"TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist" for the SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive gets a brand new DX romhack with new features

2249titlescreen.png

The romhacking community is always a source for new ways to play retro games, from completely new levels or stages, characters, quality of life improvements, to flat out entirely new games based on the original game's engine.

Romhacker BillyTime!Games is one such person to give older games a great amount of quality of life additions and new features to completely revitalize the original games, with one such example being his Ghostbusters: Special Edition project, which is a romhack for the original Ghostbusters game released for the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, and adds new playable characters and modes.

Similar to his Ghostbusters project, Billy has worked on another beloved titles from the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive catalogue, with his latest romhack being for the exclusive beat-em up game based on the TMNT franchise, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist DX".

This brand-new romhack adds a surplus of new features, like an extra difficulty setting, difficulty randomizer, survival mode, alternate Turtle colours and SRAM score saving.

The full list of new features that this romhack features is the following:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist DX changelog said:
This patch adds several addition features to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist for Sega Genesis.
Features:
  • Super Difficulty (Selected within the options menu.)
  • Difficulty Randomizer (Selected within the options menu.)
  • Survival Mode (Hold B when selecting One or Two players, continue to hold until the character select screen appears.)
  • Classic Mirage Comics colors (Selected within the options menu.)
Hi-Score SRAM
  • Saving:
Scores save after Game Over and player returns to the sega logo.
  • Loading:
Scores load upon boot. If checksum fails or it is your first time booting, default scores are loaded.
Further details and patching instructions can be found in the readme.

Those interesting in trying out this romhack, remember to use your own dumped ROM image of the original "TMNT: Hyperstone Heist" game for the Genesis / Mega Drive, and patch in the IPS file of the romhack into your ROM file to be able to play it.

:arrow: BillyTime!Games profile on X
:arrow: TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist DX at Romhacking.net
:arrow: TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist DX at Romhacks.org

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Huh, that reminded me that Sonic Lost World had a run button rather than Sonic just running by himself.

Speaking of which, SLW was a good game, just misunderstood.

/ot
I'd rather have seen Sonic X-Treme being finished which had a similar concept, than this game but that's just me.

Also its more than a decade since I played this TMNT game. I enjoyed it more than turtles IV turtles in time. I actually don't like the snes game that much, its bit too unbalanced for my taste honestly.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm hoping for a restoration of the turtles in time assets. this game has a less fun ending/credits sequence, and the music is slightly off.

Then just play Turtles in time? The music is off because they didn't take the time to make it for the Sega Genesis. Is not like the Super Nintendo has a specially good sound chip.

Last edited by raxadian,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will you quit mocking me and my signature once and for all?
If I can deal with your fiercely-emblazoned opinion every time you make a post, you can probably stand to have someone call you out on it – what, twice now?

If that's such an unthinkable burden, perhaps you should reconsider whether your sig is still an accurate reflection of your feelings? (Perhaps it has escaped your notice that no one else has a big sig advertising how much they hate something?) Or you can always make use of the board's Ignore function.

Clipboard01.png

No one really needs to mock this; this is self-parody.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If I can deal with your fiercely-emblazoned opinion every time you make a post, you can probably stand to have someone call you out on it – what, twice now?

If that's such an unthinkable burden, perhaps you should reconsider whether your sig is still an accurate reflection of your feelings? (Perhaps it has escaped your notice that no one else has a big sig advertising how much they hate something?) Or you can always make use of the board's Ignore function.

View attachment 429099
No one really needs to mock this; this is self-parody.
It is my meaning of life. That site shouldn't even exist.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is my meaning of life. That site shouldn't even exist.
And then you come into this thread with a post that suggests not only that you still read it, but you regard it as a more up-to-date source of news than this site. Meaning of life, sure, whatever.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And then you come into this thread with a post that suggests not only that you still read it, but you regard it as a more up-to-date source of news than this site. Meaning of life, sure, whatever.
You're better off stopping replying to what I post then.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Streets of Rage 2 rom hack called "Shredder's Re-Revenge" is still my way to go for the ultimate Turtles experience on the Mega Drive but I'm glad the "actual official Turtles game" got a nice treatment as well. :)

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got around to testing out this Hyperstone Heist DX romhack and to my suprise it plays really well. It's not better than Turtles in Time IMHO, but it's a damn good effort.
GO28jmf.png

TLDPqqo.png

mSIUuTV.png

ewkOlVI.png

ok8hwGC.png

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I always found hyperstone heistto be more of a better sequel to TMNT II on the NES than anything else if I may be honest.

Subzero100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the worst tmnt game ever made, and its not even original. All they did is take everything from the snes version, and make it worse. All the bosses are the same character with different colors....smh

• Angry
Reactions: cvskid and Xdqwerty

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
This is the worst tmnt game ever made, and its not even original. All they did is take everything from the snes version, and make it worse. All the bosses are the same character with different colors....smh
The original is the arcade version, not the snes version and its not true, this has completely new stages and enemies. Its practically a different game, just only a couple of locations might be reused/revisited but there's always a different twist to it iirc.

And it has those japanese themed stages similar to the bonus stages of TMNT II the arcade game.

DaSkanker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This brand-new romhack adds a surplus of new features, like an extra difficulty setting, difficulty randomizer, survival mode, alternate Turtle colours and SRAM score saving.
Thanks for sharing. I'm loving this hack especically the survival mode part of it. I can see me dipping in and out of this many times to see just how many footsoldiers i can take out with just the one life
Always great to play a classic in a diffent way.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs. +1