Tutorial  Updated

How to Play Games Online Before 11.4 Without Ctr Httpwn (CFW needed)

Now some of you may be refusing to update because maybe you want to keep NTR streaming, perhaps you have a Gateway emuNAND, or you're just stubborn.
Recommended(blue is required):
  • A (new)3DS that has arm9 access (emuNAND, A9LH, etc..)
  • A custom firmware with the ability to install and run unsigned cias ... preferably Luma
  • NAND dumping tool: Decrypt9/Hourglass9
  • 11.0 or higher is recommended, I haven't tested on anything below and I'm not sure if it will work.
  • FBI
  • 3DSNUS
Firstly, you want to create a NAND backup with hourglass9, or any tool that let's you dump your NAND. You want to do this in case something goes terribly wrong. You are going to be installing a title into your NAND, so it's a good practice to keep regular backups so you could always roll back. This is recommended, but not required.
Once that's all good, you can go to your computer and backup your NAND.bin to your computer, then download 3DSNUS.
Once it's downloaded, extract it into a folder you know the location of so that you can get to it easily. Then you run it, and inside the textbox, you want to enter in
11.4.0-37X where X is the region of your console. You can check the region from System Settings. For this tutorial, I'll be downloading EUR, so I can use it on my European emuNAND.
upload_2017-4-25_23-38-13.png

Make sure that "Pack as CIA" and your type of 3DS is selected. Click BEGIN DOWNLOAD and give it a couple minutes as it downloads the entire 11.4 update to the folder you created. You have to download the entire update since I couldn't out how to individually download titles with this, so please bare with me.
Once it's done downloading, you should see a new folder titled 11.4.0-37X , (X is the region) go in the folder, and find '0004013000003202.cia' copy that file into a easy to find location on your 3DS' SD card.

Next, you want to install the CIA you just placed with FBI. If it errors, try again. If you somehow brick, make sure the .cia isn't corrupted and flash back a NAND dump.

When it succeeds, reboot your 3DS and you should be able to play online without having to update or use ctr-httpwn.
Please don't hold me accountable for lost/stolen/bricked/blown up 3DS's, you're following this guide at your own risk.

Also, this guide isn't recommended since it's called Frankenfirmware, but this allows you to go online without launching anything extra, so it's your choice if you want a couple less steps to play Pokemon online.

An alternative method for Luma 3DS users would be to just update Luma to 7.0+ by using Luma Updater

Last edited by RyDog,

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this be useful in go into the eShop without ctr-httpwn or is it just useful for playing online?
it's useful to play online, but I think eShop might just check if its own version is the latest, so you might get away with updating eShop too. It's titleID can be found here
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

Reactions: KunoichiZ

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wtf? So if I update to 11.4 on Luma I wont be able to play online??
Update to 11.4 if you want to officially play online. This guide is for those who don't want to update because of other reasons since Nintendo started forcing people to update again.

D

Deleted-401606

Update to 11.4 if you want to officially play online. This guide is for those who don't want to update because of other reasons since Nintendo started forcing people to update again.

How do they force you to update?Like the Wii U where if you dont block the ports it auto updates?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe Luma allows for online play on old firmwares, because I was just able to access the online Festival Plaza on my a9lh+Luma 7.0.2 11.3 n3DS without having to use ctr-httpwn.

Reactions: proflayton123

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hopefully something will fix this for non A9LH users. I do not wish to use arm 9 hacks and I am currently awaiting an update. No criticism towards this at all. It's really neat. I just prefer my menuhax the way it is. :) no sense in changing it if it works well.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hopefully something will fix this for non A9LH users. I do not wish to use arm 9 hacks and I am currently awaiting an update. No criticism towards this at all. It's really neat. I just prefer my menuhax the way it is. :) no sense in changing it if it works well.
This will also work with menuhax as long as you use it to boot a CFW like Luma that allows installation of CIA's. But be aware that you won't have brick protection if something goes wrong with the installation. Therefore A9LH is highly recommended.

Last edited by petspeed, , Reason: Typo

Emenaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks for the tutorial but I have a question. It has to be sysUpdater? I mean, can't I just use FBI to install 0004013000003202.cia instead?

Last edited by Emenaria,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's worth mentioning that the CIA this guide tells you to install is the friends system-module. It will allow you to play online, but it won't allow you to use anything that requires a NNID login (if/when Nintendo updates the version check for NNID login to the latest version, not sure if they have done that yet), such as the eShop.
You shouldn't need sysUpdater/sysDowngrader to install this. As far as I know BigBlueMenu won't work because it's unable to downgrade titles, but an old version of DevMenu (not recommended) and the latest FBI should both work.

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not just load ctr-httpwn and play online regardless of FW version?
Because you have to launch it whenever you want to play online.
Apparently Luma 7.0+ patches something that allows online without updating, I'll add that as an option, but this guide was kind of targeting GW users.

And yeah, FBI is a better option, I didn't know it could install system titles, I'll update the guide in a bit to use that instead.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Try it with smash bros or pokemon sumo pls. Tell me if it works for you.
I believe Luma allows for online play on old firmwares, because I was just able to access the online Festival Plaza on my a9lh+Luma 7.0.2 11.3 n3DS without having to use ctr-httpwn.
I already gave my thoughts on Sun/Moon. And it works flawlessly in Smash. You're doing something wrong then. :/

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over