Hacking [Update] R4i Gold 3DS [and DSTWO] firmware update to support 6.1.0-X RELEASED

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
No, it is not soldering. Just take the edge of a knife and cut the rail.

I'm not talking about the line cutting, I'm merely observing the sloppy soldering job they did on the chips in the second picture. Comparing the two pics is like night and day, which I just find comical. :D

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow... talk about down and dirty... opening up the cartridge and cutting it...

I understand that it is to make the update work, but how from a technological standpoint does cutting the board actually make the cart work?

Bumping my post because it seems to have been ignored :(

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So I have this card, the R4i Gold 3DS, bought from nds-gamer.com, a trusted reseller:
1Ymlidc.jpg

It has WOODR4 kernel 1.60 on it, and the current DORASU icon. However, my problems don't end there...

OuhrwM9.jpg

Clearly, we can see in the pic above that this is a Rev "C" card, marked on the PCB...

raGunL8.jpg

But the system kernel reports the card is a Rev "B" hardware. I couldn't update from the Metroid icon to the Deep Labyrinth icon, and now I still can't update from Dorasu to this update. Please tell me I don't have to wait for them to push the update for the Rev "B" cards...

AppleBelly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It does say on the site "3DS6.0 updating patch is released now!(for R4i gold 3DS card only)(Jun.23,2013)"

Do you think the RTS card is excluded from this release?

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does say on the site "3DS6.0 updating patch is released now!(for R4i gold 3DS card only)(Jun.23,2013)"

Do you think the RTS card is excluded from this release?
Well I "updated" my R4i RTS to "The new patch for 3DS V4.5.0-10 & DSi V1.45 is releasing! (for R4i gold 3DS card only)(Jan.06th,2013)", in an attempt to fix some weird Pokemon B/W 2 bug, and then the 6.0.0 patch when it came out and it works fine on 6.0.0.

Cmac0801

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have the Dorasu card too but didn't know about the lack of updates it had, kinda sucks...
I really hope they bring an update for this one out though, i wanted to download something from the store and saw i needed to update and without checking the site i thought the R4 software was updated but apparently not...

Wow... talk about down and dirty... opening up the cartridge and cutting it...

I understand that it is to make the update work, but how from a technological standpoint does this actually make the cart work?
Yeah, if you buy the card and they say updates come out for every new update Nintendo pushes they don't have to go to you and tell you to cut wires on the card itself, thats just...

Reactions: yuyuyup

Cmac0801

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So I have this card, the R4i Gold 3DS, bought from nds-gamer.com, a trusted reseller:
1Ymlidc.jpg

It has WOODR4 kernel 1.60 on it, and the current DORASU icon. However, my problems don't end there...

OuhrwM9.jpg

Clearly, we can see in the pic above that this is a Rev "C" card, marked on the PCB...

raGunL8.jpg

But the system kernel reports the card is a Rev "B" hardware. I couldn't update from the Metroid icon to the Deep Labyrinth icon, and now I still can't update from Dorasu to this update. Please tell me I don't have to wait for them to push the update for the Rev "B" cards...
Yep, i have the exact same problem as you have, same card, same fake info. So apparently this isn't the first time that this type of card is not supported? Kinda sucks, they don't gotta go tell you they have updates for every card when Nintendo pushes an update then...

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I have the very same card that you got but I could get the update to run at all so I had to buy a new one in the end.

The R4ids.cn team makes a decent cheap card for use if you still have a DSlite and it's nice that they're providing updates to get the card working on the latest 3DS firmware but asking you to open up the card and slice a line, that's not exactly an elegant solution and it only makes me wish I spent a little extra on the Supercard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work