Gaming Wii disk died, buy a new one, fix or get a WiiU?

Which should I do?

• Buy WiiU

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Send it in to Nintendo (90 bucks lol)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Send it somewhere else for repair

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Repair it myself

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Buy new/used Wii

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

jimmery

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, just signed up here - my Wii disk drive just died and wont read disks anymore, so i was wondering what i should do.

I have a couple of options, fix it myself by getting a new lens, or a new disk drive, send it into Nintendo (i dont think they'll like what they find on it lol), sending it somewhere else to get repaired, buying a new/used wii, or getting a WiiU.

What do you think I should do? If i were to get a WiiU could i put HBC and stuff on it? Thanks for your help everyone!

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw on another forum a Wii disc drive for $15 shipped. I'd just grab a new one, and a screwdriver and replace it.

If you got a Wii U you could homebrew the Wii mode of it yeah.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes you could put HBC on Wii U. The question you have to ask is, do you want a Wii U right now? An used Wii or replacement drive is much cheaper than Wii U.

ld0y

Ld0y
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy a Wii U. It's my opinion but like I always say if your budget is not into a new console then just get a new disk drive I think they cost between $38 and $50 US dollars or get a Lents for $15.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try to repair it yourself, if you break it oh well. i can find wii's on craigslist for under 40 right now =/

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
dya know i cant recall the last time i used the disc slot :) muhhaha But then if your already aware of the HBC then i guess you really need to ask yourself ... do you actually need the disc drive :)

Reactions: air2004

jimmery

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it! Well I have a bunch of games I bought back in the day, thats when my laser saw the most use. I just popped in a game for the kicks and it didnt work lol. it just seems a bit of work to go find copies of all of them or back them up myself. I have cfg usb loader running on my wii, with homebrew and everything already on it.

I guess i could do a NAND backup then open up the wii and fiddle around, and if i bust it i can get a cheap Wii or a WiiU - I was thinking about waiting for a price break in the WiiU but worried they might patch something in the meantime.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it! Well I have a bunch of games I bought back in the day, thats when my laser saw the most use. I just popped in a game for the kicks and it didnt work lol. it just seems a bit of work to go find copies of all of them or back them up myself. I have cfg usb loader running on my wii, with homebrew and everything already on it.

I guess i could do a NAND backup then open up the wii and fiddle around, and if i bust it i can get a cheap Wii or a WiiU - I was thinking about waiting for a price break in the WiiU but worried they might patch something in the meantime.
Honestly just replace the drive.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As your wii is hacked, sending it to nintendo would be a stupid move. They'll just send it back without repairing. Or "give" you a new wii while putting on a hefty charge. That's the disadvantage of softmodding: ninty won't touch it.

Personally, I don't really see what the problem is. It could very well be that my wii drive is broken for over a year...it's that long since I used it. All the loading was through USB. So...I've got to tell you that owning the physical copy doesn't make downloading a rom from the internet legal...but that's what I would do.

If you have to ask whether to buy a wiiu, then I'd say you don't really want one. Just because it can play everything the wii can isn't enough to warrant the extra cost. At least take a good look through the wiiu game section (both released and expected) and think how much you want those.

Leaving two options: repair it yourself or get a 'new' (second hand) one. I'd go for the last one (that's what I voted for), but that's mainly because of having a spare wii (remember: your first one isn't broken). That little console plays pretty much any retro game flawlessly, so it has some value to me. :)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My opinion - stick to USB loading. It costs you nothing.
From the little I remember about fixing Wii drives, it's not difficult and not too expensive, so there's always that option.
If you just want to leave your Wii behind, then I would get a WiiU over a replacement Wii. It has everything Wii has (except, you know, GC compatibility) and a few good games too so far (MH3U, NintendoLand, the Mario series, etc).

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely stick with USB loading. It's more convenient, the loading times are better, and you can run mods with it :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@