Homebrew Video Games Hero

LFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What? THREE Monkey Island songs?
Your are my god. (Though the first one sounds a bit iffy)
Oh,and is there a way to make your own levels?

t4ils

Trophies
Website
www.t4ils.com
XP
Country
France
you made a wonderful job on this one sumi
smile.gif

congrats ^^

P

pasc

t4ils said:
Now I'm wondering if I'll present StillAliveDS this month
unsure.gif
Sure ! Do it ! It is worth it, the changes you made make it fun, your stillalive should make quite some competition for this.

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I posted this in the other thread:

This game is pretty damn good, however I have noticed some bugs/flaws.

-(Flaw) Some of the song names are wrong, such as "Ocarinina", "Flinstones", etc.

-(Flaw) It doesn't sleep the DS when closed.

-(Glitch) The edges between the buttons can sometimes register the wrong note.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Add option to replay from pause menu.

-(Glitch) When submitting a score and a network cannot be connected to, it will just freeze, forcing you to restart.

-(Glitch) Rather than having the notes "connect" to the "grid" as they are coming down, they just float over it, creating a small graphical inconsistency that just looks a little weird.

-(Flaw) When the "Streak Bonus" thing comes up, it obscures the view of the notes coming down. This could be rectified by making it translucent.

-(Flaw) Once you have selected a song (but haven't started yet) you cannot go back to the song selection screen.

-(Flaw) If you quit a song, it shows the screen as if you were done. It should just go to the screen where you can select continue, retry, etc.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) It has no hold-notes
frown.gif

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Editor.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) When you miss a note, it should be grayed out instead of red. (From GameDragon) I concur.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Only video game tracks. It's fine, but would be nice to have real music as well. What happened to "Eye of the Tiger" and "Inspector Gadget"? (they may yet be in the game, I am still playing it). I know this can lead to legal issues. Maybe "someone" could compile some tracks in the correct format and put them on a fileshare site.
DISREGARD I found them. Set 7 they begin.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Lyrics pl0x.

-(Flaw) some tracks are much louder/much quieter than others.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) When you miss a note, there should be a sound effect of some kind.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) The note/area where you hit the note graphics seem a little weak to me. They play just fine, but I think they would look better if they were slightly 3D rather then just sticks.

-(Glitch) some songs show time as 0m00s

Also it occurred to me: with a graphical update and maybe a few changes, a DDR-style game could be made very easily. It would be the same core game, with the music and stuff, but since there are no hold-notes, an arrow-mode or seperate game all together could be made. That would be very cool.

Overall though, this is one of the most polished homebrew games I have ever seen, and it is very fun to play.

pilotwangs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It doesn't have a sleep mode because of a feature in the bonus section where you use the L&R buttons to play,and "Eye of the Tiger" and "Inspector Gadget" are in it.

Loving this game,I can't stop playing.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone post some videos of the guitar grip in action with this game? i'm kind of interested in how sumiguchi tried to break up the origional 5 notes with the guitar grips 4.

sumiguchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow Praetor192 - First off - thank you very much for the detailed rundown of what you think could be better!! I'll keep these in mind for any updates/new releases.
smile.gif

A couple comments though:
This is by design. I play on the train and when I get to my stop, I skip back to the menu, close the lid, and put the ds in my pocket so I can keep listening while walk the rest of the way. Closing the lid DOES pause the game when you are playing... (and visa versa for "Audiophile" mode)
-(Glitch) The edges between the buttons can sometimes register the wrong note.
Hmm well I think there is some varience in each ds touch screen. The pixels on the image and the hit boxes line up. It was suggested by a beta tester that I overlap the hit boxes, but I didn't like the idea... maybe I should reconsider
wink.gif

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) When you miss a note, there should be a sound effect of some kind.
There is a sound effect when you miss a note. It is low frequency (almost like a kick drum), and using the DS speakers can be hard to hear - but can be detected on most songs if you turn up the sfx volume in the options menu. I use headphones and its easy to hear at the default sfx volume for most songs. I tested several sounds before I settled on this one. This sound is played when you tap incorrectly and when a note is missed. In the case of a note being missed, the audio for the track you are playing is also stopped. I figured this would be enough indication that you missed - but if you have some examples of sound effects that you think might be more appropriate - please let me know!
-(Glitch) some songs show time as 0m00s
whoops
blink.gif
I wrote it down...and i see I didn't scratch it off my to do list
frown.gif

Thanks again for the feedback and the compliment!
grog.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
>_> I think I should tell wazmo FretFury can wait until next month. Wow, that's all, wow.

Is there anyway to get this working on an emulator so I can try it before my cart comes in. It's great, I've been waiting. But I still, I can't get it to work.
unsure.gif
But it's prolly just my cart. For certain songs it gives me missing pa1 like metriod, others like Ocarina of Time give me pad2. :S

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You are very welcome for the list of things, I am very grateful that you made this! This is my favorite homebrew for the DS. Anyway I am zipping through this game, it is so addictive
smile.gif
I'm on set 11.

I just realized there are 2 more features that would be good, a timer of the song counting down as you play, and downloadable songs. If all the issues/features are fixed, this will be better than all other homebrew, and most commercial games. I simply love this and its great to see that you are looking at feedback to improve it. Good luck with this
tongue.gif

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sumiguchi said:
This is by design. I play on the train and when I get to my stop, I skip back to the menu, close the lid, and put the ds in my pocket so I can keep listening while walk the rest of the way. Closing the lid DOES pause the game when you are playing... (and visa versa for "Audiophile" mode)At the least, the backlight for the screen should be turned off while the DS is closed.

QUOTE(sumiguchi @ Aug 21 2008, 01:25 PM) -(Personal Preference/Feature Request) When you miss a note, there should be a sound effect of some kind.
There is a sound effect when you miss a note. It is low frequency (almost like a kick drum), and using the DS speakers can be hard to hear - but can be detected on most songs if you turn up the sfx volume in the options menu. I use headphones and its easy to hear at the default sfx volume for most songs. I tested several sounds before I settled on this one. This sound is played when you tap incorrectly and when a note is missed. In the case of a note being missed, the audio for the track you are playing is also stopped. I figured this would be enough indication that you missed - but if you have some examples of sound effects that you think might be more appropriate - please let me know!
I can hear it but barely. Even after turning the SFX Volume to max. I think it should be a more significant sound FX.

joel123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i need help every time i load up a song and start it the screen goes black can someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pilotwangs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
joel123 said:
i need help every time i load up a song and start it the screen goes black can someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What card are you using?
Have you DLDI patched?
Have you put the vgh folder in the root of your card?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU