PS2 translation VWF issue

NarutoClassicsYT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
anyone with JP games translation or MIPS knowledge?
i'm trying to translate a game named Naruto Uzumaki Ninden, but i'm facing this problem with spaced characters, does anyone ever faced this before?
the original fonts, containing just Kanji are like just one image but splited in 14 files;
but when you change the text to English letters it will just use characters from the first file.
1.png

here's what i did so far.
i've replaced the first font texture with the english alphabet from the US version.
and of course, translated that text part in English.
2.png

And, i was able to find by PCSX2's debbuger what appears to be the XYZ of the text.
3.jpg

but idk how to procced from here, appears to be very complex, and i'm very noob in MIPS;
i don't even know if a VWF like that one from the credits exists on the ELF....

anyone could help me with that? thanks :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trying here as well?

Some might try to subvert an existing routine from another aspect of the game, most would see about doing it themselves though or if they did subvert something then entirely change the font handling so it uses that instead.

Anyway I am not sure what that highlighted part of code is supposed to show me. 4 instructions can mean a lot but http://lukasz.dk/playstation-2-programming/an-introduction-to-ps2dev/ which tells me to look at
https://usermanual.wiki/Pdf/EECoreInstructionSetManual.986088270.pdf
Load word
Not sure as dmove is not mentioned in the documents I have (might be different for that emulator/debugger), there are some move instructions so guessing something to do with those.
Another load
add unsigned.

beqz immediately after that is also not in the link (beq, branch if equal to, is though) and I don't see an obvious tweak to create that. Assuming it is a beq relative then being a conditional operator could have something interesting to it (check if new line is needed, something has ended or whatever) but this is idle speculation at this point.

To that end it might be better to take a step back and cover how you got to this point.
If I am doing such a thing I would look to see where the graphics are displayed (3d, 2d background, 2d sprite, dedicated text engine... I don't know the PS2 that well for this sort of thing) and thus what you want to look at to control it (if this was the DS then most likely the background/BG aspect, as opposed to sprites/objects, and thus would be looking at the bg handler). Reset/load savestate to before something you care to analyse is on screen (hopefully it is not in RAM and only displayed later, go back further if so) or exit room and return/close out NPC conversation and go again/... just get it so it has to draw it again.
Set a debugger to do a break on write to the area controlling the tile/texture locations on screen for the things you care about. Let the game run and when it gets written to the emulator should stop and say just got written.
Most likely it will just be a boring write command that triggers it but you care about the instructions prior to that as that is what will control where something goes, and after that will likely also be where it determines where the next one goes (some games will do a whole block at once, in which case you will be going back).
If just making it all a bit narrower (maybe in conjunction with a graphical font hack) then you might be able to alter its "add so much unless new line" aspect to get it that bit narrower.
A full blown variable width font would also step in here but that would mean having to also shove in a widths table, do some lookups to it, and maybe change any new line detection to handle it (fixed width will add up to a known value, variable might not so a IF equal then new line type setup might need to be if greater than)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto