Japanese Site Nikkei Reports Nintendo Ceasing Wii U production by the end of the year

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by chavosaur, Mar 22, 2016.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    hero-1.jpg

Breaking news has come from Japanese site Nikkei;

According to Nikkei, Wii U accessories have already ceased production and the report states Wii U systems will soon follow suit, at the end of 2016. This is currently a rumor and will be updated as information comes out.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Chary, Mar 23, 2016
  2. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Well this is troubling. The hard part is that don't have a hard time believing it. If it's true then I better pick up Fatal Frame V and a few other digital only titles before the eshop closes in a few years.

3. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    "The NX won't replace the Wii U"
    If there is something Nintendo is not good at it's lying.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I wanted to say that Fatal Frame V had a physical release, and then I remembered that it was only released as such in Europe. Bummer, I guess.

As for the Wii U ceasing production, it's not terribly surprising - it wasn't widely adopted and Nintendo's just one company with limited resources - they don't have the means to plug the ship that's been sinking ever since it left the dry dock. On the bright side, the system had four years and has a couple of fun games - it's time to let go, not every console needs a 10 year life cycle.

Pacheko17, Xabring, PokeAcer and 3 others like this.
  5. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Yippee! Uh, I mean, oh no!

6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    That means i can hack vwii and wii u without worrying about bricking cause i'll have the "Not wii u replacement" NX and they won't fix my wii u for free

7. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    The king is dead, long live the king.

The eShop's not closing down - I wouldn't be surprised if the NX uses it as well. In fact, the original Wii's shop is still active, you can still buy from it, and the console is almost 10 years old, so I don't think the eShop's going away any time soon.

Pacheko17, PokeAcer, Raylight and 2 others like this.
  8. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Fuck Nintendo. Next time I'm buying an Xbox

LightyKD and dontay0100 like this.
  9. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Guess I'll be buying a Wii U next year, hopefully the price will come down.

Lycanroc and elmoemo like this.
  10. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    You can buy mine.

11. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Only way the price will come down is if Nintendo officially announces a price cut. Otherwise the price will rise once the NX comes out because no more units are being made, meaning the console will gradually become rarer and harder to find.
    The Wii is dirt cheap because everyone and their grandma owned one.

RSA6974 and XrosBlader821 like this.
  12. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Haha no thank you.
    I wouldn't mind buying used though.. Also, Gamecubes weren't popular at all in my country and they're very cheap nowadays (used, obviously).

Pacheko17 likes this.
  13. Pecrow

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    What the %$&&!!! "The NX won't replace the Wii U"... yeah.. because they are %&(*^ stopping production of it!!! WHAT THE *@$##@$!

14. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Such a shame. I love the Wii U, and think it had the potential to be one of Nintendo's best consoles. But nope... they screwed up so bad with marketing, securing third party support, and the first party library is missing some KEY titles (Zelda, Metroid, etc). The system was pretty much DOA from the start.

Chary and ric. like this.
  15. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Well... I mean it's true, technically. The NX won't replace the Wii U. It will be it's own thing. lol

16. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Assuming this is true, of course...
    Welp, the Wii U's dead. What a surprise. It's a shame too, aside from the Virtual Boy, it had the shortest Nintendo console lifespan ever. Interesting that the Wii U dies before the 3DS, too. Seems like it'll have a 4-5 year lifespan, a little less than console par but not as horrible as many say.

It was missing a lot of staple games from big franchises, too, and it did have a lot of good games, but it sucks it's likely, if the rumors are true already dead.

A few other notes.
    - I doubt the Wii U hacking scene will go too much past basic backup loaders and really small homebrew, to be honest.
    - RIP Off-TV gaming, it was my favorite feature, but without a GamePad or something, it's likely impossible, unless the NX is the "handheld-console hybrid" people say it is.
    - Let's hope the servers stay online. MK8, Smash 4, and Splatoon are still great.

digipimp75, DarkFlare69 and xtheman like this.
  17. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    If it is a bet 1 million bucks that the NX is gonna to be called the Wii NX

18. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Clearing the store shelves from Wii U's and filling them with NX's is called "Replacing", technically.
    I think the term you're searching for is "Theoretically".

I think someone at Nintendo already admitted that the Wii brand can't carry another system and that they are moving away from it.
    I'm not sure though so don't quote me on it.

19. RepeatingDigits

RepeatingDigits GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2015
    Chile
    That's like saying "Fuck this garbage, next time I'm buying even worse garbage."
    Like seriously, just get a PS4.5/Good PC at this point. And don't pull the fanboy card because I own a WiiU, this thing was and is a disaster. It has a good chunk of great games, but anything else? nothing.
    The NX better be the second coming of Jesus Christ, because I'm not getting burned by Nintendo again.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    One of my favourites of the Discworld books is Pyramids. In it one of the main characters is king of a once great desert kingdom that practically bankrupted itself with a series of poor decisions and was more or less left by the two rivals so they would not brush up against each other.
    I thought of that when reading your comment.

Silverthorn and ric. like this.