Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

kagamutora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i have a question what does it mean when your 4.1u homebrew hacked wii does the update and the themes disapear but all your installed wads and homebrew channel stay? is my wii some super rare superwii? i mean from my understanding this new update was supposed to get rid of it completely and yet here i am starring at my screen in disbelief.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
kagamutora said:
so i have a question what does it mean when your 4.1u homebrew hacked wii does the update and the themes disapear but all your installed wads and homebrew channel stay? is my wii some super rare superwii? i mean from my understanding this new update was supposed to get rid of it completely and yet here i am starring at my screen in disbelief.

Yes, you have a mutant Wii that all future Wii's will be cloned from in order to save wii-humanity and irradicate all wii-related diseases.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
kagamutora said:
Why would updating delete channels?

NDSPhr34k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently on a Wii w/ SysMenu 4.1 (from Waninkoko's updater) with cIOS Rev14, and whichever Hermes cIOS that shipped with the most recent version of mplayer_ce. I also had, up until the release of SysMenu 4.2, the most recent versions of all other channels thanks to WiiSCU.

My questions are for updating from 4.1 > 4.2.

1) First run HackMii 0.5 to install latest HBC, then DVDX, then BootMii.

Can I install directly over my previous installs of HBC, DVDX, and BootMii? Or should I uninstall them first?

2) Updating the latest Shop Channel to 4.2.

Is it recommended to do this BEFORE running Waninkoko's SysMenu 4.2 updater? And wiibrew's page says some people have success updating w/ WiiSCU, while others are using marc's 4.2 Shop Chan Updater. What does WiiSCU do that marc's updater does / does not do?

3) Waninkoko's 4.2 Updater.

Will going from 4.1 to 4.2 affect my Hermes cIOS install that I did when installing mplayer_ce 0.75? If so, any special instructions?

4) Additional IOSes.

I heard Waninkoko's 4.2 updater only installs IOS70 (which SysMenu 4.2 runs off of), but I read elsewhere that 2 or 3 new IOSes are installed via the official Nintendo Update. Which are they? And is it recommended to install these new IOSes with Dop-IOS MOD?

5) StartPatch

I had StartPatch 4.1 installed for semi-brick protection. Do I need to uninstall this BEFORE doing any 4.2 updates? Or will going to 4.2 automatically remove them?

caffeinejunky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
kagamutora said:
Why would updating delete channels?

the update only deletes channels with the id "HAXX" and "DVDX" and the twilight patch. usbloader channels and others dont get deleted

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I should say this.
(Don't know if anyone mentioned this)
But people with unmodified Wii's are experiencing major problems with that update. I dunno, if it'll happen to people who safely updated their Wii (Modded).
IGN.com said:
Nintendo's latest Wii System Menu 4.2 update released earlier this week has caused quite a stir for many console owners.

The update was only intended to fend off piracy by disabling certain 'Homebrew' programs, or what Nintendo calls "unauthorized modifications." The update was not supposed to affect those with unmodified consoles. Here's what the official statement said:

"This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance."

"Because unauthorized modifications to save data or program files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will also check for and automatically remove such save data or program files."

Days later, however, Nintendo's forums have been flooded with users with unmodified Wiis experiencing issues after updating, such as freezing upon start-up, disc read errors, and even bricking the Wii entirely.
Nintendo says it's currently looking into the situation:

"Some of you have reported problems with your Wii console after updating to the Wii System Menu 4.2. The symptoms most people are describing usually occur when the Wii has been modified. However, some of you also mention your system has never been modified."

"We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Please call our Customer Service Department at your earliest convenience, 1-800-255-3700. We are open 6 AM to 7 PM, Pacific Time, 7 days a week."

Just whoa..

Proof: [url=http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1030354p1.html]http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1030354p1.html[/url]

Posts merged

I think I should say this.
(Don't know if anyone mentioned this)
But people with unmodified Wii's are experiencing major problems with that update. I dunno, if it'll happen to people who safely updated their Wii (Modded).
IGN.comNintendo's latest Wii System Menu 4.2 update released earlier this week has caused quite a stir for many console owners.

The update was only intended to fend off piracy by disabling certain 'Homebrew' programs, or what Nintendo calls "unauthorized modifications." The update was not supposed to affect those with unmodified consoles. Here's what the official statement said:

"This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance."

"Because unauthorized modifications to save data or program files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will also check for and automatically remove such save data or program files."

Days later, however, Nintendo's forums have been flooded with users with unmodified Wiis experiencing issues after updating, such as freezing upon start-up, disc read errors, and even bricking the Wii entirely.
Nintendo says it's currently looking into the situation:

"Some of you have reported problems with your Wii console after updating to the Wii System Menu 4.2. The symptoms most people are describing usually occur when the Wii has been modified. However, some of you also mention your system has never been modified."

"We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Please call our Customer Service Department at your earliest convenience, 1-800-255-3700. We are open 6 AM to 7 PM, Pacific Time, 7 days a week."

Just whoa..

Proof: [url=http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1030354p1.html]http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1030354p1.html[/url]

nightbreed813

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah some people are experiencing problems with the update because nintendo decided to update boot 2 to v4. The code for updating boot 2 was so bad that TT wrote their own code for writing to it. It has problems where if it encounters a write error it doesn't catch it. So basically it works for some people but others it fails and if it fails you have a bricked wii. Thanks nintendo i'll just stick to my updates throuh the scene.

Painguy

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
One quick question before i go updating to 4.2. Do i need to install hermes aswell in order to use USB loaders. I have an external HDD & from what ive heard this new update overwrites the previous hacked cIOS making external addons incompatable with the console.

warlock666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updater via WANINKOKO's 4.2 Firmware updater (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?eiimjiow52z)

it removed preloader and kept Homebrew Channel

reinstalled preloader which does not work on 4.2

how do i reinstall or replace the wii loader (get rid of preloader and have the wi animation back) and have a menu back

(how do I remove preloader)

what wad or iso do i need to install with out removing all hacked iso's

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warlock666 said:
Updater via WANINKOKO's 4.2 Firmware updater (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?eiimjiow52z)

Bad idea. It modifies all of your original IOSes, makes it so that you get "no vulnerable IOS found" in the hackmii installer, turns your HBC upside down in some cases, and overwrites your cMIOS (for GC backups). You have to fix a few things afterward if you use this updater.

warlock666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
warlock666 said:

Bad idea. It modifies all of your original IOSes, makes it so that you get "no vulnerable IOS found" in the hackmii installer, turns your HBC upside down in some cases, and overwrites your cMIOS (for GC backups). You have to fix a few things afterward if you use this updater.
so how do i remove preloader?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warlock666 said:
zektor said:
warlock666 said:

What happened when you reinstalled preloader? I thought that it didn't work at all in v4.2. I honestly do not know. I stay away from intrusive apps that attach themselves to the system menu. You can try nandclean....from what I hear it cleans preloader and the hacks.ini from the nand, but again, I have zero experience with it. Maybe somebody else can provide some input.

warlock666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isostar said:
warlock666 said:
zektor said:
warlock666 said:

1- Install the Systemmenu.wad for your Region
2- NandClean to delete the hacks.ini and and...

done
where do i get systemmenu.wad for 4.2e from

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
zektor said:
warlock666 said:

Wow really? That's lame.
unsure.gif

What do I get to just update the shop channel?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cuber said:
zektor said:
warlock666 said:

Wow really? That's lame.
unsure.gif

What do I get to just update the shop channel?

You just need to install the new IOS61 and the new Shopping Channel v17. You can get them both and pack them into wads using NUSD
smile.gif

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
juust tried to pack the shop channel and got

--- 00010002484142XX ---
Starting NUS Download. Please be patient!
Grabbing tmd.17...
Download Failed: tmd.17
- Reason: (401) Unauthorized.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would Waninkoko's updater modify the original IOS's? I thought it just took Nintendo's official ones and installed them.

You must be thinking of cIOSCORP.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Why would Waninkoko's updater modify the original IOS's? I thought it just took Nintendo's official ones and installed them.

You must be thinking of cIOSCORP.

It downloads and patches your IOSes. The hackmii installer cannot find one single "sane" IOS after this, so what it is doing is NOT a good thing.

nightking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im on version 3.3u and havent thought about updating the system. I also rarely use the wii. Its been in my closet for a while.

Im never going to update the wii in the future. Not even in 5-20 years in the future if it works that long heh.

DrFiishy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so i installed 4.2e....used bannerbomb and got HBC back...now the only problem im having is getting gecko and back up loader to work...what do i need to install for this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo