Gaming What games show off the full potential of the Gamepad ? or could show off ...

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really like it for off screen gameplay.
That is what it was designed for.
But ...
For $150 (cost of a game pad) I could get this:

Seiki 32" 720p LED TV

- 3 x HDMI Input, 1 x VGA Input,

1 x USB Input, 16:9 Aspect Ratio,

60Hz Refresh Ratio - SE32HY10

A Wii U that supported two TVs .... now that is gaming North American style !

I'd love to play Mario Kart where my son and I have one TV each.

A Wii U that supports two TVs >>>> A controller with a screen.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off TV play.
that *is* its full potential.
I hope sonic boom utilizes it.
apparently nsmb, new super Luigi, 3d world, lost world, and segasonic transformed all are off TV compatible.
and call of duty.
is wiiu a good system or what!

edit: sorry, but I must indulge, because I am considering getting wiiu but am not sure.
assassins creed 3
batman arkham city and arkham orgins
not one but two cod games, ghosts and blops 2
dues ex
monster hunter
need for speed most wanted

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is still in it's early days, and Nintendo is a little late out the door with software releases, and most 3rd party developers lack faith that their software is unique enough to help sell the hardware, so they pulled out, some even within the first few months of the Wii U's U.S. release... but then again, that's the the American/Euro market for you.

Anyhow, my point, as with any console, it will take till about the 3rd and 4th wave of games to hit before any of these new systems will show off their full potential, though in the mean time, I HIGHLY suggest Deus Ex, Rayman, and of course UnEpic. Each show of some of the gamepad's lure in their own way, though of course there are others, such as Nintendo Land for crying out loud. How come no one ever mentions NintendoLand?!?! :)

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool idea.
If you used it as a rear view mirror .... where / how are you going to prop it up ? On a music stand ?
On my lap ... I'd neck neck pain looking down on it.
Beside the TV ... it'd be too small.
Get a friend to hold it up ?

you hold it in your hands, if you want to look behind you during the race, you glance down then look back at the tv when done...no different to most racing games where you hold down a button to look behind you and release it to look ahead

Reactions: T Link7

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So what is so good ? The Bug Out Bag ? Anything else ?

As hinted in yesterday's reveal, Ubisoft unveils ZombiU, the Wii U Gamepad will function as an interactive “Bug Out Bag”, allowing players to swap items on the fly and make short work of their undead pursuers. More than that, however, it will also double as a hacking tool, zombie-basher, environment scanner, sniper scope, and security camera hub. For added kicks, Ubisoft's even thrown in a “zombifcation” feature that uses the controller's camera to morph real people into hideous, bloodthirsty monsters. That's assuming they weren't already hideous, bloodthirsty monsters; in which case you should choose your company more wisely.​
The good thing about it is that you can't look at both screens at once, yet you sort of need to on a constant basis. Most horror games sort of let monsters break through walls or materialize out of nothing into your six o'clock, which is...sort of unfair if you think about it. Zombiu is more realistic than any of those games as it makes you vulnerable pretty much every time you use the gamepad. And it's used often throughout the game: scanning things, putting up or breaking down barriers, entering codes, the map, inventory management, you name it. Pretty soon in the game, the thing also acts as a radar that bleeps over movement (zombies, but also crows, rats and other harmless things). This alone makes zombiu feel more like that scène from Alien than any Alien game thus far. And though it sounds pretty convenient to know where zombies are (and their AI is, as in any zombie game, pretty linear), surprises happen more than you think.

I've heard reviews criticizing that this doesn't justify the second screen (I'm looking at you, Yahtzee), but I simply disagree with that. The game is made especially with the use of the gamepad in mind, and it succeeds in that perfectly. It was all I hoped the game would be and not only succeeds in that but exceeded well of what I thought it would be. While I can understand others saying that it doesn't add much to the game or that it is used "because it's there", but in zombiu, that is ABSOLUTELY not the case. I'm honestly baffled that ubisoft didn't make the money they put into the game, as it demonstrates perfectly what potential this thing has. I fear the image of nintendo being "just for kids" is at fault there (a friend of mine was really curious about zombiu, but while I absolutely praised it, I had to admit that if you aren't into platformers or nintendo brands, you pretty much had to buy the console just for that one game).

it could be used as a rear view mirror......
Sorry, but but osirisjem is right on this one. Sonic racing has both these features (map or a rearview mirror), but I never used it. Perhaps this is better in Mario kart as it's not so bloody FAST (I compared Sonic racing to F-Zero GX for a good reason), but I seriously doubt it.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you hold it in your hands, if you want to look behind you during the race, you glance down then look back at the tv when done...no different to most racing games where you hold down a button to look behind you and release it to look ahead
in many handheld racers, face button is gas so you have only l and r buttons to do stuff. and one is boost and the other is handbrake, power slide, or use weapon.
in wipeout for PSP, triangle was look back, but if x is gas then this is stupid.

granted wiiu has four shoulder buttons so it shouldn't be a problem.
key word: shouldn't.
ppl gotta think about these things.

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Full potential of the gamepad? For me that is playing games on the gamepad itself. I even brought my Wii-U to school once because we had a lot of free hours that day. Plugged the Wii-U in, and just started playing.

Everyone adored me from that moment on. They started treating me like the 'bawz' of the school and they all wanted to play on the Wii-U too.
In my dreams:cry:

I really did bring it to school though.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what it was designed for.
But ...
For $150 (cost of a game pad) I could get this:

Seiki 32" 720p LED TV

- 3 x HDMI Input, 1 x VGA Input,

1 x USB Input, 16:9 Aspect Ratio,

60Hz Refresh Ratio - SE32HY10

A Wii U that supported two TVs .... now that is gaming North American style !

I'd love to play Mario Kart where my son and I have one TV each.

A Wii U that supports two TVs >>>> A controller with a screen.

where are you going to put that TV?
not to mention you need two power cables and two HDMI cables running out of the system.
5 cables in all.

or, you could have a controller with a screen.
so now you and I can play with our own screen, with only one TV.

and if gamepad is 150 dollars, well you still need a controller which is 50 dollars.
so the net amount is 100 not 150
your TV is 50 dollars overpriced. :P

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Cool.
How about this:
You turn to your left to look in the "Full screen" rear view mirror, or you turn to your right to look in the "Full screen" rear view mirror. Turning all the way backwards might be awkward during gameplay.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://recode.net/2014/02/03/why-nintendo-wont-give-up-on-the-wii-us-gamepad/

This article talks about the idea behind the gamepad.

It's says the main idea was that shared tv screens had made handheld gaming more popular in japan. The gamepad is essentially an attempt to make the console as appealing as a handheld. Off tv play is the #1 feature and main purpose if the gamepad.

Zombi U and Lego city undercover use it in interesting ways. You either like them or hate them, I enjoy them somewhat but don't like that these features kill off tv play. I would play these games more if they supported off tv play.

It's secondary application is as an inventory/map screen. Most games do this like wind waker and still support off tv play.

The third case are games that are all about the 2 screen experience. These are the games designed to sell the concept. These are mainly Nintendoland game and Wario and wii party u.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right beside the other TV.
Mario Kart with two full screen TVs = WIN :)
So rather than including a screen on the controller, Nintendo should expect kids to just ask their parents for a 2nd TV.

great business strategy there..

"the Wii U... out now!! the system for people who own two TVs in the same room! What do you mean you don't?"(TM)

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And just what is the full potential of the Gamepad? Is it like the lower screen on the 3DS? But then you've got to consider that the lower screen is connected to the top one: the tablet, not so much. I mean, if you're going to have the weapon selection on the tablet, at least give us a display on the television on where we socketed them. I find it hard to look at the tablet and the television simultaneously.

Back on topic: the Mario games, Lego City, Zombi U. I'll add Planes to this list; it's based on the Disney/Pixar movie. I think you can use the stylus on the touchscreen, or you can use the joystick/buttons to play it. I like not being restricted to one type of control layout, especially when it comes to the modern Nintendo devices.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
People say the Wii U will do well ... "as soon as Nintendo releases the full potential of the Gamepad".
I can't see that happening.
While on that topic .. What game(s) do a good job of the Game pad thus far ?

Who cares.... If the game is crap I don't care how the gamepad is being used. This is my issue with the new consoles just because it has better graphics doesn't instantly make everything better. Ryse is a prime example of this amazing looking game yet crappy story and gameplay. Even Knack is a victim of this looks great (in some areas) but the whole game feels empty.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Arkham Asylum was pretty amazing on the Wii U, I played it at a friend's house. The use of the gamepad+screen was brilliant, even playing the game on a CRT TV.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
A Fallout game would have awesome pip boy functionality on the WiiU. Unfortunately I can't imagine the WiiU having enough processing power or graphics ability to run the inevitable Fallout 4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.