Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonky685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: sounds like this was the result of screwy international payment systems rather than fraud, ignore this post. Thanks to everyone that helped explain.

Saturday evening, I attempted to purchase an r4 Gold from nds-card since it's recommended around here. I put the item in my cart and went to check out. I finished putting my info in, and got to an order confirmation screen showing my order number, total due, and a couple different ways to pay. I clicked on the option to pay by card, and was taken to another screen with my order number on it asking for my card info. I entered my info, and got a message saying "payment declined".

IMMEDIATELY after this, I got a fraud alert from my bank that someone tried to make a purchase of with my card in China for a totally different amount that my order total. Fortunately my bank suspended my card and the purchase didn't go through.

So uh..... Did I fuck up big time somehow, or is the "trusted retailer" around here a scammer?

Last edited by Wonky685,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saturday evening, I attempted to purchase an r4 Gold from nds-card since it's recommended around here. I put the item in my cart and went to check out. I finished putting my info in, and got to an order confirmation screen showing my order number, total due, and a couple different ways to pay. I clicked on the option to pay by card, and was taken to another screen with my order number on it asking for my card info. I entered my info, and got a message saying "payment declined".

IMMEDIATELY after this, I got a fraud alert from my bank that someone tried to make a purchase of with my card in China for a totally different amount that my order total. Fortunately my bank suspended my card and the purchase didn't go through.

So uh..... Did I fuck up big time somehow, or is the "trusted retailer" around here a scammer?
Nope that's just what happens on a lot Chinese sites my bank flags fraud all the time so I use paypal

Reactions: Unia4L

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is simple your card doesn't work international, you get fraud prevention when the card is attempted to be used in a foreign country, like what Shadow said use paypal.

Wonky685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope that's just what happens on a lot Chinese sites my bank flags fraud all the time so I use paypal

My bank is sometimes overzealous in their fraud protection (not a bad thing), but the alert was for a totally different amount ($13.48 vs $11.99, which was my total in USD) it had a different website listed too. Lots of red flags to me.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bank is sometimes overzealous in their fraud protection (not a bad thing), but the alert was for a totally different amount ($13.48 vs $11.99, which was my total in USD) it had a different website listed too. Lots of red flags to me.
It has to have a different site that's another trick to fool the bank like one time I was directed to a different site to buy a bulb and screws and got my flashcart as I was suppose too

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't forget the foreign exchange ratio, there is a subcharge of currency exchange usually.

Wonky685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has to have a different site that's another trick to fool the bank like one time I was directed to a different site to buy a bulb and screws and got my flashcart as I was suppose too

The payment screen was still on nds-card. There wasn't any option for me to use PayPal or else I would have. I'm still confused about the difference in price for the charge vs my actual total. Maybe is from converting the currency?

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The payment screen was still on nds-card. There wasn't any option for me to use PayPal or else I would have. I'm still confused about the difference in price for the charge vs my actual total. Maybe is from converting the currency?
That's because I have a PayPal biz debit card [emoji14]

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah there is sometimes exchange rates added on top by your payment provider, so while the site might be charging £10, you might actually be charged £11.50 and as for the company name being different, often flashcard sites will set up a whole bunch of accounts and just keep cycling through them as their previous one gets suspended or put on held etc.

but its always a good idea to try use pre-paid cards for purchases from less than reputable sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...