[UPDATE] The Great Ace Attorney - Complete English Patch Released

ep_5_release_post.jpg

The full translation patch for Dai Gyakuten Saiban / The Great Ace Attorney (Episode 1-5) is out for 3DS! You can grab it at the link below.

UPDATE:
  • Now also for Android!
  • DGS2 Demo for 3DS!

ENG 2.4.0

Download: https://scarletstudy.gq/download/
Typos and errors can be reported here:

Notes:

• Translated up to Episode 5 - Complete Translation.
  • A fully translated script, complete with all UI stuff and credits in English.
  • A vast rewrite of episodes 1 and 2, with the number of ellipses cut down hard.
  • Some miscellaneous fixes throughout the game.

Requirements:

• 3DS with CFW
  • Full physical or eShop copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban
or
  • Android device or emulator
  • Copy of DGS1 from PlayStore (guide on our website)

Our website
FAQ
Translation Notes
Credits
GBAtemp project thread

Last edited by Uwabami,

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm...I get a file labelled "Go_sys.dat."

I've never imported a save game before. Is there a special way I should do this? I've heard about JK's save game program, but I don't know how to get that to read a .dat file.
You should export your current save with JKSM to see how it works, then just replicate that and reimport.

The video teaser at the end of the DGS2 demo was really well made, how much time did the editing alone take?
The teaser is an exact replica of the original. We had to isolate the scenes, translate them, record them and then edit it of course. Took the guy who did it a few days...

Reactions: Wuigi

11tracer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I think I screwed up the Android patching. I missed the part where I needed to uninstall and reinstall the game before patching, so I ended up refunding the game during the patching process. I uninstalled the patched game and IrisMobile, and re-purchased the game and reinstalled IrisMobile. However, IrisMobile still thinks that I have the patched game installed, and is only giving me the option to "Restore Original Game". What should I do in this scenario?

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I think I screwed up the Android patching. I missed the part where I needed to uninstall and reinstall the game before patching, so I ended up refunding the game during the patching process. I uninstalled the patched game and IrisMobile, and re-purchased the game and reinstalled IrisMobile. However, IrisMobile still thinks that I have the patched game installed, and is only giving me the option to "Restore Original Game". What should I do in this scenario?
There's a folder called `ScarletStudy` in your internal memory now. Inside is a folder called `IrisMobile` - deleting it will reset IrisMobile and you can patch the game :)

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The game is great, I just finished episode 1. Thanks so much for your hard work :bow:

Now to my problem. I would like to play the game on my Shield TV but it seems it’s not in the japanese Google Play Android TV store, probably because it isn’t supposed to be compatible with Android TV. So I sideloaded it but the game said it can’t confirm my purchase with my Google account even though it’s the same account I bought it with on my Android phone. Deleted data, logged out, logged in, no luck. I don’t really know how google’s license stuff works. Could it be that when you download the game from the play store it downloads a license file on your phone that doesn’t exist when you sideload it?

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The game is great, I just finished episode 1. Thanks so much for your hard work :bow:

Now to my problem. I would like to play the game on my Shield TV but it seems it’s not in the japanese Google Play Android TV store, probably because it isn’t supposed to be compatible with Android TV. So I sideloaded it but the game said it can’t confirm my purchase with my Google account even though it’s the same account I bought it with on my Android phone. Deleted data, logged out, logged in, no luck. I don’t really know how google’s license stuff works. Could it be that when you download the game from the play store it downloads a license file on your phone that doesn’t exist when you sideload it?
Hm, I sideloaded it lots of times while testing stuff for the patch. It always recognized my license :unsure:
I can tell you that DGS2 supports controllers (no way to rotate evidence, though), but DGS1 doesn't.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hm, I sideloaded it lots of times while testing stuff for the patch. It always recognized my license :unsure:
I can tell you that DGS2 supports controllers (no way to rotate evidence, though), but DGS1 doesn't.
Do you have a Shield TV or an Android TV device? Maybe license verification failed because the Play Store for regular Android is different from the Play Store for Android TV?

Hmm.. I can use a mouse on my Shield TV so I thought I can play it like classic point-and-click games.

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you have a Shield TV or an Android TV device? Maybe license verification failed because the Play Store for regular Android is different from the Play Store for Android TV?

Hmm.. I can use a mouse on my Shield TV so I thought I can play it like classic point-and-click games.
That's certainly possible, I don't have a Shield TV. My point is that it would probably not work anyways, since you need to use touch controls or a mouse.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's certainly possible, I don't have a Shield TV. My point is that it would probably not work anyways, since you need to use touch controls or a mouse.
The mouse can emulate touch controls, but it’s pointless if I can’t run the game in the first place. Oh well, I can still stream it from my phone.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@Uwabami I think I have found out something interesting about the license verification on Android TV devices. I uninstalled both the game and Iris Mobile and then I installed the “vanilla.apk” Iris Mobile had created. After that I launched the still unpatched game and it downloaded about 1.7GB of data. After it finished I could run the game in japanese. License verification succeeded no problem. Then I installed Iris Mobile and patched the game successfully, but the license verification failed. To be sure I uninstalled and reinstalled everything again. Still the same:

License Verification: Ok (unpatched)

License Verification: Fail (patched)

Any idea why that is? :unsure:

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Uwabami I think I have found out something interesting about the license verification on Android TV devices. I uninstalled both the game and Iris Mobile and then I installed the “vanilla.apk” Iris Mobile had created. After that I launched the still unpatched game and it downloaded about 1.7GB of data. After it finished I could run the game in japanese. License verification succeeded no problem. Then I installed Iris Mobile and patched the game successfully, but the license verification failed. To be sure I uninstalled and reinstalled everything again. Still the same:

License Verification: Ok (unpatched)

License Verification: Fail (patched)

Any idea why that is? :unsure:
That is indeed strange, since we didn't even touch the license verification code... Which is amazing tbh - I didn't expect it to still work after our changes, but it did.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That is indeed strange, since we didn't even touch the license verification code... Which is amazing tbh - I didn't expect it to still work after our changes, but it did.
Ok I solved it now. As usual I spoke too soon. The issue was that I have two Google accounts on my Shield TV, my regular one and my japanese one. For some reason the unpatched game checked my japanese account whereas the patched game checked my regular account (even though I was logged in with my japanese account on Google Play). I deleted my regular account to see what happens and sure enough the license verification succeeded with the patched game.

Looks great on TV and works with a mouse :grog:

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok I solved it now. As usual I spoke too soon. The issue was that I have two Google accounts on my Shield TV, my regular one and my japanese one. For some reason the unpatched game checked my japanese account whereas the patched game checked my regular account (even though I was logged in with my japanese account on Google Play). I deleted my regular account to see what happens and sure enough the license verification succeeded with the patched game.

Looks great on TV and works with a mouse :grog:
This is really weird. It should work with both accounts active. Oh well, it works. Enjoy :)

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is really weird. It should work with both accounts active. Oh well, it works. Enjoy :)
I added my regular account back and verification still succeeds. The only difference is that my regular account now is the second account on the google accounts page. Before it was the first. Probably irrelevant though since on my phone the order of my accounts doesn’t matter and I never had a license verification problem there in the first place. It probably has something to do with how Google Play Services work on Android TV or whatever. Oh well all is good now. Thanks again for the excellent translation. Looking forward to DGS2 :)

toffeecakes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.xpango.com
XP
Country
Unfortunatley not. We're trying to improve IrisMobile to be more robust though...
After 3-4 days of repeatedly trying to download... I finally managed to patch it after waiting for everyone in the house to fall asleep and have the internet for myself :rofl2:
Everything else was smooth and easy after finishing the download.

Thank you so much for the hard work. I'm near the end of the first trial now, and I'm really enjoying DGS so far!

Reactions: Uwabami

Azrael7787

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, so I'm in a dilemma of sorts. I've already set up my Japanese Google Play store account, and used a Google play Japanese card to buy the DGS 1 game off the Japanese store. I'm currently trying to download the game. I have some questions:
1) Do I need to have a VPN active and be connected to a Japanese server the entire time I'm downloading the game? Or can I disconnect the VPN and just download the game?
2) While trying to download the game, it gets stuck at about 19%. Then it pops up with a message saying Waiting for Wifi or Click to download now or something along those lines. I click on that and I've gotten as far as 50% for the download. It keeps pausing and going, stopping and going. But once it hit 50%, it wouldn't progress any further and after a while I got an error saying that it's not working properly. I'm using a Galaxy S9 with the most updated operating system as far as I can tell. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get the game to fully download? I have really good WiFi, I'm confused why it's not working? I tested another random game from the Japanese market and it downloaded just fine without me being on a VPN or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated? I've tried restarting my phone, restarting Google Play Store, Force Stopping it, clearing data. None of it seems to be working so far?

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone, so I'm in a dilemma of sorts. I've already set up my Japanese Google Play store account, and used a Google play Japanese card to buy the DGS 1 game off the Japanese store. I'm currently trying to download the game. I have some questions:
1) Do I need to have a VPN active and be connected to a Japanese server the entire time I'm downloading the game? Or can I disconnect the VPN and just download the game?
2) While trying to download the game, it gets stuck at about 19%. Then it pops up with a message saying Waiting for Wifi or Click to download now or something along those lines. I click on that and I've gotten as far as 50% for the download. It keeps pausing and going, stopping and going. But once it hit 50%, it wouldn't progress any further and after a while I got an error saying that it's not working properly. I'm using a Galaxy S9 with the most updated operating system as far as I can tell. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get the game to fully download? I have really good WiFi, I'm confused why it's not working? I tested another random game from the Japanese market and it downloaded just fine without me being on a VPN or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated? I've tried restarting my phone, restarting Google Play Store, Force Stopping it, clearing data. None of it seems to be working so far?
Once the first purchase is done, you won't need the VPN ever again, even for buying more apps. Your account is now permanently locked to Japan. Our guide did mention that, though :unsure:

Azrael7787

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once the first purchase is done, you won't need the VPN ever again, even for buying more apps. Your account is now permanently locked to Japan. Our guide did mention that, though :unsure:

So I was able to fully download the game and patch it and start playing. However I had to switch my Google play store back to my American account to download an app. Now when I try to play the game it gives me an error saying license error. It cant confirm my purchase with the Google account I'm logged in with. I switch back to the Japanese account and it's still giving me the error. How do I fix this? Why is it doing this? I just want to play the game :(

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Once the first purchase is done, you won't need the VPN ever again, even for buying more apps.
I can’t confirm that. Without a VPN, my japanese account shows prices in Euro BUT it also shows SOME japanese apps. I can’t buy those japanese apps though because it says they are not available in my country.
How do I fix this?
I had the same issue and I fixed it by deleting my regular account, and adding it back later.

Try this:

1) Delete your american account
2) Start DGS1 and confirm that your license works
3) Add back your american account

From that point the game should always correctly verify your license.

EDIT: I have a question of my own. It seems that in the Android version all episodes are unlocked from the start (also in the unpatched game). Is it the same for the 3DS version or is it only unique for the Android version?

EDIT2: Another question. I noticed this on the scarletstudy website:
By the way, we’re looking for an ARM reverse engineer or two to help us out with TGAA2 and AAI2 and an Android frontend developer who knows Xamarin.

Are you guys planning to translate the Android version of AAI2?

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can’t confirm that. Without a VPN, my japanese account shows prices in Euro BUT it also shows SOME japanese apps. I can’t buy those japanese apps though because it says they are not available in my country.
That's not how it should be. For me it always shows prices in Yen.

EDIT: I have a question of my own. It seems that in the Android version all episodes are unlocked from the start (also in the unpatched game). Is it the same for the 3DS version or is it only unique for the Android version?
Yes, all mobile ports do that. Probably to make it easier to play later Episodes for people who started off with the handheld version.

Are you guys planning to translate the Android version of AAI2?
Yes, we've announced our intent on doing that a few months ago and we got the permission of the team that translated it.

Last edited by Uwabami,
Reactions: WiiUBricker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box]... +1