Hacking gateway GW3D 11.10 (B9S AND CFW)

7gyufwf_sd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The file can't be shared here.
Ok. I've done 9.2 CTRTransfer now.

Now, I have Sys 11.15.0-47U and Emu 11.1.0-34U.

I have autoboot emunand checked.

Here's a dumb question - how do I turn the Emu 11.1.0-34U to GW3D 11.1.0-34U? Because if I reboot while holding start, I just get to godmode9 like usual (with launcher.dat you gave me in sd). Seems like there's a gateway installation/exploit stage that I haven't done :rofl:

Edit: I'm so dumb - I'm supposed to follow those instriuctions but on emuNAND rather than sysNAND. Will be doing that again CORRECTLY....

Edit 2: NOW I have Sys 11.15.0-47U and Emu 9.2.0-20U. Same question applies still.

NEVERMIND - I GOT IT!!! Had to click bootctr9 on chainloader. Cheers Lacius!

Last edited by 7gyufwf_sd,

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not ready to try this yet but I have a few questions.
  1. What happens if the 3DS is powered on without the SD card in place? Would Gateway boot SysNAND and SysNAND erase the bootloader?
  2. Is there any scenario in which Gateway started this way can boot SysNAND? Back in the old days Gateway would sometimes reboot into SysNAND. iirc this would happen if you opened the Settings app, or maybe a certain part of the Settings app.
  3. If I'm already using Luma EmuNAND, would this method allow me to use that same EmuNAND in Gateway Mode?

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm not ready to try this yet but I have a few questions.
  1. What happens if the 3DS is powered on without the SD card in place? Would Gateway boot SysNAND and SysNAND erase the bootloader?
  2. Is there any scenario in which Gateway started this way can boot SysNAND? Back in the old days Gateway would sometimes reboot into SysNAND. iirc this would happen if you opened the Settings app, or maybe a certain part of the Settings app.
  3. If I'm already using Luma EmuNAND, would this method allow me to use that same EmuNAND in Gateway Mode?
1.Gateway boot only where it was installed. It's should be emunand. SysNAND not erase anything. And without sd card you would not boot it.
2.If you injected luma loader then you can boot in sysnand without card or get error. Gateway boot only where it was installed. It's should be emunand. Yes, you can be frown out to sysnand with franklinfw.
3. Yes, I use it for both in last oficial supported gw fw. Try installed last franklinfw and luma emunand stop - no more worked, so I choose lower fw back. Don't see any reason to upgrade it...

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
you can be frown out to sysnand with franklinfw.

So if I have a full emuNAND fw 11.4, there’s no known risks? I don’t think it’s frankinfw but I’m not sure how to check.

My sysNAND is on 11.6 for some reason, which is new enough to wipe out B9S if it gets write access to the bootloader.

I have older backups but I probably needed 11.4 and 11.6 for something.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So if I have a full emuNAND fw 11.4, there’s no known risks? I don’t think it’s frankinfw but I’m not sure how to check.

My sysNAND is on 11.6 for some reason, which is new enough to wipe out B9S if it gets write access to the bootloader.

I have older backups but I probably needed 11.4 and 11.6 for something.
My sysnand on 11.6 too, it's doesn't matter. It would not get acsess to bootloader. Only if you do something with it yourself.
On 11.4 can be installed only frankinfw. Last supported cfw for gw was 11.2, if gw boot on higher fw than it's frankinfw.

lazyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hello fellow gateway users, good to see there are still dozens of us here.
My last post was almost 2 years ago after checking my post, and I'm thinking of maybe updating my 3ds if it's easy and hassle free (relatively speaking).

A recap of what I did since I posted at the time is that my main new 3ds is on sysnand 9,2 with b9s/luma to boot into emunand 11.2.
Has there been any differences/updates to the boot process when updating to 11.14? I think I never bothered updating to 11.10 at the time because 'everything worked' except overclocking and whatnot.

I have a secondary japanese new 3ds that I never updated. it's on sysnand 9.x and boots to emunand 10.x. I never did the godmode stuff on it and i still use the 'hold L shoulder button' to boot into homebrew launcher method. I'm thinking of ditching gateway and updating the 3ds to whatever the latest fw is and doing the 'vanilla' hack and using it like everyone else.
If I go thru with this, can I just boot into sysnand and update via wifi without problems? I don't remember if there's any issues with the old menu modifications/exploit to get gateway to boot that affects the firmware update.
Just wanted other gateway users in 2022's opinion on this since there's no way on going back if I do this.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
A recap of what I did since I posted at the time is that my main new 3ds is on sysnand 9,2 with b9s/luma to boot into emunand 11.2.
Hurray for EmuNAND. Before you update, consider converting your Gateway saves to system saves using JK's Save Manager or a tool of your choice.

Has there been any differences/updates to the boot process when updating to 11.14?
It's 11.15 now. The main difference is that since 11.3 the Nintendo firmware can overwrite your B9S bootloader if it gets the opportunity to. The way it can get this opportunity is if you run 11.3 or above in Gateway Mode. Do not do that. Also Gateway Mode doesn't support firmwares above 11.2. I'm not entirely sure how those two things interact. There's a lot of conflicting information on the forums.

can I just boot into sysnand and update via wifi without problems?
Yes, if you've got B9S that works fine. Before enabling Wi-Fi, make sure you aren't doing anything silly like sharing your activity with Nintendo, or letting Luma change the firmware name. You can also update to a specific firmware using a cart.

Make sure you still have your old NAND back-ups and consider doing new ones if there's changes you might want to keep. Once you get access to eShop consider downloading Pokemon Picross and make sure you have at least one Mii. These are useful to re-hack, so best to have them before eShop shuts down. You might also want Pokemon Bank.

Check the info at http://3ds.guide, and make sure Luma is up to date as older versions can't boot 11.14 or newer.

I still think Gateway is useful, as playing .3ds ROMs is convenient. It's a shame that Luma won't add support for 3DS flashcarts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto