Tutorial  Updated

Using Luma3DS + Gateway on B9S

SYSNAND-ONLY USERS: DO NOT BOOT GW MODE ON 11.3+ - YOU WILL LOSE B9S AND BE LEFT ON A STOCK FIRMWARE
I highly advise against the use of GW on SysNAND-Only Setups.
GW currently DOES NOT support firmwares 11.3//11.4 - B9S does not change that!
If you're on 11.3+ - Don't even try to use GW. Use Luma3DS or any other CFW that has confirmed support for 11.3+ firmwares.

Setting up GW with Luma3DS' chainloader

Requirements: SysNAND or EmuNAND on 11.2 or lower!
Tested and working on B9S 1.2 (Luma3DS 8.0)
  1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
  2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want. However, step 12 will assume v2gw.bin was used, you can edit that reference to meet whatever you decided to name it.
  4. Download GW's ‘arm9loaderhax.bin.zip‘ file.
    • On their main home page. Under the post titled: "GATEWAY 4.0B PRIVATE BETA #2"
    • Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
  5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  6. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "gateway.bin"
  7. Make sure you have the latest GW's Launcher.dat on the root of your SD Card.
  8. This dev-build of BootCTR9: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-3#post-7370533
  9. Extract the "boot.firm" file from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  10. Rename that very "boot.firm" you just extracted to "down_BootCTR9.firm" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
    - Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
  11. Extract the "boot_config.ini" file from from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to the root of your SD Card.
  12. Open the "boot_config.ini" file and overwrite everything with the following:
    Code:
    [BOOTCTR9]
    key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
    path = /luma/payloads/v2gw.bin
  13. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
    - SysNAND-Only Users on 11.2 will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND. DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON PROMPT ON 11.3+
    - GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

FAQ

Q: How do I boot into the GW Menu?
A: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

Q: Can I use my GW Blue Card?
A: Yes, but only while using Luma3DS. It will not work in GW Mode.

Q: Can I play online while in GW Mode?
A: Yes, sort-of. But you have to either:

Q: I'm getting a black screen!? HELP!?
A: Multiple reasons for that below:
  • Modified SecureInfo_A - GW does not patch this. You'll need an untouched donor file of this.
  • Using a RedNAND - GW only supports GW EmuNAND, it cannot boot RedNAND. Use the GW Menu or GodMode9 to make one.
  • On SysNAND-Only Setups - Not having properly removed EmuNAND//RedNAND. Use GodMode to properly format your SD Card. But I advise you set one up.
  • Trying to boot an 11.3//11.4 EmuNAND - GW does not support anything higher than 11.2
  • If it's not listed, then who knows. Do you have a modified Home Menu or font? Those might not work at all in GW Mode.

Credits

Many thanks to the above lovely people~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-booting-gw-with-b9s-and-some-help.471417/

I highly advise against the use of GW for SysNAND-Only setups.

11.3&11.4 Break GW. GW currently DOES NOT support 11.3 or 11.4. You will either brick or lose A9LH. More than likely it seems you will just lose A9LH.

Again, if you attempt to boot GW Mode, on a SYSNAND-Only Setup while on 11.3 or 11.4, you will lose A9LH. It does not matter if you safely updated to this firmware via another CFW that safely protects FIRM.

If you want to use 11.3+, you will not be able to use GW. Don't even try. Only use Luma3DS or other CFW that support 11.3+

If you are a Gateway3DS user, and have recently finished Plailect's A9LH Guide, then you should be on v2 A9LH. Unfortunately, at the time this thread was made, GW's a9lh.bin file is incompatible with Luma3DS' payload chainloading feature while on v2 A9LH.

So one way around this was to either forego using Luma3DS' payload chainloading, and use a boot manager that does work in initializing GW's a9lh.bin correctly. Like BootCTR9. Either you let BootCTR9 handle all payloads, or you set it up to chainload into Luma3DS and from there let Luma3DS do all the work.

Either way, some people might not like BootCTR9 (Big fan of BootCTR9, seriously thing is amazing~!)

So if you don't want to use the BootCTR9 method, then @Hayleia made a very stripped down boot manager that only loads /luma/payloads/gateway.bin. You still need GW's a9lh.bin in addition to this stripped down bootmanager, but that's all you need, these two files! No need for messy configs if you just want to stick with Luma3DS' payload chainloader.

Now on to the damn tutorials already~!

Gateway Logo

1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
However, if you are a SysNAND Only User, and on 11.1 and using the 4.2 Launcher.dat, you will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND.
GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

Notes: To Boot into the GW Menu: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.
To Force a Manual Gateway3DS RedCard Update: Hold R+Select as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

No Gateway Logo (Not Recommend - Only for those allergic to the dragon logo - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Notes: This version will de-init the screen by default, and as such you won't see the Gateway Logo. Don't worry it'll init once you land on the Home. Due to how this works, only GW EmuNAND users should consider using this. This is because SysNAND users will land on the SysNAND prompt nag.

1. Download the v2gw-de-init.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "v2gw.bin" from v2gw-de-init.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "v2gw2.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode without the Gateway Logo.

Tested on N3DS and O3DS by me, 2DS by @Hayleia.
Should work on either screen-init or non-screen-init v2 A9LH.

Important Note: Never update your SysNAND in Gateway Mode. It does not matter what Launcher.dat version you use, if you go ahead and update while in SysNAND Mode, you will either brick or lose A9LH+CFW and be on the latest stock firmware. This is because GW Mode does not offer FIRM protection in A9LH. Updating your GW EmuNAND is fine and safe, and is what Gateway actually recommends you do and use even when using A9LH.

!~Getting Black Screen After Dragon Logo and After Following This Guide~! (PLEASE READ)
Sounds like someone hasn't properly removed their EmuNAND//RedNAND with EmuNAND9. The Black Screen problem is common to people who skipped doing it properly and used a third-party tool like EaseUS or any other partition manager.

Since EmuNAND//RedNAND wasn't removed properly, traces were leftover and GW by default sees it, and tries to boot into this non-existent EmuNAND//RedNAND and fails. So how do we fix it? We use EmuNAND9 to preperly remove traces of it.

Part 5, Section V of the old A9LH guide covers this. However, I will list all relevant steps here.
Link: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_R...ax)#section-v---removing-rednand-from-your-sd

The new guide also sort of mentions if in this new page, and does show you how to setup EmuNAND9:
Link: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/move-emunand

Files we'll need:
Latest release of EmuNAND9: https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases/latest

1. Copy EmuNAND9.bin from the EmuNAND9.zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card and rename EmuNAND9.bin to y_EmuNAND9.bin
2. Backup every file on your SD card to a folder on your computer, all files will be deleted in the following steps
3. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
4. Hold (Y) at boot time to open EmuNAND9
5. Go to "SD Format Options...", then select the "Format SD (no EmuNAND)" option, and wait for it to finish
6. Press (B) to return to the menu, then press Select to safely eject your SD Card
7. Put your SD card back into your computer, and copy all the files you backed up previously, back into your SD Card
8. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS, then press (Start) to reboot

Additional Note: You will still have to look into BootCTR9 if for some reason you want GW to be the default, as opposed to Luma3DS. This tutorial is meant more for the people who want Luma3DS as their main//default, and want to use Luma3DS' payload chainloader to boot into GW Mode.
Go to the following link for the tutorial on setting up GW as your main with BootCTR9.
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/

All credits to @Hayleia for making both of these~! Thank you~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283

Attachments

• v2gw.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 12,153
  • v2gw-de-init.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,294
Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So i have SYSNAND 11.2 A9LH with Luma + GW payload (pressing down on boot) with my SYSNAND ever since migrating to A9LH.

What is the best way to set up a clean unlinked 11.2 EMUNAND?

I want to update to B9S so badly but GW is holding me back...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

thanks for the guide, all works flawlessly, bit now i have a quick question right now I only have games installed on sysnand and in the emunand only the ones on the gateway card, and also I have on both the same NNID, is this ok? or Its not safe and should unlink the nnid on the emunand and use another?
It would be wise to unlink it really, have a clean offline emuNAND seems like the way to go with GW right now.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So i have SYSNAND 11.2 A9LH with Luma + GW payload (pressing down on boot) with my SYSNAND ever since migrating to A9LH.

It would be wise to unlink it really, have a clean offline emuNAND seems like the way to go with GW right now.
Why? I have B9S with GW. So whats problem dood?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not really. Linked is the way to go. You can have the same games on both, and just copy your tickets back and forth. My little example configuration even has scripts to automate it (though it's outdated, I've almost completed the new version, and it has all 3 configurations merged -- the new one will allow you to switch chainloaders, and default payloads for the non-CFW ones, via GM9 scripts). And you can use manual DNS settings to avoid a nag (I like 168.235.092.108 and 081.004.127.020 -- they're for preventing Wii-U updates, but they work for 3DS too). Or just turn the wifi off before booting to your GW EmuNAND.

Still, if you really must unlink it, TinyFormat would be the way to go. There's a ROM version even (kind of useful for us GW owners -- no need to install something that's just going to get wiped out).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

ultimatepump

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I am a little confused and cautious about something of hoping you can help.

I am currently on Luma and I just want to know if I am able to safely have Gateway solely for an emunand just for when I feel like using the gateway cheat system for my games. If it helps, I am on the latest Luma and the n3ds boots into Luma just fine by itself as usual. I have my red gateway card and just not sure how to do this safely or if I even can.

PS,. I have no desire to go online or anything except the sole purpose of cheating with gateway on it's emunand.

Thanks a lot, and please don't rip me apart.

Last edited by ultimatepump,

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello,

I am a little confused and cautious about something of hoping you can help.

I am currently on Luma and I just want to know if I am able to safely have Gateway solely for an emunand just for when I feel like using the gateway cheat system for my games. If it helps, I am on the latest Luma and the n3ds boots into Luma just fine by itself as usual. I have my red gateway card and just not sure how to do this safely or if I even can.

PS,. I have no desire to go online or anything except the sole purpose of cheating with gateway on it's emunand.

Thanks a lot, and please don't rip me apart.
You can use it if you still on 11.2 (or lower- if lower then you need download update with nus grabber for 11.2) emunand frimwhere.
Do as this guide say

ultimatepump

Trophies
XP
Country
You can use it if you still on 11.2 (or lower- if lower then you need download update with nus grabber for 11.2) emunand frimwhere.
Do as this guide say

My Luma sysnand is on the latest. Can I use the gateway time machine and go back just for the gateway emunand? I am avoiding bricks so is it even possible to have a sysnand on one firmware and an emunand on another? I don't care about Gateway being on the latest firmware. Just so long as I can use it. I saw some tutorials but I'm confused how to safely dual boot.

Last edited by ultimatepump,

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
My Luma sysnand is on the latest. Can I use the gateway time machine and go back just for the gateway emunand? I am avoiding bricks so is it even possible to have a sysnand on one firmware and an emunand on another? I don't care about Gateway being on the latest firmware. Just so long as I can use it. I saw some tutorials but I'm confused how to safely dual boot.
>Can I use the gateway time machine and go back just for the gateway emunand?
I dont know. never used it.
>I am avoiding bricks so is it even possible to have a sysnand on one firmware and an emunand on another?
Yes, Unlink sysnand and emunand. Then you can have it

Reactions: ultimatepump

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OK, all that matters is that you have an EmuNAND on 11.2 or less (though they can be partially updated to 11.4, but that's another topic). It does not matter what your SysNAND is on. And no, you should avoid Time Machine like the plague. Just use 3DNUS to grab the 11.2 firmware and SysUpdater to downgrade your EmuNAND. And contrary to what you were just told, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having them linked. I highly encourage it actually. You do need to sync tickets after installing new software, but I include scripts for that with my AIO (not to mention a better way of doing this, because this uses an extra chainloader needlessly). That way you can run the GW cheat engine on the same games you play on your updated SysNAND (except for Ever Oasis and Echoes, and even those will work with a partially updated EmuNAND, it's just that the Echoes DLC will not). You'll need to update Luma and GM9 if you use my AIO configurations, and Cakes if you use it, but I don't think anything else has been updated in the past month.

I will be releasing a new version of my AIO soon that does everything via script. Switch default payloads -- make Gateway, Luma, or any other CFW the default payload at the drop of a hat (if using a real chainloader like BootCTR9 or CBM9). Switch chainloaders -- if you're loaning your device to a friend that's not familiar with the hotkeys, you can switch it to CBM9 so everything's menu-based. You can even switch exploits -- if you want to keep using something like 3DSafe, switch to B9S while playing games, then switch back to lock the system up before shutting it off, this can do it. Look for it. And expect a name change. That one's kind of bland after all.

>Can I use the gateway time machine and go back just for the gateway emunand?
I dont know. never used it.
>I am avoiding bricks so is it even possible to have a sysnand on one firmware and an emunand on another?
Yes, Unlink sysnand and emunand. Then you can have it

There's absolutely no reason for them to unlink. Unless they like installing the same games twice or something. Linked is the best way to do this, IMHO. You get the same games on both. And all it takes is a quick script to keep them synchronized. Which I include in my configurations. They're somewhat outdated and about to be replaced, but still, the only things that have been updated since it came out are Godmode9, Luma, and Cakes.

Reactions: ultimatepump

ultimatepump

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the great reply. Wllbi guess the gateway will have to stay in the drawer. Luma is on but at 11.5, do I don't think I can boot gateway.

megamaan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
If you have an EmuNAND on 11.2 or lower, then it doesn't matter what your SysNAND is on. GW will nag you if for some reason it doesn't detect your EmuNAND, at which point, it would be a pretty good idea to turn off the console and figure out what's wrong with your EmuNAND.

You'll need to update your EmuNAND to 11.2 via a Gamecart .rom dump or with sysUpgrader: https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases
You'll need to find an 11.2 firmware release pack on that chaos site. Or by downloading them with 3DNUS.

It's not really required, but some games probably won't boot until your at least on 11.2.

Whaaat? I thought that we have to stay on 11.2 or lower SysNAND? So I can update my SysNAND to 11.5, and leave my EmuNAND to older version? Is this correct?

ultimatepump

Trophies
XP
Country
YES, you can!
Lol, sorry. So, since I don't care what emunand I'm on, do I just get to the gateway menu with the loader on the card and create emunand or downgrade? Can I still do this evening though the sysnand Luma is 11.5?

Regards,

Village Idiot

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Lol, sorry. So, since I don't care what emunand I'm on, do I just get to the gateway menu with the loader on the card and create emunand or downgrade? Can I still do this evening though the sysnand Luma is 11.5?

Regards,

Village Idiot
1. If you have emunand backup or nand backup before 11.3 then you can.
2. If not then I think you can manually downgrade apps that break support of GW and it should work (Don't tested)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/
Here list of apps that break support.
So you need create emunand, unlink it from sysnand and install (downgrade this apps as cia) (Of course you need to do it in luma emunand, then GW should load without problems)
3. Make backup your sysnand, downgrade console by restoring your old sysnand backup (that you (should) make when you install Luma3ds), making emunand, restoring your current backup of your sysnand and do to emunand anything (unlink, update it with nus grabber, install games and play)
4. Make backup your sysnand, downgrade console, create emunand, unlink, restore sysnand

Choice is yours

Last edited by k7ra,

ultimatepump

Trophies
XP
Country
1. If you have emunand backup or nand backup before 11.3 then you can.
2. If not then I think you can manually downgrade apps that break support of GW and it should work (Don't tested)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/
Here list of apps that break support.
So you need create emunand, unlink it from sysnand and install (downgrade this apps as cia) (Of course you need to do it in luma emunand, then GW should load without problems)
3. Make backup your sysnand, downgrade console by restoring your old sysnand backup (that you (should) make when you install Luma3ds), making emunand, restoring your current backup of your sysnand and do to emunand anything (unlink, update it with nus grabber, install games and play)
4. Make backup your sysnand, downgrade console, create emunand, unlink, restore sysnand

Choice is yours
I don't know... I want to and I did back up the nand like the guide told me too but I'm scared I'm gonna brick it. That was a great explanation but I think I'm scared to try... Very wimpy. I like to experiment but can't afford a new 3DS if needed. It's really just for the cheat system of Gateway. I have the ntr cheats for Luma but it won't work on a few games I really want it to like Castlevania Virtual Console. I know it works on Virtual Console because it works on NES Zelda.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I don't know... I want to and I did back up the nand like the guide told me too but I'm scared I'm gonna brick it. That was a great explanation but I think I'm scared to try... Very wimpy. I like to experiment but can't afford a new 3DS if needed. It's really just for the cheat system of Gateway. I have the ntr cheats for Luma but it won't work on a few games I really want it to like Castlevania Virtual Console. I know it works on Virtual Console because it works on NES Zelda.
Restoring nand is not downgrade, so you would not brick
I after installing Luma3ds and updating my console to last fw 11.0 (if I remember right) create emunand for my GW-Luma and restore console to original state.
So my sysnand clean how it was when I buy console and I use only emunand.
But anytime I can install fbi again and update my console for fastest luma usage (To state that you want)
So it's the same with you, but you don't need factory emunand.
For you it would little easy, because you already have old sysnand

Last edited by k7ra,

ultimatepump

Trophies
XP
Country
You know? Just so I can stop being nerotic about all this. Can someone please try and see if the cheat menu pops up on select with Castlevania?

I made the plug-in but won't do anything. No pop up

I wish we all lived close by to help each other personally

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-