Hardware Who's gonna miss the XMB?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't already noticed, the PSVita is going to do away with the XMB (XrossMediaBar) from the PSP and PS3 and go with a bubbled format called "LiveArea".

I appreciate change, but the LiveArea looks like it'll need work. We've seen pictures of the actual product, so I don't think there will be much change. It doesn't seem as nice as the XMB, IMO.

What are your guy's and gal's opinions?

EDIT: Fixed the god-awful grammar.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyBoy said:
It will probably go through changes as it's being developed still.
Yeah, but the things that they might change probably still won't fix the problem for me.

It just seems... Too cluttered and disorganized. Like they might just have random games you have installed float around the screen. I wish I could explore it for myself.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I keep looking at those round icons and thinking something is off with them, but i have no idea what
unsure.gif
(maybe i'm just used to the more 'square-ish' icons in windows, ios etc)

I've always been fine with the XMB, but i can see how it could need changing with the touchscreen interface and how it seems likely you'll have lots of games and maybe apps installed on the device (much better to have a full screen of icons than an endless list to scroll though)

Either way 99% of the time you're not looking at the menu, you're playing a game so it certainly wouldn't change whether or not i buy the console.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jamesaa said:
I keep looking at those round icons and thinking something is off with them, but i have no idea what
unsure.gif

I've always been fine with the XMB, but i can see how it could need changing with the touchscreen interface and how it seems likely you'll have lots of games and maybe apps installed on the device (much better to have a full screen of icons than an endless list to scroll though)

Either way 99% of the time you're not looking at the menu, you're playing a game so it certainly wouldn't change whether or not i buy the console.
YES. THIS is what I was trying to elaborate. It just feels off.

And yeah, I probably won't be navigating the menu for more then 5 seconds. The menu isn't gonna push me away from the PSVita (in fact, I already pre-ordered it).

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
KirbyBoy said:
It will probably go through changes as it's being developed still.
Yeah, but the things that they might change probably still won't fix the problem for me.

It just seems... Too cluttered and disorganized. Like they might just have random games you have installed float around the screen. I wish I could explore it for myself.
If they did do that they'd probably let you move them around or maybe have different menus for games and etc.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyBoy said:
If they did do that they'd probably let you move them around or maybe have different menus for games and etc.
There could be, but from the pictures given, it has the PS Store next to two games, and then Near services, and then god knows what else. It just bothers my OCD.
tongue.gif

I hope you're right.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, it's still in development, we won't know what the full menu is like until we get to see the final product for ourselves.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Slyakin said:
jamesaa said:
unsure.gif

YES. THIS is what I was trying to elaborate. It just feels off.

And yeah, I probably won't be navigating the menu for more then 5 seconds. The menu isn't gonna push me away from the PSVita (in fact, I already pre-ordered it).
I know why: because they're roundish, you have a lot of free space on the screen.

The important part is that it's functional too. The design... it can change with the time and firmware updates.

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure that Sony will at least make it a bit customizable. I do like the XMB, but there are times that I don't really enjoy scrolling from side to side and from top to bottom just to access some of my goodies, whether it be on PSP or PS3. The touch screen will probably make navigation a little nicer. I do agree, however, that the way the buttons/icons are laid out on the interface is a little awkward.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i want the menu of the xmb. where i can properly see stuff organized n submenus. live area looks cluttered for me. and i don't like the way menus show up. idk what to call it...bouncy? bubbly?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I really like XMB. but I also believe Sony can perfect the LiveArea OS as well as XMB, or even better. I am confident.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Just for fun, the PSX (actual Japanese Sony machine, not the PS1) was apparently the first to implement the XMB. It was adopted to the PSP, and later, the PS3.

I'm hoping the Live Area thing helps to load from the memory more quickly for the stuff you actually want to see. I hate waiting on the PSP to access the memory card for each section when I first turn on my PSP.

D

Deleted_171835

I dunno, the XMB is really nice but the LiveArea looks like it's easier to navigate through. I do hope they allow you to customize the menu, though. The placement of the icons also bother me.

I'll reserve judgment until I get the Vita, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==