[Update] WiiU Production to "end soon"

194ulnezyxcwupng.png

After numerous rumors and denials by Nintendo itself, it seems like the WiiU will indeed meet its anticipated end soon.

On the Japanese Nintendo website, the following image can be seen:

m32hkq2havuegljqv3yo.png

The Japanese text can be translated to "Production is scheduled to end soon" (even Google Translate will give you something similar).

While the WiiU's end was expected, especially with the upcoming Nintendo Switch early next year, it is a tad bit surprising since Nintendo itself recently denied rumors pertaining to the end of the home console's production.

However there is no indication as to how soon is "soon" and since it's on their Japanese website, we don't know as of yet how it will impact other regions.

Update: In a statement to Kotaku, Nintendo of America had the following to say: “We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.”
:arrow: SOURCE, SOURCE 2

S

Saiyan Lusitano

That was supposed to be for controller accessories. But, AFAIK, I haven't see any kind of accessory that actually use it. Probably because the Wii U sold like trash and they didn't want to waste money creating accessories for a limited market.

As to the news, I figured that would happen. The DS was said to be a "third pillar" too, and look how that turned out.

Oh, so like a wired connection between two GamePads or something. Would've been interesting. I'll have to look into Black Friday deals and later to grab a Wii U bundle since new GamePads aren't sold individually.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so like a wired connection between two GamePads or something. Would've been interesting. I'll have to look into Black Friday deals and later to grab a Wii U bundle since new GamePads aren't sold individually.
Not really like linking two gamepads, no, something more like this:

qIZVgTJ.png

Where the gamepad was supposed to act like a scope in a shooter, as the above shows. IIRC that image was used in some early promotional stuff for the Wii U.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Not really like linking two gamepads, no, something more like this:

qIZVgTJ.png

Where the gamepad was supposed to act like a scope in a shooter, as the above shows. IIRC that image was used in some early promotional stuff for the Wii U.
I remember that from the early days. That was probably not very comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is different from pcs in the kind of games it offers, eg marios,Zelda etc.. with a pc you can play most ps and box games with better frame rate resolution and mods. Nintendo will always be the console to supplement my gaming pc.
Yeah that's fair. First-party Nintendo games are pretty much the sole reason I want Switch. OTOH it's usually not long before a new Nintendo console gets hacked/emulated, and you can play everything Nintendo from the Wii back on PC. With up-scaled graphics, too. By the time Switch is at the height of its popularity, WiiU emulation will be smooth enough as well.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Update: In a statement to Kotaku, Nintendo of America had the following to say: “We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extra odd how it was denied and now confirmed. It still makes no sense to me to be quitting it this early. I hope the thing is reduced in price locally since I'd hate to miss out on buying one. The thing is still far too expensive, in my opinion.

Hopefully the 3ds doesn't receive the same fate next year.
Highly unlikely.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html
It's printing money!

Reactions: TheDream44
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/11/nintendo-wii-u-ends-production/

The Wii U is already pretty much dead as it is although there's one last game that Wii U gamers are waiting for ~ Zelda:BotW. After that, it's dead.

And yeah, despite that Nintendo says it's not a "replacement" it is the replacement. That's like saying DS wasn't a replacement for GBA.
Well, the Switch isn't 'intended' to be a replacement. Otherwise, the Homebrew community will have an easier job at making homebrew, since Nintendo may drop support for the console.

gabe_derp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the Switch isn't 'intended' to be a replacement. Otherwise, the Homebrew community will have an easier job at making homebrew, since Nintendo may drop support for the console.
It kinda already seems that Nintendo has stopped caring about the Wii U before the Switch was announced, since 5.5.1 was released on January 11th and it has been exploited to hell and back. However, I bet they'll drop official online play support in 4 years from now, just as they did the Wii and the DS.

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
It kinda already seems that Nintendo has stopped caring about the Wii U before the Switch was announced, since 5.5.1 was released on January 11th and it has been exploited to hell and back. However, I bet they'll drop official online play support in 4 years from now, just as they did the Wii and the DS.
Well said, I like the fact that they may drop updates though.

Reactions: gabe_derp

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
The worst part will be when they completely terminate the online support for WiiU and those who spent tons of money on the eShop won't be able to re-download games/DLC if they need. That's the sucky part about digital.
Unless someone makes an alternitive server, and hosts the files. Well, the Non-Paid ones that is. Essentially, the titles & FW's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s