[Update] WiiU Production to "end soon"

194ulnezyxcwupng.png

After numerous rumors and denials by Nintendo itself, it seems like the WiiU will indeed meet its anticipated end soon.

On the Japanese Nintendo website, the following image can be seen:

m32hkq2havuegljqv3yo.png

The Japanese text can be translated to "Production is scheduled to end soon" (even Google Translate will give you something similar).

While the WiiU's end was expected, especially with the upcoming Nintendo Switch early next year, it is a tad bit surprising since Nintendo itself recently denied rumors pertaining to the end of the home console's production.

However there is no indication as to how soon is "soon" and since it's on their Japanese website, we don't know as of yet how it will impact other regions.

Update: In a statement to Kotaku, Nintendo of America had the following to say: “We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.”
:arrow: SOURCE, SOURCE 2

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: I pwned U!

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might as well just bury it. they have a new cash cow coming in. i honestly do not think i will grab the switch immediately. just like the wii u, im going to wait a little bit and see how things go first.

i happened to get a wii u by luck - through some trades and an RMA it wound up being 100% free :) from there i bought a 2nd one for haxxors as i figured it would be a cat and mouse game but since nintendo clearly has no concerns with the Wii U at this point, i can have 2 haxx!

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
This could mean it's just the SKU getting replaced with a new one.
They've already had 16 different Wii Us discontinued in Japan.

Nintendo have said they'll continue making and supporting the Wii U and 3DS alongside the Switch so I wouldn't assume they're going to end production permanently for the platform.
Especially since Breath Of The Wild is several months away and has been promoted to be played on the Wii U.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my wii u. Shame it didnt get special edition colors. (i dont count the ww gamepad. Its still black but with hyrule decal)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think wii u and 3ds is link so once the 3ds is dead so will the wii u.
Also the reason the wifi died on wii/ds is because the company hosting it went out of business or something like that.
Game spy if i remember, and i dunno, cause i think nintendo eshop/ network was started the day wii u was released, but 3ds was out sooner without any kind of thing. Anyway i mean will people keep adding indie games and stuff to it every week supporting it, unless all of it is playable on the nintendo switch or something or they make 3DS ports. If only they had better wifi in the system i would have less to complian about. :unsure:

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a great system! I picked up an extra system a while back to have as a backup...but it didn't include the Gamepad. Does Nintendo sell the Gamepad by itself? I'm hoping that even after they end production, Nintendo will continue to sell their official refurbished products.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
told you never ever believe anything Nintendo says about previous consoles when a new one is on the horizon. 3ds is NEXT
The Switch lacks 4 big things the 3DS has, which means that what whatever Nintendo has planned for the 3DS is not replacing it with the Switch. I wonder what it will be.
1. Glasses-Free 3D (excluding 2DS)
2. Dual Screens (technically excludes 2DS as it has 1 physical panel)
3. Price range | The 2DS can be had for under 100$ new and the New3DS XL is $200. there is no way a switch will be at that price range.
4. Portability, the 3DS can fit into a pocket (unless you got a 2DS)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone