe updater, Wanin has used IOS 0 before but I don't believe in those apps but if I can't find it from the others I will test it. Also it may be in Dop-IOS Mod but I would think it was removed sometime in Dop-Mii but I really am not sure since I haven't used those apps since I branched off of Dop-IOS Mod. MMM is a possibility as I believe Dop-IOS Mod did use it, and then my mod of it used it and then MMM being a mod of that would still have it. I'll do some testing with these apps and see what I can find but if you know the versions used that might help narrow the search a bit. Also its not just apps that install IOSs that could have done it, as I mentioned I tested with FS-Dumper_v1 for installing it and then removing it with Wii Mod. So if you can think of any other apps that would need special permissions those might be something to test as well.

Your right it was Dop-IOS & Dop-IOS Mod(your former app) I used those when SM4.1 was the latest out.
I have used Simple FS Dumper v.42 < https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ho...fsd-nand-dumper and also the v.42fix (though I do not have these anymore on my SD card.

I can't remember the name of the 2 apps but one was used just for updating all the channels on the Wii like Internet, Mii, Shop, Etc. and the other app was used to just update the Mii Channel.
  • IOS58 Installer
  • WiiMC
  • sysCheck GX
  • sysCheck
  • Mighty Channels
  • Mighty Channels Mod
  • Savegame Manager (even the AHBPROT test.dol)
  • Accio Hacks
  • USB Loader GX
  • Neogamma
  • Netflix
  • CFG Loader (both 222 and 249)
  • IOS236 installer
  • Simple IOS Patcher
  • BootMii Config Editor
  • Brawl Stats
  • Clean Rip
  • Ocarina
  • FCEU GX
  • Homebrew Browser
  • Mplayer
  • MyMenuify
  • Priiloader
  • Preloader
  • Riivolution
  • d2x cIOS installer (multiple 2.2 and also 3.0)
  • >uname
  • Wiiflow
  • Pimp My Wii
  • Virtual Boy
  • Snes9x GX (also cover mod)
  • WiiXplorer
  • Hermes cIOS installer (all the installers including the Mod)
  • Waninkoko USB Loader

I have my friends Wii here just hooked it up to see if I could delete his IOS0; know and behold he has a IOS3. Considering I have only used ModMii; it should be legit.

Here is a wiimod.csv from his wii: http://www.mediafire.com/?uksvvsqu9gtsn8r
I even dumped the IOS and have a bootmii nand dump if anyone knows how to check to see if it's signed by Ninty.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got a bug to report. It exists in both Wii Mod v2.9 and BLIND, so I don't think it's something I changed.

When cBoot252 is installed, it thinks all IOS's are up to date, even if they aren't. I've tried installing another IOS into 252 but can't repeat the results. I tried leaving cboot252 installed and removing/changing the hash check, but it still doesn't fix it. I have no idea what is causing the problem.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. IOS0 is now deleted off my system; not entirely sure what I did different; just been going back and forth between my friends Wii and mine (tinkering). Anyways the IOS is off my system so if you could provide some insight about IOS3; I know it's probably not priority but it does have the same same version# listed on Wiibrew and unless ModMii downloads it; I never did install it on his Wii.

Also why does my Wii give Error: System Menu Region Error!!!; I can play online just fine (and everything else), also I do not think it's a Region Brick if that's what you would call it. (Then again I do not really know what a region brick is LoL)

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Ok. IOS0 is now deleted off my system; not entirely sure what I did different; just been going back and forth between my friends Wii and mine (tinkering). Anyways the IOS is off my system so if you could provide some insight about IOS3; I know it's probably not priority but it does have the same same version# listed on Wiibrew and unless ModMii downloads it; I never did install it on his Wii.

Also why does my Wii give Error: System Menu Region Error!!!; I can play online just fine (and everything else), also I do not think it's a Region Brick if that's what you would call it. (Then again I do not really know what a region brick is LoL)
It's a bug in v2.9. Your System Menu region isn't recognized since the version is modified. A region brick is when your system region and SM region don't match up. You can boot the Wii but entering settings will freeze your Wii.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beav1s said:
hey jskyboo, great app
ive been having trouble getting the smb function in wad manager to work correctly. im able to login and connect to the share, but files dont show up correctly. the .wad filter settings dont make a difference. something strange is if i create empty files those will showup. i created a.wad and a.bmp in the share, both empty files, and the browser displayed them but the other .wad files in the directory that were real wont show. also put a small .mp3 file in the share and it wouldnt show either. seems any file with any size wont appear. ty for helpHmm, What Windows is the share on? When developing it I used Win XP which unfortunately I don't have a machine with that installed right now. So I'll have to set that up to test this so I probably won't get to this in time for the next release of Wii Mod but I will add it to my list of bugs to fix. Do any of the past Wii Mod versions work differently? If so that might hint at what the problem is and if so possibly have it fixed in the next release but I might need a tester.

kylster said:
Your right it was Dop-IOS & Dop-IOS Mod(your former app) I used those when SM4.1 was the latest out.
I have used Simple FS Dumper v.42 < https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ho...fsd-nand-dumper and also the v.42fix (though I do not have these anymore on my SD card.

I can't remember the name of the 2 apps but one was used just for updating all the channels on the Wii like Internet, Mii, Shop, Etc. and the other app was used to just update the Mii Channel.
[*]IOS58 Installer
[*]WiiMC
[*]sysCheck GX
[*]sysCheck
[*]Mighty Channels
[*]Mighty Channels Mod
[*]Savegame Manager (even the AHBPROT test.dol)
[*]Accio Hacks
[*]USB Loader GX
[*]Neogamma
[*]Netflix
[*]CFG Loader (both 222 and 249)
[*]IOS236 installer
[*]Simple IOS Patcher
[*]BootMii Config Editor
[*]Brawl Stats
[*]Clean Rip
[*]Ocarina
[*]FCEU GX
[*]Homebrew Browser
[*]Mplayer
[*]MyMenuify
[*]Priiloader
[*]Preloader
[*]Riivolution
[*]d2x cIOS installer (multiple 2.2 and also 3.0)
[*]>uname
[*]Wiiflow
[*]Pimp My Wii
[*]Virtual Boy
[*]Snes9x GX (also cover mod)
[*]WiiXplorer
[*]Hermes cIOS installer (all the installers including the Mod)
[*]Waninkoko USB Loader

I have my friends Wii here just hooked it up to see if I could delete his IOS0; know and behold he has a IOS3. Considering I have only used ModMii; it should be legit.

Here is a wiimod.csv from his wii: http://www.mediafire.com/?uksvvsqu9gtsn8r
I even dumped the IOS and have a bootmii nand dump if anyone knows how to check to see if it's signed by Ninty.Well actually Dop-IOS Mod is not my app, Dop-IOS Mod was developed by the same people behind Dop-Mii. My app before I named it Wii Mod was just informally called "MOD of DOP-IOS MOD" a quite atrocious name if ever there was one but I never put that actually into the program, which is why I decided to give it a name. But as you said it had the same IOS 0 issue, but I think by the time of the release of Wii Mod that code had been removed(or at lease commented out). Do you think you could put that list in spoiler tags? "thanks that would be great"

JoostinOnline said:
I've got a bug to report. It exists in both Wii Mod v2.9 and BLIND, so I don't think it's something I changed.

When cBoot252 is installed, it thinks all IOS's are up to date, even if they aren't. I've tried installing another IOS into 252 but can't repeat the results. I tried leaving cboot252 installed and removing/changing the hash check, but it still doesn't fix it. I have no idea what is causing the problem.I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Are you trying to run Check IOSs or are you trying to Update all IOSs on the IOS menu, because those do very different things. Check IOSs is just to get permissions(syscheck).

QUOTE(kylster @ Sep 29 2011, 06:04 AM) Ok. IOS0 is now deleted off my system; not entirely sure what I did different; just been going back and forth between my friends Wii and mine (tinkering). Anyways the IOS is off my system so if you could provide some insight about IOS3; I know it's probably not priority but it does have the same same version# listed on Wiibrew and unless ModMii downloads it; I never did install it on his Wii.

Glad you were finally able to remove IOS 0. If I had to guess as to why it worked...and this is just a shot in the dark...I would guess if my assumption was correct that not all IOS 0's are the same and depending on which app installed it changed whether or not Wii Mod could successfully remove it then maybe after you did some testing you install another IOS 0 over the one you had previously and Wii Mod was able to remove that one. But really that is only a guess cause I wasn't able to replicate your situation, IOS 0 was always being removed in my testing. As for the region thing....

QUOTE(JoostinOnline @ Sep 29 2011, 11:09 AM)
It's a bug in v2.9. Your System Menu region isn't recognized since the version is modified. A region brick is when your system region and SM region don't match up. You can boot the Wii but entering settings will freeze your Wii.
Joostin is right, in fact I already mentioned this and said Joostin is the one that brought it to my attention. It's a bug in 2.9 with some system menus(4.1 being one of them) and it will be fixed in the next release. Basically if 2.8 doesn't say you have a region error you likely don't.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
JoostinOnline said:

When cBoot252 is installed, it thinks all IOS's are up to date, even if they aren't. I've tried installing another IOS into 252 but can't repeat the results. I tried leaving cboot252 installed and removing/changing the hash check, but it still doesn't fix it. I have no idea what is causing the problem.I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Are you trying to run Check IOSs or are you trying to Update all IOSs on the IOS menu, because those do very different things. Check IOSs is just to get permissions(syscheck).

I don't have the korean IOS's installed as there is no need for them, so the banner in Wii Mod/BLIND is yellow and so is the Update All IOS's option in the IOS menu. However, if I install cBoot252 (but not the korean IOS's), it acts like everything is updated.

I'm sure you will want to test it yourself, so go here to download it:
http://tinyurl.com/cBoot252

Btw, you might want to add this to Settings.c
CODE
u32 hash4[5] = { 0xe8806745, 0x638de7c2, 0x5d1f5183, 0xf77a26c1, 0xad2f56c1 };//obcd ios 253 bootsnk
memcpy( hashesSkipIOS[skipHashesCnt++], hash4, sizeof(sha1));
I'll be adding it to the next release of BLIND.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
I don't have the korean IOS's installed as there is no need for them, so the banner in Wii Mod/BLIND is yellow and so is the Update All IOS's option in the IOS menu. However, if I install cBoot252 (but not the korean IOS's), it acts like everything is updated.

Code:
u32 hash4[5] = { 0xe8806745, 0x638de7c2, 0x5d1f5183, 0xf77a26c1, 0xad2f56c1 };//obcd ios 253 bootsnk
Do you still have the cboot252 forwarder installed? Because if so that title requires 252 so Wii Mod thinks you are missing an IOS. If you look at scanIOSUsedByTypes in detect_settings you'll see how Wii Mod decides if it is missing an IOS. It looks at all your titles and looks at the IOS they say they require, if it is missing it throws the flag. Maybe I could make it only throw the flag if the missing IOS is an official one, I didn't really consider this kind of situation when I wrote that code. But it's not flagging it because you are missing the korean IOSs its because it thinks you need 252.

What title is that hash for? I'm not familiar with obcd ios 253 bootsnk.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
JoostinOnline said:

Code:
Do you still have the cboot252 forwarder installed? Because if so that title requires 252 so Wii Mod thinks you are missing an IOS. If you look at scanIOSUsedByTypes in detect_settings you'll see how Wii Mod decides if it is missing an IOS. It looks at all your titles and looks at the IOS they say they require, if it is missing it throws the flag. Maybe I could make it only throw the flag if the missing IOS is an official one, I didn't really consider this kind of situation when I wrote that code. But it's not flagging it because you are missing the korean IOSs its because it thinks you need 252.

What title is that hash for? I'm not familiar with obcd ios 253 bootsnk.
Lol, you were right. I had forgotten I even had the channel installed. I only uninstalled 252 last night because I was doing some testing for XFlak. This make so much more sense. I've been trying to figure out the cause all day. Once I have a solution, would you like me to post it?

As for 253, it's quite similar to cBoot252, except its purpose is for launching *NEEK without messing with your bootmii folder.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=290489&hl=

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Funny to think that I'm one of the top chatters on GBAtemp with over 14,534 messages.