ROM Hack Translation Star Ocean The Second Story R Name and Honorifics restoration patch

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.4
- Fixed all instances of Leon using "Dude" (oniichan)
- Fixed my mistake (Instead of being called hakase, Leon was called sensei in the subtitles - now it's Dr. Leon as in other cases where characters are called Name-hakase)
- Ninay replaced with <SYS=NPCNAME_130> (Ninay-san) as in the original script
- Applied the dialogue fix from attached image (credits: エニ)
imho any translation, even if it sucks, is better than no translation if you can't read the starting language. But who the hell translates oniichan to dude.
Thank you for what you're doing :bow:

Reactions: k7ra and rsc-pl

Roamini

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed during my playthrough of the fort defense that Leon refers to one of the characters with a JP oneechan suffix instead of the Romanized equivalent. I can't type the proper words since the forum thinks IME is a URL.

Edit: I only saw one other one where Leon calls Claude oniisan in JP in a PA before clear. All in all, I really like the mod, and I will definitely grab any updates in the future. Thanks for creating it.

12-23-23: I've been noticing more instances on my second playthrough. Most of the ones I see involve PA's with the most recent being Eleanor's side quest on Rena's playthrough. Not sure if this post is out of hand, but I figure it's better than an actual double post.

Last edited by Roamini,
Reactions: rsc-pl

Final Fantasy Lover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@
V0.26 (09.11.2023)
- added missing NPC honorifics
- a minor edit of a few sentences

Side Note:
Windows version is encrypted. I don't know if it's Denuvo's fault (which the Windows version has) or something else, but until someone does something about it, the mod will only be compatible with the Nintendo Switch version.
About the win ver search on github SO2RDecrypt tool or look at the user called dial0 he have a working tool to access the assets and such and with use with conjunction for UABEA

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
v0.45 (18.03.2024)
- Fixed (hopefully) everything with Nall's name. Different people address him differently. The suffix -san was also mostly missing. I didn't change it directly in the text, but restored the system names from the original script, which I had already corrected. E.g. <SYS=NPCNAME_111>.
- Centropolis changed to Central City (it's lietrally セントラルシティ)
- Some minor changes to the dialogues. Like 逃げてちゃなんにも変わらない…か。 was "huh." in English script.
- Fixed a bug that caused some honorifics like "oneechan" (お姉ちゃん) used by some people to be displayed in the original language instead of romanized version.

@

About the win ver search on github SO2RDecrypt tool or look at the user called dial0 he have a working tool to access the assets and such and with use with conjunction for UABEA
Unfortunately I can't find it either on google or github. On top of that, unfortunately, I don't have the game purchased on Steam (I only have the boxed version for Switch), so I don't have a way to check it.

Edit, I found. It's called SO2Rcrypt. But still, without the game on steam, I can't do anything.
If you have access to the files from the PC version, you can try swapping them. The file structure of the translation files should be identical.

I noticed during my playthrough of the fort defense that Leon refers to one of the characters with a JP oneechan suffix instead of the Romanized equivalent. I can't type the proper words since the forum thinks IME is a URL.

Edit: I only saw one other one where Leon calls Claude oniisan in JP in a PA before clear. All in all, I really like the mod, and I will definitely grab any updates in the future. Thanks for creating it.

12-23-23: I've been noticing more instances on my second playthrough. Most of the ones I see involve PA's with the most recent being Eleanor's side quest on Rena's playthrough. Not sure if this post is out of hand, but I figure it's better than an actual double post.
I didn't notice your post.
Thanks, corrected.

Last edited by rsc-pl,

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
can it works with the new or lastest update version v.1.1.0 US version?
Yes and no.
There are many things that can broke stuff, because string arrays are altered.
I'll make an update later. Thanks God for WinMerge existence. All following patch updates will be only compatible with 1.1 update.
Post automatically merged:

v0.5 (30.03.2024) - Major update. Requires v1.1
- merged all changes from 1.1 update (text additions, displayed "face" emotions etc)
- changed fanfic to doujin
- re-translated some doujin descriptions, because some of them were completely different in original script, restored original doujin symbols
- changed censored item name and description - Cola to Beer (ビール)
  • Japanese line - 麦芽100%純然たるコクと喉越し ああ、もう夏だ
  • Official English - Although its recipe is unknown, its refreshing taste is known all over the universe.
  • Retranslation: Pure, rich malt flavor with a smooth finish. Ah, it's summer already.
- more missing honorifics restored

Last edited by rsc-pl,

Roamini

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks
I usually play JP games in JP because of shit like this, but I'll try playing in English with this fan TL

Yeah, sometimes I'm grateful for learning some Japanese, and other times I can't stand it since you start realizing just how bad most localizations are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?