"Final Fight" gets a fanmade homebrew port for the SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive

Fanmade games are always a delight to see, be it original or altogether recreated games made from scratch, and this case, a beloved arcade and SNES classic got such treatment.

The original "Final Fight" is a "beat 'em up" game originally released for the arcades back in 1989 with the option to play with two players, and then later ported over to other consoles, such as the SNES, Sega CD and the GBA, with all three versions ranging from slight censored content like GBA port, to severe cut content like the SNES port, which had the playable character Guy, the Industrial area and the two player co-op gameplay removed, and to top it off, censored content as well.

A development team going by the name "CFX", which consists of Edmo Caldas, Master Linkuei, Mauro Xavier and Oscar Celestini, have worked to put together an entirely new recreation of the original arcade game made from scratch, without any kind of pre-existing or reverse-engineered code, and managed to get the game working on the original SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive hardware, complete with all its 3 characters, 3 rounds/stages out of the 6 so far, and a survivor and attack modes implemented into the game.

About Final Fight MD said:
This is a homebrew version of the Final Fight arcade to the SEGA Mega Drive made from scratch, without using any source code from the original.
As this is a working-in-progress project, please, keep in mind there are many bugs, including graphics corruption, lockups, and many other strange behaviors that can occur in the middle of gameplay.

This demo includes:
  • Possibility to play with 2 players at the same time
  • 3 characters to select
  • 3 complete rounds with their respective bosses
  • Survivor and Time Attack modes with the "Metro City Bridge" scenario

Those interested in trying out the WIP build of the homebrew port can find it on Itch.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It looks great! And I see that they have chosen to show the uncensored bra-wearing Jessica in the intro. :wub: I can't wait to see the final results!

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good game glad it’s the arcade version, I still don’t understand why snes wasn’t 2 players and was missing a level. I think a rom hack added two players. I guess that missing level was difficult but gba had it. I will definitely get the sega version to this.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang that music is almost too good it doesnt feel right.
Capcom game with good sound and effects on the genesis?
Only a fan work could be this good.
Absolutely wonderful.
Hope the code could be reused for original projecta in the future too.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There have been some AMAZING looking Sega games being released by fans over the last few years.
- Better Final fight for the sega CD
- Final fight for the Genesis
- Better street fighter 2 for the Genesis
- Better MK for the 32x
- SOTN for the Genesis
- Better SOTN for the Saturn
etc...

I'm not sure if Sega fans are just more dedicated to their platform of choice, or the developers just don't want to deal with Nintendo's legal BS. Either way, it's damn impressive.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMCA in.... Oh wait, Sega are cool :)

Are Capcom? Doesn't 'character likeness' or even the name come under copyright?
If the maker's claims about it being a clean room approach are legitimate, it should be legally okay, as long as they arent trying to monetize it in any way. That last detail has killed a few other fan projects too.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Everything looks great. Too bad they used that filter on Retroarch.

And the blood gushes seem too "modern" moving. They are too smooth. I don't know if I'm being clear, but I don't remember the blood moving like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye