[Update] WiiU Production to "end soon"

194ulnezyxcwupng.png

After numerous rumors and denials by Nintendo itself, it seems like the WiiU will indeed meet its anticipated end soon.

On the Japanese Nintendo website, the following image can be seen:

m32hkq2havuegljqv3yo.png

The Japanese text can be translated to "Production is scheduled to end soon" (even Google Translate will give you something similar).

While the WiiU's end was expected, especially with the upcoming Nintendo Switch early next year, it is a tad bit surprising since Nintendo itself recently denied rumors pertaining to the end of the home console's production.

However there is no indication as to how soon is "soon" and since it's on their Japanese website, we don't know as of yet how it will impact other regions.

Update: In a statement to Kotaku, Nintendo of America had the following to say: “We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.”
:arrow: SOURCE, SOURCE 2

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
The end of the Wii U is a very narrow minded statement, Homebrew is still being created and will continue to be. The Wii was discontinued, but is still supported by many Wii Homebrewers; overall, this isn't truly the end for the Wii U. 'Anticipated', I'm definitely not 'anticipating' the consoles Discontinuation.

GorGylka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
oh,thats sad... but you know what even sadder? its what i still dont know what is needed port of the bottom on wiiu gamepad

Reactions: zezzo

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you guys aware we are already in 2017 financially speaking? The N guys planned this very carefully. It's no coincidence the end of WiiU production matches start of fiscal year and Switch's production peak. Also, they look like they have very well planned what they can and cannot say.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"But the switch won't replace the Wii U or 3DS. The switch is a third pillar!" - Neintendo
I don't know why they would've bothered denying it, Switch is obviously designed to replace at least one of their consoles, if not both. Makes sense that WiiU would be the first to go since its sales have been weaksauce.

Last edited by Xzi,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is the best, but the FREAKIN' PEOPLE HATE IT, DAMN!
I wonder why...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know why they would've bothered denying it, Switch is obviously designed to replace at least one of their consoles, if not both. Makes sense that WiiU would be the first to go since its sales have been weaksauce.
Dunno. I see a replacement as something like the 360 to the one... This seems to be something different. Hard to explain.

Reactions: baselhamad

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you're a hater of Wii U, then why are you here?

Well for one, because this isn't a WiiU forum. It's a gaming (and piracy) forum.
Two i've owned a WiiU since launch,
and three, because I can be.

It's a shit console that Nintendo handled very, very horribly. Everything about its existence shows that off in spades.
That's why it's already dead and being succeeded by a much more impressive looking console.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dunno. I see a replacement as something like the 360 to the one... This seems to be something different. Hard to explain.
Not all that different. They both plug into a TV and the Switch is likely to be more powerful graphically. Nobody will miss the touchscreen controller if they're given several other options. Best thing about the WiiU now is that it can be hacked and it'll be very cheap soon enough. I'm still iffy on whether it'll be worth buying at any point though. I'd probably rather put that money toward Switch.

Last edited by Xzi,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm still iffy on whether it'll be worth buying at any point though. I'd probably rather put that money toward Switch.
Regarding the Wii U, the only reason I am sure I will use mine sometime in the near future is Zelda. I believe if you don't already own a Wii U, it would be better just to buy a Switch (that unlike the WiiU, it at least has some chance of having a future) and play Zelda there.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the Wii U, the only reason I am sure I will use mine sometime in the near future is Zelda. I believe if you don't already own a Wii U, it would be better just to buy a Switch (that unlike the WiiU, it at least has some chance of having a future) and play Zelda there.
Yeah I kinda assumed. I was thinking used at under $100 perhaps, but it's likely that all the "greatest hits" of WiiU get ported to Switch anyway.

baselhamad

"F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for one, because this isn't a WiiU forum. It's a gaming (and piracy) forum.
Two i've owned a WiiU since launch,
and three, because I can be.

It's a shit console that Nintendo handled very, very horribly. Everything about its existence shows that off in spades.
That's why it's already dead and being succeeded by a much more impressive looking console.
well, this is your opinion, but my opinion is the Wii U is the best

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe the PS3 outlived the Wii, the Xbox 360, AND the Wii U.

I think Nintendo fucked the Wii U even harder than Sony fucked the Vita; not only did the Wii U sell less units, it also has less games.

The wii still gets one game a year. Just dance 2017 recently got released in October, so expect 2018 to come out next year. If there is any other games I'm not to sure.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
This could mean it's just the SKU getting replaced with a new one.
They've already had 16 different Wii Us discontinued in Japan.

Nintendo have said they'll continue making and supporting the Wii U and 3DS alongside the Switch so I wouldn't assume they're going to end production permanently for the platform.
Especially since Breath Of The Wild is several months away and has been promoted to be played on the Wii U.

Nintendo's dodging the real issue is what has everybody ruffled. All they had to do was say "Wii U manufacturing ended on (date) globally", end of story.
Instead we get the vague possibility of a new SKU in Japan. As well as more US units appearing the next financial year.

Nothing about PAL regions yet for that matter.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The wii still gets one game a year. Just dance 2017 recently got released in October, so expect 2018 to come out next year. If there is any other games I'm not to sure.
You're right, but the Wii isn't produced anymore AFAIK, while the PS3 is still being produced in various countries

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5