Hacking [Tutorial] Importing and Exporting VC DS Saves (testing needed)

Deleted member 391145

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Importing and Exporting DS Saves from VC

What this Tutorial is for:
Importing and exporting saves from the DS VC from or to .sav files.
.sav are used by most emulators and flashcards.

Importing saves to the VC
1. Start the VC game and save it
2. On your PC, go to the save folder of the VC (ex. SD:\wiiu\saves\DS VC\80000001)
3. Delete all .state files in there
4. You now should have a .save file there. Note down its name and delete it.
5. Take your .sav you want to inject, rename it to the name of the .save (extension included!)
6. Once you boot the game, your save should be there.

Exporting saves from the VC
1. On your PC, go to the save folder of the VC (ex. SD:\wiiu\saves\DS VC\80000001)
2. Copy the .save and rename it if you want
3. Change the extension of the copy from .save to .sav.

As already in the title, this needs testing.

Please answer to this thread telling me if it worked or not!
zeron88: Pokemon Platinum (Import and Export) (DeSmuMe)
FlimFlam69: Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (Import and Export) (DeSmuMe)

Last edited by Deleted member 391145,

JV1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested this out with Tomodachi Collection(Legit JAP ONLY cart for NDS), and it works.

The DS VC was the fan-made English version(patched from v1.1), and copied that save directly to the cart(which was a v1.0 copy). Strange how that was compatible. Never knew I could use a later version's release in an older version. Not certain for other titles, but this one was what I used. And yes, I saved a back-up of my original save before transferring the Wii U version directly to the NDS cart via TWLSaveTool...incase of a technical hiccup. Thankfully, it worked.

Thanks.

Fener1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello dear people I have a problem I have followed the instructions if someone has tested pokemon platinum please ask for help
because I tried it it did not work if someone had done it please report how he did it because with me it is not done with the nerves
I thank you in advance

XularusXIII

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried this with Etrian Odyssey and the game just hangs when I try to boot it afterward. I have the game installed on USB, and I replaced the save file there, but is there a file to replace on my SD, as well?

Reactions: MG4M3R

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Test with Pokémon SoulSilver with PT-BR patch Translate, IT'S WORK !! Thank so much xD

Now i can transfer all my Pokemon in Diamond to SoulSilver when i'm playing on Wii U with DeSmume ( I Hope i can transfer with local DeSmume or Wiimmfi servers ) and keep playing SoulSilver on Wii U with all my Pokemon

PS: I Use SaveMii to Backup my Pokémon SoulSilver ( Inject DSVC ) save file and i got test on DeSmume with your tutorial and work, maybe i can use the R4 on My DS Lite save file on Wii U Now

PS: Sorry for my English, Brazilian here.

Last edited by Moon164,

PlantedWave5190

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded a .duc file from GameFAQs, so I need help converting it into a supported .sav file for my game that has been downloaded on my Wii U.
What should I do?

javierxt93

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I downloaded a .duc file from GameFAQs, so I need help converting it into a supported .sav file for my game that has been downloaded on my Wii U.
What should I do?

after a lots of tries, i used shunyweb to convert from .duc file to a .sav file of 64kb (acekard rpg / ez flash v / raw format / force 64kb (.sav) ) because the .save file of phoenix wright trials and tribulations was of 64kb and it works perfect

sorry for my english, spanish here

Robertuxo

Trophies
XP
Country
Running in Advance Wars Dual Strike. Use Desmume, in the I gave Import Battery and Sav Raw format, then I followed the injection tutorial as put here, injecting with SaveMii Mod and it works on WiiU.

Gamerstermaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me figure out what im doing wrong here? I have tried h3x editing, converting the save and just changing the extension and nothing has worked. I have tried Pokemon Platinum and Chrono Trigger and they both don't work. What am I doing wrong? :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can someone help me figure out what im doing wrong here? I have tried h3x editing, converting the save and just changing the extension and nothing has worked. I have tried Pokemon Platinum and Chrono Trigger and they both don't work. What am I doing wrong? :(
Note Im using a save I extracted from a real cartridge using checkpoint HB software on 3DS. The format is .sav trying to convert it to the .save file format that the Wii U uses.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Note Im using a save I extracted from a real cartridge using checkpoint HB software on 3DS. The format is .sav trying to convert it to the .save file format that the Wii U uses.

Did you make a save on the Wii U and follow the instructions in post #1?

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So I was hoping to make an updated tutorial on this once I had tried it out, since the original one is pretty barebones. But I simply can't get this to work and would like some help. I am trying to get Pokémon Platinum to work with both methods.

What works: Exporting saves from the VC

I was able to easily extract my savefile using SaveMii Mod and by "converting" the file as per the instructions, I got it working in DeSmumE no problem. FTPiiU also works for this purpose.

What doesn't work: Importing saves to the VC (Finally got this to work, check couple post below)

The idea here is to be able to import back the .sav file that I have progressed on using DeSmumE, not just any savefile.All of my testing done so far seems to reveal that the actual import on the Wii U side of things works just fine. SaveMii Mod can backup, restore and wipe the save data from the game no problem. But no matter what I try, the restored save data is the exact same one that I originally extracted from the Wii U. There is no progress from my time playing on DeSmumE at all:/ This eventually lead me to believe that the actual problem is the DeSmumE savefile.

I have tried so many things now that's it's hard to keep count, but here's a couple of notes:

You cannot convert and import back the original save file that you extracted, because even though DeSmumE can read the file, the actual progress is not saved to this file. Instead, it is saved to a .dsv file in the same folder (which I thought was not convert-able). Supposedly though, you can actually export a .sav file from DeSmumE by opening your game and selecting "export backup Memory". While this works, strangely enough, this looks like it just extracts a copy of the original save file you converted, because there is no progress on this file either. Dead End.

Since the progress is definitely saved to the .dsv file, the last thing I tried was to make a copy of this file, change the filename and extension appropriately and import the save file using SaveMii Mod. While this also works, AGAIN, there is NO progress from playing on DeSmumE.

I am out of ideas and this point and desperately wants this to work. If anyone has gotten this to work, please respond.

Last edited by XaneTenshi,

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
So I was hoping to make an updated tutorial on this once I had tried it out, since the original one is pretty barebones. But I simply can't get this to work and would like some help. I am trying to get Pokémon Platinum to work with both methods.

I was able to easily extract my savefile using SaveMii Mod and by "converting" the file as per the instructions, I got it working in DeSmumE no problem. FTPiiU also works for this purpose.

What doesn't work: Importing saves to the VC

The idea here is to be able to import back the .sav file that I have progressed on using DeSmumE, not just any savefile.All of my testing done so far seems to reveal that the actual import on the Wii U side of things works just fine. SaveMii Mod can backup, restore and wipe the save data from the game no problem. But no matter what I try, the restored save data is the exact same one that I originally extracted from the Wii U. There is no progress from my time playing on DeSmumE at all:/ This eventually lead me to believe that the actual problem is the DeSmumE savefile.

I have tried so many things now that's it's hard to keep count, but here's a couple of notes:

You cannot convert and import back the original save file that you extracted, because even though DeSmumE can read the file, the actual progress is not saved to this file. Instead, it is saved to a .dsv file in the same folder (which I thought was not convert-able). Supposedly though, you can actually export a .sav file from DeSmumE by opening your game and selecting "export backup Memory". While this works, strangely enough, this looks like it just extracts a copy of the original save file you converted, because there is no progress on this file either. Dead End.

Since the progress is definitely saved to the .dsv file, the last thing I tried was to make a copy of this file, change the filename and extension appropriately and import the save file using SaveMii Mod. While this also works, AGAIN, there is NO progress from playing on DeSmumE.

I am out of ideas and this point and desperately wants this to work. If anyone has gotten this to work, please respond.
Check the size of both files, the .dsv from DeSmume and the .saves backup made with SaveMii, this will give you a hint if you have a correct exported save file in .sav format.
One important step. Delete the save file from the Wii U app SaveMii before restoring the backup (the save file progress in DeSmume).

Reactions: XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Check the size of both files, the .dsv from DeSmume and the .saves backup made with SaveMii, this will give you a hint if you have a correct exported save file in .sav format.
One important step. Delete the save file from the Wii U app SaveMii before restoring the backup (the save file progress in DeSmume).

Thanks for the reply. The .dsv file and the .save file isn't the exact same size. The .dsv file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger. That's why using that file was a last resort.

I have already tried both replacing the save file aswell as wiping all save data with both SaveMii Mod and FTPiiU. Same issue.

I'm going to try and and export the save data from desmume again. It makes zero sense to me that the export option would simply create a copy of the .sav file I originally converted for use with desmume and not create a backup copy of the .dsv file in a .sav format which contains the newest progress.

EDIT: At last, I finally got this working! After exporting the .sav file again using desmume, I used the exported savefile with desmume to check if the progress had really been saved to this file or not. It was actually saved, like it it supposed to.

I then converted the file and transferred the .save file to my SD Card, made sure to wipe all savedata first with SaveMii Mod and only then restore the backup. This worked. I guess I must have simply tried to replace the existing savefile back when I first tried to restore the exported savefile, and that didn't work.

Last edited by XaneTenshi,

Gamerstermaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What doesn't work: Importing saves to the VC (Finally got this to work, check couple post below)

So Im stuck on how you were able to extract your save with Save Mii Mod. I can understand if the VC games where purchases from the Eshop however im dealing with DS VC injections. Meaning I made my own installs for DS games that aren't available on the eshop like Pokemon Platinum. The saves are not on the SD card they are on the console. Yet Save Mii doesn't see the game at all. wtf am I doing wrong here?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is a little misleading. I've only tested a couple games, and the saves for the ds vc are 8KBs. compare that with the 512KB save of the supercard dstwo. it's almost all padded with 0s. using the save, without trimming, will result in the save being deleted and new one being created in its place. iirc, it won't even say the save is corrupt; it will just ignore it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1