Translation Requesting assistance on translation patch for Natsu-Mon 20th Century MSV

blashy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I've been working on an English patch for Natsu-Mon 20th Century My Summer Vacation, and assets have been no trouble at translating, I've posted a WIP version on GameBanana
However, when it comes to text, this game is a little weird. There are locres/locmeta files that contain the full text for everything (script, UI, quests etc etc) but altering those does nothing in-game, and instead seems to pull all of the text from MessageTables (cooked in uasset/uexp files of course). I spent quite awhile trying to figure out how these worked, and discovered that the uexp files are just cleartext with two separate text encoders going. What I can only assume is Column 1 uses just regular plain old text, ANSI, and then Column 2 looks like nonsense characters, but it's actually UTF-16 LE. I've been using this tool called Sakura for editing the files since you can select specific lines of text and convert them from UTF-16 to SJIS and then you get your Japanese characters you can translate. The actual editing of the file I've been doing in HxD and next to each text block from Column 1 is the text displayed in-game, again, encoded in UTF-16 with a 4 byte header.

There's a 6 byte blank separation before the next entry and despite my best efforts I can't seem to get the file size to be changeable. I found a int32 in the corresponding uasset that looks pretty close to the file size for the uexp but changing it to match a larger uexp causes the game to crash. However, I have had luck replacing the Japanese characters with UTF-16 encoded English text, at full width so you can use one English character for one Japanese character, making a translation nearly impossible. I tried using UTF-8 to see if it would load it anyway and just displays garbage Japanese characters in game.

I'm hoping that someone here might know anything about editing MessageTables from UE4 and maybe a trick to allow a different character set to load so UTF-8 is possible.

I've attached a photo of replacement UTF-16 text running on the title screen (please don't mind the cell phone photo, I somehow forgot that the Switch has a screenshot button). I don't know what's allowed to be uploaded here or not but if anyone has any interest in working on this with me or just has some advice please let me know, cause I'd love to get a proper English patch for this going, I'm just stuck right now.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• natsumonenglish.png
    natsumonenglish.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: wavvydev

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto