Hacking USB Loader GX - Multiple USB Drives.

TimboTuesday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get a 2 HDD setup working and I'm having problems.

1. I installed Install cIOS d2x v10 r52 base 57 with the modified fat.app
2. I have a 2TB Western Digital Mybook with My Wii and Gamecube games plugged into the top usb port
3. I have a second 2TB Western Digital Mybook plugged into the bottom usb port with my Wii U games.

With both drives plugged in, the vWii HDD won't boot and I get this error message:

Error Code: 199-9999
An error has occurred
Please turn off the Wii U console
and try again.

If the problem persists, please
visit support.nintendo.com.

Support Information
1. 99.99.99 U
2. WUP-101 (02)
3. FW427054686
4. HASE-0251-6175

The Wii U HDD works when both drives are plugged in and the vWii HDD does work when plugged in alone. I want to have both HDDs running at the same time. What am I doing wrong?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

2. I have a 2TB Western Digital Mybook with My Wii and Gamecube games plugged into the top usb port
3. I have a second 2TB Western Digital Mybook plugged into the bottom usb port with my Wii U games.

With both drives plugged in, the vWii HDD won't boot and I get this error message:

An error has occurred
and try again.

Support Information
1. 99.99.99 U
2. WUP-101 (02)
3. FW427054686
4. HASE-0251-6175

The Wii U HDD works when both drives are plugged in and the vWii HDD does work when plugged in alone. I want to have both HDDs running at the same time. What am I doing wrong?
Is it formatted to FAT32 with 32k cluster size? Is it hidden with Ustealth?

Reactions: jeannotte

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France

An error has occurred
and try again.

Support Information
1. 99.99.99 U
2. WUP-101 (02)
3. FW427054686
4. HASE-0251-6175

Hello,

try this:

1) Connect your first external hard drive from your Wii U games to the USB ports on the front of the console.

2) Connect your second external hard drive (vwii mode) at the back of the console to the USB ports.

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

An error has occurred
and try again.

Support Information
1. 99.99.99 U
2. WUP-101 (02)
3. FW427054686
4. HASE-0251-6175

It is strange that you get that error message simply because the vWII HDD is plugged in (with ustealth). I have a problem with both drives plugged in, but that has to do with usbloadergx not detecting the Fat32 vWII drive if the WIIU drive is plugged in at the same time. I just unplug my WIIU HDD when I want to use usbloadergx, and leave the vWII Fat32 drive plugged in all the time.. so your issue is kind of the opposite of mine.

TimboTuesday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the delayed response. I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA. We were hit with an storm called a Derecho that obliterated our entire city with 140 mile hour winds. It was basically a category 4 inland hurricane. I just got power and internet back a couple days ago and this is my first opportunity to respond.

Hello,

try this:

1) Connect your first external hard drive from your Wii U games to the USB ports on the front of the console.

2) Connect your second external hard drive (vwii mode) at the back of the console to the USB ports.

I tried that, it didn't actually change anything

It is strange that you get that error message simply because the vWII HDD is plugged in (with ustealth). I have a problem with both drives plugged in, but that has to do with usbloadergx not detecting the Fat32 vWII drive if the WIIU drive is plugged in at the same time. I just unplug my WIIU HDD when I want to use usbloadergx, and leave the vWII Fat32 drive plugged in all the time.. so your issue is kind of the opposite of mine.

Our issues are the same. If I have the Wii U drive plugged in, the vWii drive fails to load.

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the delayed response. I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA. We were hit with an storm called a Derecho that obliterated our entire city with 140 mile hour winds. It was basically a category 4 inland hurricane. I just got power and internet back a couple days ago and this is my first opportunity to respond.

I tried that, it didn't actually change anything

Our issues are the same. If I have the Wii U drive plugged in, the vWii drive fails to load.
Oh I see,

yes - i haven't found a solution yet other than plugging replugging the WIIU HDD as necessary. I would love to find a way to leave both HDD plugged in all the time so please let me know if you find a solution.

I had originally posted my issue here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1343#post-9138325

Last edited by geoGolem,

TimboTuesday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see,

yes - i haven't found a solution yet other than plugging replugging the WIIU HDD as necessary. I would love to find a way to leave both HDD plugged in all the time so please let me know if you find a solution.

I had originally posted my issue here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1343#post-9138325
Have you tried Clutz' solution from this thread? I may have failed but I have no idea if I did something wrong. You should try it as well.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Clutz' solution from this thread? I may have failed but I have no idea if I did something wrong. You should try it as well.
Are you talking about this post here?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-multiple-usb-drives.466416/#post-7791503

I don't think the way he is describing his problem exactly matches what I was seeing but it's worth a shot. Basically put a forwarder to USB Loader GX on your home screen and put the USB loader GX app on your USB drive. Then try launching the forwarder. What should happen (if it's the same issue as mine) it should kick you back to the homescreen because it couldn't find the app. But during that reset it reset your USB drives (at least I'm assuming that's what's happening) acting like you unplugged and unplugged in your USB drive. Now when you click on the forwarder, USB Loader GX should load up just fine. Hope that helps.

Reactions: lordelan

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you talking about this post here?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-multiple-usb-drives.466416/#post-7791503

I don't think the way he is describing his problem exactly matches what I was seeing but it's worth a shot. Basically put a forwarder to USB Loader GX on your home screen and put the USB loader GX app on your USB drive. Then try launching the forwarder. What should happen (if it's the same issue as mine) it should kick you back to the homescreen because it couldn't find the app. But during that reset it reset your USB drives (at least I'm assuming that's what's happening) acting like you unplugged and unplugged in your USB drive. Now when you click on the forwarder, USB Loader GX should load up just fine. Hope that helps.
I already have a forwarder on my homescreen, but I have the usbloadergx app on my sd card. in order to get this to work, i should remove from the sd card, and put on the usb drive?.. I could try this. My setup is similar to yours except I have not figured out how to get neek2o to work. I have emunand with my wiiware/vc games installed to it on my sd card. I havent bothered with any of the problematic wiiware games yet except castlevanie rebirth which I just installed to the vWii's real nand.

The only thing I havent been able to find any solution is to have dance pads work for either the GC Mario Mix or Wii DDR games. I have a gamecube dance mat and tried it with Mario Mix, but it has some issues ... Another user had the same issue with several dance mats - his solution was to use native mode but he was on an old white wii with actual GC ports - so that is not an option on wii u.

Last edited by geoGolem,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a forwarder on my homescreen, but I have the usbloadergx app on my sd card. in order to get this to work, i should remove from the sd card, and put on the usb drive?.. I could try this. My setup is similar to yours except I have not figured out how to get neek2o to work. I have emunand with my wiiware/vc games installed to it on my sd card. I havent bothered with any of the problematic wiiware games yet except castlevanie rebirth which I just installed to the vWii's real nand.

The only thing I havent been able to find any solution is to have dance pads work for either the GC Mario Mix or Wii DDR games. I have a gamecube dance mat and tried it with Mario Mix, but it has some issues ... Another user had the same issue with several dance mats - his solution was to use native mode but he was on an old white wii with actual GC ports - so that is not an option on wii u.
Try moving your entire apps folder off of your SD card and put it on your USB drive. The key here is just making sure that the forwarder doesnt find anything on your SD card to boot. Like I said, it should reboot the system and when it does hopefully your drives will now work. At least that's what did it for me. So not really a gic but a workaround that doesn't involve me unplugging and plugging in my USB drive every time.

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try moving your entire apps folder off of your SD card and put it on your USB drive. The key here is just making sure that the forwarder doesnt find anything on your SD card to boot. Like I said, it should reboot the system and when it does hopefully your drives will now work. At least that's what did it for me. So not really a gic but a workaround that doesn't involve me unplugging and plugging in my USB drive every time.

Interesting, I will try that later today - i wonder if perhaps given this information it might be possible to acutally figure out what is going on and fix usbloadergx.. anwyay, first things first - i will try this later on tonight.

TimboTuesday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so nothing I'm doing is working. I'm using cIOS d2x v10 r52 base 57 with the modified fat.app. Wii games were installed with Wii Backup Manager. Here the setups I've tried:

1. Port 0: vWii HDD, Port 1: Wii U HDD: vWii HDD will not initialize while Wii U HDD is plugged in.
  2. Port 0: Wii U HDD, Port 1: vWii HDD: vWii HDD initializes and gamecube games launch correctly. Wii games just crash back to vWii System Menu.
  3. Port 0: vWii HDD, Port 1: Open: vWii HDD initializes and both Wii and Gamecube games launch normally.
  4. Port 0: Open Port 1: vWii HDD: vWii HDD initializes and gamecube games launch correctly. Wii games just crash back to vWii System Menu.
Clutz and other people have this working but we can't figure out why it's not working for me. I've tried multiple HDDs, Flashdrives, and MicroSD converters and nothing is working.

I've tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing. Is there something in the settings that will allow me to play Wii games out of Port 1?

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so nothing I'm doing is working. I'm using cIOS d2x v10 r52 base 57 with the modified fat.app. Wii games were installed with Wii Backup Manager. Here the setups I've tried:

1. Port 0: vWii HDD, Port 1: Wii U HDD: vWii HDD will not initialize while Wii U HDD is plugged in.
  2. Port 0: Wii U HDD, Port 1: vWii HDD: vWii HDD initializes and gamecube games launch correctly. Wii games just crash back to vWii System Menu.
  3. Port 0: vWii HDD, Port 1: Open: vWii HDD initializes and both Wii and Gamecube games launch normally.
  4. Port 0: Open Port 1: vWii HDD: vWii HDD initializes and gamecube games launch correctly. Wii games just crash back to vWii System Menu.
Clutz and other people have this working but we can't figure out why it's not working for me. I've tried multiple HDDs, Flashdrives, and MicroSD converters and nothing is working.

I've tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing. Is there something in the settings that will allow me to play Wii games out of Port 1?

The best I have found is your situation 1) -> I bought this switch to connect/disconnect wiiu HDD. Basically switching between your situations 1 and 3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000343999457.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.18124c4dqTQMow

I cant remember exactly whats happening in all my situations but I eventually settled on the solution i describe above with the toggle switch for the WIIU HDD.
If I have time, I may look into it further and see whats going on in the code with usbloaderGX. I think it should be possible to get it working.

Edit: if I remember correctly changing usbloadergx to use ios249 instead ios58 will avoid a freeze during init usb devices when launching usbloader.. however once in usb loader the vwii hdd won't be detected...

Last edited by geoGolem,

TimboTuesday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working. I had to go in and change these settings on these files:

Meta.xml
<arg>--ios=58</arg>
<arg>--usbport=0</arg>
<arg>--mountusb=1</arg>

GXGlobal.cfg
LoaderIOS = 249
cios = 249
MultiplePartitions = 1
USBPort = 0
USBAutoMount = 1

To get my USB Loader GX Forwarder working, I just had to move it off of Nand and onto my USB HDD.

I want to thank everyone who both helped and tried to help. My town got hit by an inland storm called a derecho. We lost power for 10 days. It stole all of my momentum. I'd been stuck on this for so long I was about to give up and your responses kept me coming back.

Last edited by TimboTuesday,

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got it working. I had to go in and change these settings on these files:

Meta.xml
<arg>--ios=58</arg>
<arg>--usbport=0</arg>
<arg>--mountusb=1</arg>

GXGlobal.cfg
LoaderIOS = 249
cios = 249
MultiplePartitions = 1
USBPort = 0
USBAutoMount = 1

To get my USB Loader GX Forwarder working, I just had to move it off of Nand and onto my USB HDD.

I want to thank everyone who both helped and tried to help. My town got hit by an inland storm called a derecho. We lost power for 10 days. It stole all of my momentum. I'd been stuck on this for so long I was about to give up and your responses kept me coming back.
i tried changing the ios to 249 before -- this would avoid the freeze on initing the drive, but once in usbloaderGX nothing would be detected. I will have to try checking out the other settings, usbport, mountusb and automount etc. I will check them later today and see if I can get it working as well! Thanks for your post.

EDIT: so i tried changing all your options as you show above. I then tried launching from HBC... I get a freeze on "Reinitializing devices". The forwarder also freezes. I havent tried moving the app to the usb from the sd card yet though... I'll try that soon.

EDIT: Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. I cannot launch homebrew from my usb for some reason. if I try to launch via the fowarder, i wil just return to wii menu. If I launch HBC, nothing appears, but if I press(1) I think, or maybe (2).. i get the menu and the only thing I can select is usb, but when I do, i get a stack dump...

thanks for your help though - im glad you got it working. It looks like I'll just be using the toggle switch for now..

EDIT: I wonder if some of these issues might be fixed by successfully building a version of usbloaderGX with newer version of devkit and libogc...

Last edited by geoGolem,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44