ROM Hack [Translation] Labyrinth no Kanata (Beyond the Labyrinth)

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey

I just get a rom of Labyrinth No Kanata
I applied the ENG patch, then i put my personnal header and put a .3dz extension.

I launched the game and had a message about the fan translation, but the game does not look like what it's supposed to be. I 'm playing a kind of old Etrian Odissey while Labyrinth no kanata is supposed to be that : https://www.google.fr/search?q=Laby...AgQ_AUoAmoVChMInazYn_SAyQIVgbYUCh1-nQiO&dpr=1

wtf happenede lulz ?

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a header. That just complicates things. Anyway, the patch wouldn't work if you didn't have the right game. Basically it is a first person view thing where you go through a dungeon with that girl following. The screenshots are looking around and focusing a lot on her since she's kind of central to the game's nature and story.

BTW, in that search I ran across a page with images like these:
1323746154_beyond-the-labyrinth-4ee617ee1f929.jpg
1323746154_beyond-the-labyrinth-4ee617f1afd48.jpg

Is this editor something I just haven't gotten to yet or what? How does one do that? I think it would be kind of neat.

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by koyuki38,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The rom is the good one.
The game is supposed to "look bad" and "something happen" later...like... just play 5 mins! is that too hard to play a game for more than 5 min ? play 1 hour to see if you like a game, not 1 min.

The game is NOT a multiplayer.
the game is "faking a multiplayer", but the other players are actually the game's script.
It's just acting like if you were playing a dungeon game online, but the 3DS game is offline.

Never heard of this style? "fake MMO" games?
a good example is Hack//Sign games, they are offline games but with a very good immersion and feeling of being online.

The costume design menu is unlocked later in the game (like half way, I think world 6 or 7)
there are around 20 pre-defined designs. You can make your own but I never bothered, the default are good enough.

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah thx, i was expecting something like that, but i just played 4 min instead of 5 :D

Yes, i understood that the others players during the begining were IA, but i thought it was part of the tutorial.
I really get a message saying the game was multiplayer (even if it's a false info)

Last edited by koyuki38,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you get the multiplayer message.
that could sound confusing, but seeing you get other player to join your party even with Wifi OFF is a good way to tell it's part of the story :P

it's still a dungeon crawler, even after meeting the girl. If you don't like crawlers then you probably will not like it.
the controlls get better after meeting the girl, you can move more freely and faster.
Though, I don't like Etrian Odissey, but I liked Kanata. The battle system is nice and make it feel more active battle than the other crawler games.

It's very easy at the beginning, just rock-paper-scissor, but later it gets more complicated when you have to deal with recovering HP or blocking attack, preventing the girl from being hit, calculating the attack order to do major damage with the girl, etc.
Easy and quite tricky at times.

My opinion on that game after completing it:
- I liked the game, but found some part very long. especially moving around, I wish we could run or move faster when doing back tracking. That's taking like 10-15min to go through one old empty world... x__x
- Too bad there's no real interaction with the girl. not even trying to talk to her with gesture, or tell her which monster to attack instead of her targeting the wrong one etc. (she can see the 4 players, but can't hear them. Why not write things in front of her?)
- Girl's dialog not logged can be hard to follow
- very poor ending

- Nice visual
- Good battle system, easy rule but battle can be hard.

Reactions: koyuki38

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The only DC i played were etrian odyssey and Orc and Elves on DS (that was an unexpected fucking good game)

but the beginning of Laby no kana is clearly not a good game lol. Is is slow, bad inputs, and the fights are just "what did i just do on this turn ?"

I know how the game looks like, but i just hope that fights are not "what did i do just right now" on each turn :D

Last edited by koyuki38,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
battle system will become a lot better when you understand it.
battle abilities will be unlocked little by little (the girl start attacking at 1HP per attack, but will end doing 16000 HP per hit, a lot more than the player's power)

Reactions: koyuki38

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
so, what i have undestood for now is that green char deals 2x damages to blue (pokemon Grass > Water yay) and other rock paper scisor

I guess each character can normal attack and strong attack but the strong attack delays the next turn of this char. I'm not really sure about that anyway.

D

Deleted User

I would also like to play this game :c I hope there's a way to use this translation with HANS.

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fine. I finally met with my waifu

I don't know how HANS works, but if you can run roms, you can apply platch on it.

What is the best difficulty to enjoy the game ?

Last edited by koyuki38,
Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rock > paper > scissor > rock
red > green > blue > red

You can see the little symbol at the top right of your players.
they are not looking very good, but they are hand models.

When the element is stronger, it deals twice the damages, AND it generates HP bank.
when the element is the same, it deals normal damages.
when the element is weaker, it deals half the damages.

If there's a HP amount in the "bank" for the current (enemies or players) element, it will absorb it to recover HP.

Additional attack power adds 10 turns.
At the start of the game you can only do power1 or 2, but it can be upgraded up to power10 (100 turns to wait to play again)
selecting the power will need to be both for dealt HP to the enemies, but also to place yourself correctly in the attack history to prevent enemies recovering HPs from the bank.

Colors are not the only battle options, there will later be Magic gathering for the girl.
Each attack will add or multiply a value to the girl's power. the girl will then deal that amount x her HP % to the enemies.

If you gathered 4000 MP, and the girl has 50% HP, she will deal 2000HP damage to the enemies.
You have best interest at keeping her safe so she will deal 100% damage (4000HP)
To do that, you will unlock later another feature : Shield. to shield the girl, you will have to dedicate a player with a stronger color than the attacking enemies to shield her or you and the girl will suffer damage.

Each battle will require you to manage both attacking order and strength, shielding the girl, HP gathering, preventing enemies from recovering HP, increasing girl's MP as much as possible.

At first, I thought the girl wasn't very useful, but she is the one doing the major damages. You will have to protect her as much as possible.
the girl becomes more powerful at each killed enemies.
1 kill = +10 max MP
A little more than 16 000 MP can be achieve at the end of the game.

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
wow 10 turns. It seems it was only 1 turn in the tutorial

Let's see 1 step at time.
For now i just restarted a game because i discovered that there is subtitle for the girl's voice :gba:

Last edited by koyuki38,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
a suggestion :
later, when you can change the player's color, Keep your players color in that order : red > green > blue
It will be a VERY good hint to quickly know which player to switch as protection for the girl.
when enemies attack, you have less than a second to react, keeping the colors in strong>weak order is a lot easier to remember the rock-paper-scissor order.

I played the game with normal difficulty.
It was hard enough for me.
Took me 70H to complete the game at 100%. can be a lot faster if you skip battles.

edit:
Yeah, subtitle for the girl is needed :P
Too bad the girl's text is not logged to the screen like the other players. sometime I miss what she's saying...

I may have spoiled a little, as the battle power are unlocked little by little, but it was to explain the full battle system.
I hope I didn't kill the player's surprise.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
a good example is Hack//Sign games, they are offline games but with a very good immersion and feeling of being online.
I really wanted to love the .hack games (not .hack//SIGN, that was the anime that preceeded these games and set the stage) but no, they were not immersive and didn't feel like an online game at all...

The costume design menu is unlocked later in the game (like half way, I think world 6 or 7)
there are around 20 pre-defined designs. You can make your own but I never bothered, the default are good enough.
Thanks. I mostly liked that you could change her hair. I just never liked silver/white hair on characters. I've been kind of taking the game slowly I'll admit and hadn't been playing much. I started over in Rune Factory 4 once the undub came out (though still very disappointed that the original voices are still just plain wrong. They're far better than that awful dub, but still overall a mediocre job on the part of the developers compared to the NDS games and even ToD which almost wasn't even a real Rune Factory but still had great voices in the original.)

- Too bad there's no real interaction with the girl. not even trying to talk to her with gesture, or tell her which monster to attack instead of her targeting the wrong one etc. (she can see the 4 players, but can't hear them. Why not write things in front of her?)
That has always driven me absolutely nuts! I mean, you know she can tell if you move up or down and left or right, so she could tell if you shake or nod or something for instance. Heck, maybe the magic could be manipulated in such a way as to have meaning, lol. This whole completely one-sided thing is really annoying.

so, what i have undestood for now is that green char deals 2x damages to blue (pokemon Grass > Water yay) and other rock paper scisor

I guess each character can normal attack and strong attack but the strong attack delays the next turn of this char. I'm not really sure about that anyway.
For me the easiest way to remember is colors (in light -- paint is different since it works the opposite way) are always listed in order of red, green, blue -- RGB. This is the same order the game uses, so it works perfectly to just remember RGB. Red does double damage to green, green does double damage to blue, and blue wraps around and does double damage to red, so just RGB over and over.

As far as timing goes, basically the more power you put into each attack, the longer it will take to recover from the attack so to speak. So sometimes you'll want to have one person do a big attack so it takes longer and they'll come around after an enemy with someone else doing a small attack so they come right before. In particular, since enemies can steal any accumulated color energy too, you'll want someone to grab that energy before they can get it if you have any enemies of the appropriate color. I think you can see the obvious strategy this encourages.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fine. I finally met with my waifu

I don't know how HANS works, but if you can run roms, you can apply platch on it.

What is the best difficulty to enjoy the game ?
hans can patch games on the fly(while playing them) allowing you to use romhacks on legally purchased games, but it uses a .romfs file instead of an entire rom.
people who rely on hans do so because they don't have a way to run pre-patched roms.

edit: as far as i can tell the game needs to be decrypted before you can extract the files needed for hans.
for decrypting you need the game's xorpad, which you can't get to when your 3DS is fully updated running a 2.5 hax.

so someone who doesn't rely on hans will first need to extract the romfs.bin from the patched and unpatched roms, and then generate an xdelta patch.
alternatively i think sharing the xorpad to decrypt the patched rom would work too, but i don't know about the legality of this.

Last edited by thedicemaster,

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nobody took the hint from my previous post so here's a proper request:

could someone with cfw please extract the romfs of both the patched and unpatched roms and create an xdelta patch for just the romfs?

edit: still no hans-compatible patch, but it wouldn't work yet anyway because this game isn't compatible with the HBL title selector.

Last edited by thedicemaster,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol