OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
denzil said:
nitrotux said:
Source code is fully included, you can add features yourself if you want (...)
As for background information about the IOS, simple answer: no
smile.gif
So you expect people "adding features if they want" to guess the effects of your IOS modification(s)?
wink.gif

You don't need to know how the IOS stuff works.

You only want to read data from the disc from any given offset, which the sourcecode tells you how to do.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Sorry to say that but you act like if you didn't know how your own dumper was working.

I'm not talking about the IOS stuff - who cares - but about the fact you don't want to add features, it's a shame as the developper of a long-awaited tool.

jimjim9001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i am suprised that you did not add usb support.....this has the potential to be a great tool if you did updates.....

thanks anyway

Forest0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well first thanks for making this, but why wouldn't you update it.. I mean it's a big step you've taken in "homebrew?" and now just after releasing it you aren't even going to work on it? second, for someone who has coded something like this and going to drop it are you even going to try coding anything else or dropping wii hacking all together.

josh41091

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.prizerebel.com
XP
Country
Thanks nitrotux, great release, could see a great future in this piece of homebrew, but just for starts, is it a little slow or is it me? because using the normal gamecube version of the disc dumper (dvd2sd.dol) it ran at about 1.4-1.5mbps so a 1.5 chunk would be done in bout 17 mins through SD Gecko, this is taking MUCH longer through front slot (not completely sure of stats, shall reply after first chunk of galaxy on my wii is done
biggrin.gif
)... possibly something to be improved in further versions?

But otherwise, great addition to the homebrew scene thanks nitrotux

(And lol at the "fuck to" teq lol)

Edit1: Initial statistics are that it took 18 min 12 secs to dump 10% of the 1st chunk, so theoretically thats 3 hours and 3 mins for the whole of the 1.5gb chunk, thats 9 hours 9 mins for the full disc working out to around 0.141mbps... am I doing something wrong here nitrotux? Should it be faster than that???

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could certainly use some work. The old DVD dumper (using a Gecko) completes an entire Wii ISO within 30 seconds of 60 minutes and about 20 for a GCN game. It also has smart dumping for people with smaller SD cards.

And while I support the concept of people not demanding features and if they really require it so badly they should be the ones putting their effort into it, you have something potentially phenomenal on your hands. Add some of the feature people mentioned and make it faster and this would be one of the most useful releases for the Wii ever.

harrybuttox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well really there isn't a rush for Dual-Layer unless you guys really want to back up Brawl...Which im 95% certain either all you guys have downloaded it already, or bought it *which it should get the credit*

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting to see something like this released. Too bad it requires the IOS5 WAD installation. I'm assuming that IOS has been modified, so Nintendo could implement a check and remove on it in future firmwares.
frown.gif

The one feature absolutely needed is to lose the exact sized 3 dumps and just have it run until the SD is full. Not everbody has a 2GB SD laying around
tongue.gif

EDIT: At least the source is included. Seems easy enough for me to understand, this is the part that needs to be modified for smaller disc dumps...

QUOTE said:
if (part == 0)
{
offset = 0;
size = 1500 * 1024 * 1024;
}
else if (part == 1)
{
offset = 0x17700000;
size = 1500 * 1024 * 1024;
}
else if (part == 2)
{
offset = 0x2EE00000;
size = 1554251776;
}

The size (1500 * 1024 * 1024) is 1572864000, or 1.5GB. If it is decreased, and more parts "else if"s added, it could be made to write to say a 1GB SD. The only part I don't really get is the whole offset thing.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
^ It would be pretty easy to let the user set it before dumping, if doing size checks isn't available.

I am shocked by you posters giving nitrotux crap about this. This is a great tool, and a nice piece of progress for the real scene. Anyone can pick it up and add stuff if they want, he doesn't "have" to add anything if he wants.

Shame on you guys. Great work nitrotux~

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
It would be pretty easy to let the user set it before dumping, if doing size checks isn't available.

How exactly? With a key input in the program? I agree that would be better, while the ultimate solution being a "write until full" method. The easiest way I can think to make this work [for me] would be modifying the sizes directly to suit a 1GB card, but that would be only help those with 1GB, what about 512, etc. I hope someone picks up the code and properly adds universal size checking.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
Ah ah, epic fail for teq
tongue.gif

Uh, not quite.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate nitrotux. He's accomplished an amazing feat. It's not every day that you come across someone who works so hard. After all, not everyone can archive someone else's work, throw in a nice little readme that just gushes with immaturity, and upload it to RapidShare.

I had my doubts -- not that a DVD dumper would ever exist, but rather, that nitrotux would ever produce anything of merit that wasn't first stolen. I'm not knocking the fact that you used Jeff Epler's Wii DVD API. Developers borrow libraries all the time and since it's under GNU, you have complete support from the author.

It is clear, however, that you stole the IOS from #WiiDev. I know this, because I probably know more about it than you do, and you're the one that supposedly wrote it. According to the API you used for the majority of your "work", WDVD_LowUnencryptedRead is limited to the first 2GB of the DVD. I presume you were aware of this, hence the need to modify the call in IOS to point to your code and not a static number.

Now, my only question would be how a person who doesn't even know how a drivechip functions was able to modify the IOS all on his own.

nitrotux said:
You first have to understand how Wii/GOD discs are encoded.

Both standard DVD-ROM's and Wii/GOD discs use sectors of 2064 bytes, but they are encoded differently.

A standard DVD-ROM's sector looks like this:
| ID | IED | CPR_MAI | User Data Frame | EDC |

and a Wii/GOD disc looks like this:
| ID | IED | User Data Frame | wii/goddata | EDC |

When you burn a Wii ISO, you're burning it with standard DVD-ROM encoding; Which the Wii does not understand.

What a modchip does is "translate" a sector from DVD-ROM to Wii/GOD encoding.

denzil said:
(nitrotux @ Jun 26 2008, 10:50 PM)
What a modchip does is "translate" a sector from DVD-ROM to Wii/GOD encoding.

Consult the source code of any open-sourced modchip (I recommend the early YAOSM versions, they are quite easy to read) and you will see: A modchip does no such thing. It sets a few registers to make the Wii think it's a legit disk, and the correct type thereof, and that's about it. The drivechip's serial interface wouldn't even be fast enough to do translate full data, which means the early 5-solder point modchips would never have worked according to your theory.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
I don't like that but I have to agree with you teq, it looks like Nitrotux doesn't really know how his own tool works. It shocked me when he said he won't release another version of the tool.

If I'm right, you owe me an apology.

As far as the tool is concerned, I still have my doubts of it producing usable dumps. If someone tests it and makes a successful ISO from it, I might see about extending it to include some of the requests people have made.

But, that offer will only stand if one of two requests I have are granted:

1) Nitrotux admits he took credit for someone else's work.
2) Nitrotux pulls the files and uploads a version without the offensive Readme.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I installed the ios.wad and while this is cool and all, is far slower than other methods that I have available. Should I be concerned that I can't remove the ios.wad? If I understand it correctly, it's overwriting one of the IOS to let it read past the 2GB limit of a disc while dumping to the SD?? Is there anyway to get the "original" one back without updating as I don't want 3.3U yet?

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is no original IOSv5: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History

But I cannot believe how quick some of you install a patched IOS version on your console.
I personly will not touch this WAD file until nitrotux says what original IOS version was used
what he did patch. (I'm too lazy to extract all IOS from the WADs and compare them...)

Only with these known changes the project is open source because currently it only distributes
copyrighted code from Nintendo.
So in essence the link should be removed...

BTW the unencrypted read limit is much less than 2GB. If it was don't you think it would have been
used in emulators yet?

Edit to ProdigySlim
wink.gif
: If the limit is in bytes, it is 320KB. Not even enough space for one SNES games...

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IOS5 is a patched IOS21 I'm told.

And for anyone paranoid out there:

You cannot delete installed IOS!

That is, ES_Delete() will fail for them. This includes the "Wad uninstaller" and whatnot. So good luck. Maybe someone else will write a hacked IOS that can delete them, though
tongue.gif

Edit: Oh, and while I'm sure Nitrotux didn't do this himself, nobody from #wiidev would have made him a hacked IOS. Maybe Waninkoko. Note that the Wii DVD API is also stolen (although with licenses) from a guy who just wrote it as a harmless project.

Edit2: And yeah, the disc read limit is normally much much less than 2GB. http://wiibrew.org/wiki//dev/di

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: