Homebrew Video Games Hero

sumiguchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A music/rythm game with 65 75 Songs, 5 Game modes, Motion Card and Guitar Grip support. More information at: www.videogameshero.com

Created by sumiguchi & spriteattack

It's too large to attach so Download Video Games Hero!

Due to compo rules as posted here, I've added another download for a rom with no splash screens. No changes since update 1 - this is to meet the rules for qualification in the bounty. Get it here. (If you haven't already tried the game, you still need to download the original package from the first download link). Enjoy.

Installation:
Extract the archive so that the vgh folder is on the root of your flash cart. Inside this folder you should have a gfx and a d folder each with many files. Use the vghero.nds for slot 1 carts and vghero.sc.nds for slot 2 (rename to .gba if necessary). The .nds (or gba) files can be placed where ever you like. DLDI Patch is required!

1 Tour

VideoGamesHero’s primary game mode offer you 65 songs for your gaming pleasure. 10 additional bonus songs have been added to extend the fun!

1.1 Difficulty
Tour has 4 difficulty settings:
Easy - which has notes on three tracks
Medium - which has notes on four tracks
Hard - which has notes on all five tracks
Expert - which has even more notes than hard

Those who are new to rhythm games, or have problems at higher difficulties, try “easy” or “medium”. Otherwise you may be comfortable jumping in on the “hard” setting.

1.2 Choosing a Song

You can navigate through the sets by taping on the < > icons with your stylus or using
left & right on the dpad. If a set is locked, you won't be able to select any songs.

When the song is available, you will see the name of the song along with your high-score
and ranking. Ranking is tracked for each skill level (and game mode) but only your overall high-score for that song is kept. Tap on the song, or navigate to it using the
D-Pad and tap again, or press A or Start to select it.

1.3 Ready Menu

You have a few options available to you on the Ready menu:

Stage - There are 13 different stages (backgrounds) available in the game, but they
are only available once they are unlocked. Choose stage 0 for a random selection.
1 stage is available at the beginning and 3 can be unlocked in each difficulty. If you
play at higher difficulties only, you will still unlock all the stages.

Note: All 12 stages can be unlocked in “expert” mode if you haven't played easy/medium/hard.

Calibrate - If you find the notes to be out of sync with the music, try adjusting the
calibration.

Normal/Flipped - use this to flip the note patterns. Normal has the colours lined up with Green, Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange from left to right, while Flipped has them in reversed order Orange, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green.

1.4 Tour gameplay

Strike the right color as it's note passes over the hit box near the bottom of the top screen.

D-Pad / Buttons
You strike a note by using the d-pad/buttons as indicated on the bottom screen.

Stylus
You can also tap the appropriate color on the screen with your stylus.

Guitar Grip
If you have a Guitar Grip, you can use it but note that the colors on the grip are disregarded. From left to right, use D-Pad Left, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green. Choose "Flipped" on the ready menu to line up the colors if you like.
If you forgot to insert the grip when you started the game, just pause the game (by
pressing start) and pop it in - it will be automatically detected.

Scoring
Each note you hit is worth a set number of points depending on the difficulty setting.

Easy - 30 points, Medium - 40 points, Hard & Expert = 50 points.

Streaks
When you hit all the notes in the correct sequence, you will see coins turning white on the
bottom of the top screen. Once they have all turned white, your multiplier will be
increased to a maximum of 5x.

Streak Bonus
Once you have hit 25 notes in a row you will be awarded 1000 points and a streak bonus icon will be shown on the screen. When it is visible, use the L and/or R shoulder buttons to gain even more points.

When you see sparks fly from the Streak Bonus, you've earned an additional 50 points.

You can earn hundreds of points with a single streak bonus in this way - but be careful - if you miss a note, the streak bonus is gone and so is your multiplier.

Motion Support

Instead of using the L/R buttons for streak bonus, you can use your motion compatible
card and tilt your ds left and right to earn streak bonus points. If you forgot to insert your motion card, just pause the game (press start) and insert it. It will be automatically detected.

Pause/Quit

Press start to pause the game and press start again to resume, or press Select to quit.

1.5 Results Screen
After your game you will be presented with your score and your rating.
Rating < 25 = 3 thumbs down (Fail)
Rating < 50 = 2 thumbs down (Fail)
Rating < 70 = 1 thumb down (Fail)
Rating < 85 = 1 star (Success)
Rating < 95 = 2 stars (Success)
Rating >=95 = 3 stars (Success)

Leaderboard
You can submit your score to the online leaderboard to compete with the rest of the
world. On submission you will be presented with the top 5 scores and your overall
ranking. Vist www.videogameshero.com to see all the scores.

Now you can choose to replay, continue (back to the song menu) or quit (back to the
main menu)

2. Bonus Modes
There are 4 bonus modes available.

2.1 Red Vs Blue
- challenge your friend or just compete against yourself!
In addition to the normal Ready Menu options, you can also choose how many notes will be played per color, before switching to the other. (5 means that 5 red notes are followed by 5 blue notes)
In this mode you are limited to useing the d-pad and buttons. Red plays red notes with the d-pad and Blue plays with the Y/X/A buttons.

The scoring is based on your accuracy and your best streak. Stats are kept to keep track of the Red - Blue score for each song and overall.

2.2 Audiophile
This mode is meant to be played with the lid closed and play to rhythm. You can play in any of the following ways (or any combination thereof)
L and/or R shoulder buttons
Guitar Grip (any button)
Motion (move in any direction)

2.3 Grip Mania
This mode is meant for the Guitar Grip enthusiasts. This mode provides the Expert level on only 4 tracks. Regardless of the Normal/Flipped setting, the colors will always line up with the grip. The streak bonus works just like in the Tour.

2.4 Jambalaya
If you've mastered all the tracks, try this one for a change as each not is generated randomly - providing you with a unique experience every game. Play in the same way as Tour.

3. Options

SFX Volume - adjust the volume of the sound effects played in the menu and during gameplay. (0 - 100 at increments of 5)
Menu scroll - change or stop the background scrolling in the menu. (You can also use Select in any menu to adjust this)
Clear RVB Stats - Reset the statistics for the Red Vs Blue game mode. (Hold X & Y after selecting the menu option)

One other extra. If you are in a menu where music is playing, close the lid and change songs by pressing the L or R shoulder buttons.

We hope you enjoy this game!
gameover_yourock.jpg

lose1.jpg

screenshot_pattern.jpg

title.jpg

This video is from a beta version - the download is for the final release
smile.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome been waiting for this! Good luck in the contest!

Yay first! I want to try this.
smile.gif

Aw damn, I think it's too big for my card.
frown.gif
It might work though! Awesome, Guitar Grip support?
biggrin.gif

sumiguchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I forgot to mention that you need to dldi patch. I think this should run on any card...but let me know if that is not the case!

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it works, but I get a missing file error, vgh/gfx/pad2 or something. :S What did I do wrong, it went so smoothly.
frown.gif

Yes, I DLDI'd.

sumiguchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should have 100 files in the /vgh/gfx directory and 137 in the /vgh/d directory....

If you don't try downloading it again... and make sure you extract all files and the vgh folder should be on the root of you cart.

Good luck
smile.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
smile.gif
Yup, I'll be getting my new cart tomorrow. *has been saying that all week*
Okay, and Donkey Kong is completely frozen, I'll try that though. Great work though.

Share the money if you win? kidding.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Yeah, I have all the files.

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hate to say that this game is really unoriginal... But damn! It's freaken amazing. So far, only two homebrew submitted for the bounty has caught my attention. This and Legion/Legion Online. Two of the best homebrews I've ever had the pleasure of playing. As much as I'd hate to admit, this game was far superior in almost all ways to Legion (which I still thought was fantastic, especially the online feature, so no offense to the authors). I really hope you win. And if I had the power to rig the votes (which I wouldn't), it'd be definitely this first and Legion second. Keep up the good work! Good luck!

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it looks awesome, I can't play it though. Yeah, I know I saw grip support.

:< It keeps giving me errors like missing files vgh/gfx/pad(or pad2 for some)

sumiguchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alex said:
Yeah, it looks awesome, I can't play it though. Yeah, I know I saw grip support.

:< It keeps giving me errors like missing files vgh/gfx/pad(or pad2 for some)
Well pay special attention to that error! for each file that could error - there are four files.
pad2_Info.bin
pad2_Map.bin
pad2_Pal.bin
pad2_Tiles.bin

What kind of card are you using? It may be case sensitive... check that the files have the same case as what is described above! Hopefully you can get it working!

Gerinych - thanks for the kudos
wink.gif
Most of the grip support was put into PAlib by BassAceGold
smile.gif
The detection is at the start of a level and in the pause menu. Same for Motion Support!

Cheers,
sumiguchi

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's a shoddy GnM so I'll just wait for my Supercard.
frown.gif

Okay, Ill try to get it to work though, I really want to play it.
biggrin.gif

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a few more features? For some reason when I've selected a song and I'm choosing whether to play it Normal/Flipped or Start, it won't let me go back to the previous screen so I'm forced to actually start the song and select quit. Maybe that's just me? Anyone else having this problem? I also thought it'd be cool to add that thing where if you close the DS, the game pauses? When I close it while the game is running, I can still hear sounds, so I was wondering if that could be tweaked a bit. Sorry for complaining! No matter what, this game will be on my SD for a long time (if not forever)!

sumiguchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
matrix121391 said:
I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a few more features? For some reason when I've selected a song and I'm choosing whether to play it Normal/Flipped or Start, it won't let me go back to the previous screen so I'm forced to actually start the song and select quit. Maybe that's just me? Anyone else having this problem? I also thought it'd be cool to add that thing where if you close the DS, the game pauses? When I close it while the game is running, I can still hear sounds, so I was wondering if that could be tweaked a bit. Sorry for complaining! No matter what, this game will be on my SD for a long time (if not forever)!
From the song menu you can go back by hitting B. Once you get to the ready menu - there is no going back. Sorry.

If you are playing a game and close the lid - it surely does pause (though sound effects will continue to play - but in most cases - they will end soon enough)

If you are in a menu, the music continues to play. I play on the train and when I get off at my stop, I just go back to the menu and use it as my "music player". In the menu, with the lid closed, you can navigate songs by using the L/R buttons. Its a feature
wink.gif

One exception - if you are playing the Audiophile mode - the game pauses when you open the lid ^^

If you have some suggestions/comments to make it better, please let me know with as many details as possible!

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
When i try to download the game, i get this error :
QUOTE said:
The bandwidth or page view limit for this site has been exceeded and the page cannot be viewed at this time. Once the site is below the limit, it will once again begin serving as normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU